EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Grille Block (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grille-block-19936.html)

pletby 12-31-2011 02:33 PM

Grille Block

Ok, it's way past time to install a grille block on The Car. So far this Winter we've had very mild temperatures in this part of the world and I know the deep freeze is coming so here goes.

Unfortunately my Wife's cat chewed my camera dock cord, so no pics will I post until sometime in the future. (No animal of MINE would do that:eek:)

This car has overheating problems as a known issue, so I'll be watching the temps with Ultragauge as I go. Will block upper opening and partial lower as a start, using cardboard until satisfied with shape and mounting. Since I drive mostly highway during the week and mostly shared with Wife city during the weekend, I may make a removable/adjustable grille cover to maximize for both modes.

Oh, and another reason I'm doing this is for the aero. I have a long highway commute now and this mod should create more impact on economy in this
mode.

Just looking at the pic of my car I can't believe I didn't notice the license plate. It's really out in the breeze; a vertical flat surface perched on a curved bumper. Wonder if bending it to form fit the bumper would offend Big Brother? Should still be able to read it.

capnbass91 12-31-2011 04:00 PM

Do you plan on putting the block in front or behind the grill? I think the difference on the effect on FE would be miniscule.
I did a partial upper grill block in front of the grill, it was a somewhat difficult. I think doing it behind the grill would have been easier. The way my car is the hood isn't flush with the grill (which is annoying) and soon I'm going to do a full upper grill block behind the grill, looks better that way too because the mod is hidden.

pletby 12-31-2011 06:58 PM

I'm putting the block in front of the grille. Could be a little tricky, but I feel it'd be more effective. Here where it gets pretty cold lots of people put some kind of grille cover on, so it's not that out of place at all. Heck, I've seen quite a few covers made of cardboard even. I've done that but they don't last long once the temps warm up close to freezing again. This time I'll make one out of coroplast most likely. I have some flat black paint left over from one of my projects this summer, so I think they'll be black.

pletby 01-01-2012 03:34 PM

Well I got a temporary top grille cover in today. Finding daylight yesterday was difficult. Since it was super easy to remove the grille from the car I just took it inside the house to work on it. 20 minutes later I had a cheater cover installed behind the grille (yeah, I didn't have enough time to make one in front yet) made of cardboard as my source of coroplast isn't available until next weekend. I zip tied the cover in place and may have done a little overkill but I'd rather that than folded cardboard. That part was so easy I am confident installing one on the front of the grille will be no big deal, just a bit finicky with the gap I have to fill in behind the cover to make it flush with the bodywork.

pletby 01-13-2012 12:05 AM

Well the deep freeze is on all of a sudden. It's been unusually warm this last few months in Winnipeg but now it's back to normal for a bit. -25 tonight and it feels like -28. Brrr. Slapped on a quick cardboard grille block for the lower grille so that it's all completely blocked. Warm up is the same as fall temps without overheating in the city. Bonus! I have to turn down the heat on the highway. Bonus!:D

pletby 12-29-2012 06:29 PM

Ok guys, I see I goofed and didn't finish what I was writing about. I'll update shortly on my finished grille block, which I'm currently modding as Dad drove my car without stowing the block heater cord. To fix that the block had to come off. Stay tuned!