Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
It’s too bad we don’t get the little sport bikes here, i would love a 125. And no, I don’t count the grom/z125. I want my 6 speed transmission and fairings.
The absence of a 125cc sports motorcycle is also an issue here in Brazil, where this displacement range is usually treated as a lower-end market worth only for high-selling utility motorcycles such as the Honda CG and the Yamaha YBR. The technical sophistication of a full-fairing, 6-speed, liquid-cooled 125cc would most likely render those uncompetitive against a 250cc with a similar project. Actually, even an air-cooled single 250cc would be pointed out as better by many riders just because of its higher displacement, since people here still tend to look only at the displacement as somewhat of a "premium" feature. Those small sports motorcycles tend to have better market perspectives in Southeast Asia mostly due to the higher cost of ownership of a larger one and the fact that some jurisdictions also impose some restrictions on the bigger engines.

Quote:
It’s a solid 15 year wait until I could legally import a fuel injected cbr 125.
I could try to privately import a brand-new one here in Brazil, but the cost wouldn't justify it. Anyway, apart from the emissions compliance, what would be the other issues regarding a grey-import there in the U.S. that I'm not aware of?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The absence of a 125cc sports motorcycle is also an issue here in Brazil, where this displacement range is usually treated as a lower-end market worth only for high-selling utility motorcycles such as the Honda CG and the Yamaha YBR. The technical sophistication of a full-fairing, 6-speed, liquid-cooled 125cc would most likely render those uncompetitive against a 250cc with a similar project. Actually, even an air-cooled single 250cc would be pointed out as better by many riders just because of its higher displacement, since people here still tend to look only at the displacement as somewhat of a "premium" feature. Those small sports motorcycles tend to have better market perspectives in Southeast Asia mostly due to the higher cost of ownership of a larger one and the fact that some jurisdictions also impose some restrictions on the bigger engines.

I could try to privately import a brand-new one here in Brazil, but the cost wouldn't justify it. Anyway, apart from the emissions compliance, what would be the other issues regarding a grey-import there in the U.S. that I'm not aware of?
Yup, bigger engines get more appeal, its sad because smaller engines let you have more fun legally.

There are lighting concerns, something about the color of the lights. I think it was that red turn signals are not legal? Dunno, but my cbr 250 came in a legal setup for the U.S. and it has amber turn signals. There might also be a mph speedo requirement, but i'm not sure about that. I just know the conversions.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 11-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
There are lighting concerns, something about the color of the lights. I think it was that red turn signals are not legal? Dunno, but my cbr 250 came in a legal setup for the U.S. and it has amber turn signals.
IIRC amber turn signals are the standard for motorcycles everywhere. Red turn signals for cars, trucks and buses had been basically an American deal, extensive to Canada and Mexico. Well, there were some older cars with red turn signals in Brazil too, and more recently some models imported from Mexico also have this feature, but it's not mainstream anymore. When it comes to motorcycles, unless they had been modded, I have never seen one with stock red turn signals.

Quote:
There might also be a mph speedo requirement, but i'm not sure about that. I just know the conversions.
With analog displays it was easier to have both km/h and MPH displayed together, even though the odometer would show either miles or kilometers.

Reply  Post New Thread