EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Got a few MPG from new wheels and tires and lowering springs (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/got-few-mpg-new-wheels-tires-lowering-springs-21316.html)

GoGreenAuto 04-05-2012 05:40 PM

Got a few MPG from new wheels and tires and lowering springs

Car is a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with 237k. I was getting 48.4 all day long with the factory wheels and some junk tires. Put a set of Konig Helium Ultralight rims with Zeix 512s on there. 4lbs lighter per wheel! Running 42psi front and rear. That took her to 48.8.

Also lowered it 1.3" with a set of Skunk 2 springs for another few points, currently getting 49.2mpg. And that's all without the IMA system working yet!!

Goals; get the IMA working, maybe install an MIMA, and try some LRR tires on the factory rims. Might try making a belly pan for it too, there's definately some drag on the underside where the back of the K frame is and a HUGE pocket where the muffler is.

Frank Lee 04-05-2012 07:05 PM

Such small increases are hard to quantify but yeah that's how the wheels and springs mods are supposed to work.

cbaber 04-05-2012 07:06 PM

Congrats on the increasing numbers. Are those numbers from tank or trip data? I was thinking about buying a set of 03-05 hybrid wheels but then found out they weigh around 14-15 lbs. Not very good for a 14 inch wheel. I'm still looking for a set of HX wheels to convert it back to stock.

Ryland 04-06-2012 12:24 AM

Are the civic hybrid wheels really that heavy? I was thinking about getting a set but if they weigh that much then it's not worth it.

California98Civic 04-06-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoGreenAuto (Post 298356)
Car is a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with 237k. I was getting 48.4 all day long with the factory wheels and some junk tires. Put a set of Konig Helium Ultralight rims with Zeix 512s on there. 4lbs lighter per wheel! Running 42psi front and rear. That took her to 48.8.

Also lowered it 1.3" with a set of Skunk 2 springs for another few points, currently getting 49.2mpg. And that's all without the IMA system working yet!!

Goals; get the IMA working, maybe install an MIMA, and try some LRR tires on the factory rims. Might try making a belly pan for it too, there's definately some drag on the underside where the back of the K frame is and a HUGE pocket where the muffler is.

Cool! With the IMA and summer coming... set up a fuel log and join Team Honda. :thumbup:

cbaber 04-06-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 298502)
Are the civic hybrid wheels really that heavy? I was thinking about getting a set but if they weigh that much then it's not worth it.

I found a guy online that weighed them on a bathroom scale and got 15 pounds without tires. I didn't believe it either but I found another source that got 14 pounds. It seems like after the 1st gen Insight wheel Honda just stopped caring about lightweight wheels. Probably because people cared more about styling than fuel economy.

gasstingy 04-06-2012 08:49 AM

I remember the first time I saw a first generation Insight new at the dealership. All I could think about when I looked at it was: Over $21,000 for that!!!! :eek:

Hindsight being 20 / 20, I coulda', shoulda'..........rats. Another opportunity lost to lack of education.

GoGreenAuto 04-06-2012 04:53 PM

The stockers are pretty heavy. An older set of HX wheels is the way to go if you want factory. They're super rare these days.

I'm assuming they beefed up the wheels because the cars are heavier and if you tag a pot hole they don't want the wheel breaking apart and you crashing the car.

My Heliums are only rated at 500kg a piece. So 1,100lbs, and given a curb weight of 3,500 I'm not in the "danger zone" but close.