Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Fix volume knob malfunction

For years my OEM stereo volume knob has been acting strangely. Turn volume up, and it sometimes goes down, does not change, or jumps up and down. Turn it down and it might do any of the same actions. The only thing it rarely does is what you expect.

It occurred to me to Google a fix. Lots of radios apparently suffer this problem, from BMW to Mercedes and Bentley. My Honda Civic has some high end company.

The pages I found called for removing the knob and cleaning the electronic contacts underneath with electronic contact cleaner. But I didn't have contact cleaner and the knob felt like it would break before it would come off.

So, McGuyver it with a procedure:

(1) I substituted Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner (had it on hand)
(2) I left the knob in place (can't break what you don't pry)
(3) used the little red straw on the nozzle and a paper towel below the knob for runoff & jetted cleaner into the space between knob and stereo face.

A few squirts and maybe 10 seconds of twisting the knob and a years-old frustration was gone.

So simple & effective I had to share it to celebrate.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-25-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
Not a volume knob but somewhat similar case.
I had CE-light come up in my punto several times and indicated a faulty cat. I searched for used and new cats online for a month. But then i tought, why not and sprayed crc contact cleaner into the connector of the lambda sensors wire. Bam, problem solved

Reply  Post New Thread