Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Didn't do as well on the way back, but it's a gain of 2,000 ft elevation and I had some headwinds. Also did a few unplanned stops looking for a place to eat on the way. End of tank was 81.5MPG according to the meter and 81.7 according to the math. So... I'll claim the victory on this one. I can't help but wonder how much better my MPG would be if I had the right tires on this thing...

Either way, was a good trip. Only downside to this car on the trip was the lack of power on some of those steep climbs... having to keep in 2nd gear the whole climb makes me sad. Ah well. At one point, my intake temps were 177*F! Will have to make some sort of manual WAI/CAI throttle to allow cooler air when it gets that warm, no comfortable with that high of temps (though, nothing happened... doubt it helped me with my lack of power issue, though!)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #182 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Haven't done much with "Frogger", but I gotta say... winter sucks! My MPG, that is.

I went from 80-100mpg average on my daily combined drive of ~7.5 miles, down to 55-70. Ouch! Yesterday, I forgot to plug in my car for pre-warming. Coming into the garage and seeing that plug laying on the floor, instead of plugged into the car, makes me do that Planet of the Apes moment... "DAMN YOU, APES!" Starting out at like 40* or less is the worst.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #183 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I hear you on the weather. It was 20F this morning and I'm struggling to keep the tank above 60 mpg.

I finally threw a space heater in the car for a few minutes to keep me comfortable until the engine warms up enough to get heat. I'll post pics in my thread of what I'm using.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #184 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Been a while!

After an insanly harsh winter and being parked for a few months, I still drove it in the cold and bitter times that the roads allowed. Pulled off a surprising 76.37 tank! This is likely 100% city driving, too.

My last few runs, now that spring is creeping up, has been very positive. In fact, when I parked it in December at ~1/2 tank, the display was telling me I was only low 70's in MPG and was able to get the gauge to give me "79.4 MPG" at the end of the tank. So, I'm confident that I'll be seeing some very good numbers for year 2 of Frogger.

Dropbox has killed my public folder, so I need to figure out how to get the pictures on this site again.

I do have 1 mild new mod...
I bought THESE LED BLINKERS for the front, hoping they would fit. They did! And I mean BARELY. They basically push on the amber factory cover a little, very tight fit. But... they went in, no problem. They are INSANELY bright! I benched them at 13.3v and they pulled a maximum of 0.32a, meaning ~4.25 watts each. A nice little drop... though, with turn signals, not that important.

To kill the hyperblinking, I took out the factory relay for the blinkers (top-right of the fuse box... turn on your hazard light and touch the relay, you can "feel" the clicking) and unsoldered the solid metal bar inside. I then put TWO OF THESE in series to replace it. Now it blinks like normal, without having to solder a resistor per light. Really, 3 in series probably would work better, but meh, good enough. Just once in a while, while engine off, it gets a weird stutter blink, but its rare and still not an issue. I did, however, have to cut the side of the relay housing and have these stick out the top (when plugged in) to make it all fit. I figure, it's able to cool better that way! Yeah... that's why I did it. Cooling...

This year, I plan to finish the underbelly and, with any luck, get around to doing some adjustable grilling. I might also throw a small heat pad onto the trans. I'd love to rid of the antenna housing and rear washer squirter, as well a blank plate made to rid of the nub sticking out from my factory passenger mirror mount. Depending on how things go, I might be able to FINALLY get to real eco tires on this thing (sounds like I'd see a pretty good boost in MPG that way).

Anywho, just a little update on my side of the world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-13-2017), MetroMPG (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #185 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Yup, tires make a huge difference on this car. Outsized difference, actually, since it's got such good aero (maximizes coasting opportunities) and LRR expands the lean burn window.

Quote:
Dropbox has killed my public folder, so I need to figure out how to get the pictures on this site again.
Some people like to use their account's photo album and link to those.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

QUESTION! Anybody completely remove their antenna base and rear squirter? Looking for ideas... I bought a "stick on" in-window antenna that I plan to install, but want to do it all in one shot.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #187 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
QUESTION! Anybody completely remove their antenna base and rear squirter? Looking for ideas... I bought a "stick on" in-window antenna that I plan to install, but want to do it all in one shot.
Give me a link to your stick on antenna? This is on my short list.

AFAIK you're going to want a small rubber plug and some silicon. I couldn't tell you the size but the hole in the roof for the antenna mount is quite small. The mount has rubber around the base as a weather seal, and has a hollow threaded bolt with a nut on the inside, behind the headliner.

EDIT: You should probably pull the squirter pump and hose too. I believe it runs down the passenger B pillar and along the floor to the firewall.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #188 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't know how good it is quite yet... only drove around with it this morning shoved under my dash. Hit some bad spots, so I pulled it through the glovebox and on top of my dash and it was a little better...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan to attach it to my rear drivers window, since I never look out of it when driving.

I'll have to do some research on the plug sizes and such... I'd hate to pull the headliner and find myself putting everything back to do it again because I wasn't prepared!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #189 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Ordered.

Stick some duct tape over the hole and make a trip to Home Depot.

If I take mine out before you do yours, I'll give measurements of the hole.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #190 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Ordered.

Stick some duct tape over the hole and make a trip to Home Depot.

If I take mine out before you do yours, I'll give measurements of the hole.
OH! Forgot to mention... the cable isn't very long. Probably long enough to get to your windshield, but you'll need an extension if you plan to put it on the rear side window like I am... gonna measure it out tonight and find said extension today.

Reply  Post New Thread