Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Its not just fuel enrichment you need to look out for. You can stay in closed loop mode in most modern cars at WOT for quite a while. However, the ignition timing starts to retard at high engine loads. This reduces efficiency first. Then, when the engine can't mitigate pinging with ignition timing, it dumps extra fuel to cool things down, aka open loop mode.

Cobb (10-30-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Somebody with more experience with Gen-1 Insights please pipe in, cause there at least three noobs with Insights here that would love some guidance.

Somebody prove me wrong or confirm my theory here:

My car coasts along getting around 100 mpg in lean burn at whatever cruising speed I'm at, up to about 55 mph, which is about my top speed anyway on my route.

My theory is that the quicker I punch it up to 5th gear and into lean burn, the better. I'm taking less than half the time to get there by accelerating hard than if I great-grandma it up to speed like Ecky's doing, and the mpg meter never goes below 20-30 while I'm accelerating. It takes me twice as long to hit lean burn if I gradually increase speed, and I'm still dipping below 50 mpg while accelerating, so maybe it's a wash?

I'm not sure which method works best, but I'll Mr. Bean it too if that gains me some mpgs! It's not like I didn't do it in the Black Widow!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I thought that accelerating hard was actually better for fuel economy.
It is, unless the throttle is mashed enough to engage the electric motors.

The ideal acceleration rate on a Prius would be as much engine load as possible before the electric motors kick in. I know there is a display on the Gen III Prii that indicates what portion of the gasoline power is being utilized, along with what portion the electrics.

I don't remember how the Gen II displays this. You might need a SG on a Gen II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Welcome to California! State of the most idiotic drivers in the country! Tbh I either flip them off back, or in the case they flash their brights at me, I just pop it in neutral and coast ...
No need to retaliate. The other driver is already pissed, so they have already been punished for their impatience and rudeness.

I usually ignore other drivers, because maintaining my own happiness is a much better payback for others disrespect. It's a much better attitude than when I first started driving; honking and yelling at everyone on the road.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-30-2014), OG VX (12-29-2014), Xist (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Re the Insight, I do tend to leave stop lights &c faster than about 90% of drivers*, and still have averaged over 70 mpg (for 130K+ miles). I'm not accelerating all that hard, either: maybe a bit over half throttle, and enough to kick in the assist. I've never done anything more than seat of the pants testing with my Insight (and really don't know how you would, without buying a lot of expensive measuring equipment), but brisk acceleration does seem better, in general, than a slow crawl.

*Though I put a lot of this down to reaction time: I tend to leave when the light turns green, not some seconds later when the stimulus finally trickles down to the dinosaur brain :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Cobb (10-30-2014), Hypermiler1995 (11-21-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Ignoring other drivers passes up the greatest single source of amusement out there. If they really wanted past, they'd lay back, watch for a passing opportunity and gas it so that when that passing spot appears, they're right behind me at passing speed and pop out at the appropiate time. If they're not doing that then what they really want to do is sit there entertaining you.

Reaction time is funny. I can start up when the light turns green and still be first off the line. Kind of sad, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Cobb (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
I'm not accelerating all that hard, either: maybe a bit over half throttle, and enough to kick in the assist.
For the record, that's basically my definition of "punching it" in the Turtle! Pretty much keeping up with traffic, lol.

I kick it in with assist up to cruising speed, but I'm not red-lining it or anything, and I shift around 3K to 3500 rpm until 3rd, and sometimes skip 4th and jump straight into fifth.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The ideal acceleration rate on a Prius would be as much engine load as possible before the electric motors kick in.
I can't quite see this. Though I'm not familiar with the Prius, it would seem that the absolute optimum would be a Volt-like constant engine load (running at best BSFC), and using the electric motor to add power for acceleration. Especially since that power is (optimally) saved from what would otherwise be wasted as heat in braking.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I generally avoid situations where any confrontation even begins to evolve, but then I imagine most other drivers feel pity for me in my ancient car. They can laugh, they can get aggravated, but would have to look pretty hard for any reason. Generally I am behind something that they pass long before they get too close and when 90% of the drivers are passing me I get a mileage boost from the never ending stream of higher speed cars.

I watch my 6 most carefully but with peripheral vision so as not to allow something ahead to catch me unattentive. Tailgaters get tired of speed changes and usually pass without agressive actions.

Pop always says, " I would rather have the idiots in front of me instead of behind me."
I find that to be good advice as long as I can fingure out which ones are really stupid before they get me into a chain reaction event.

regards
mech
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome to our world.

I have a 2nd gen insight, which looks like a 2nd gen prius. I find this more often happens in rush hour. Its just asking for an accident to try to drive in an eco manner in regards to driving slower, accelerating slower, etc. I find in many cases I can go twice the posted limit with flow of traffic and police cars pass everyone. I usually end up driving it like a rental car, pushing either the gas or brake to the floor, making 90 degree turns at 45 mph, taking on/off ramp at 70 and there is usually a car 3 ft from my bumper.

The fun part is there are plenty of a holes out there. The few who have a POS that can exceed what Im doing just to get in front of me has 3 more cars waiting to cut them off or suddenly slow down for no reason.

Yeah, we got guys purposely drive slower when you approach them, then speed up when you go to pass. If I get in a situation like that I make sure there is a 15 mph gap so I can win.

In general hybrids are their most efficient the least you use of its electric system. Both the insight and prius work best to use gas to accelerate and load the engine to a point. Then coast to a stop with minor use of the electric system to extend coasting. With the gen 1 insight with lean burn you use lean burn while coasting to extend coasting and not use ima for triple digit mpg. Those who post that typically do not exceed 50 mph, P&G a lot.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I find in many cases I can go twice the posted limit with flow of traffic and police cars pass everyone.
You need to update your profile. When did you move to Massachusetts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Cobb (10-31-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread