Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave View Post
A co-worker's sister once got a ticket for coasting. She was stopped for speeding, but she told the LEO that she wasn't speeding, she was coasting. She only got a ticket for coasting, which I believe is a no-points ticket.

IMBFOS, but as I understand hybrids, most are in regenerative braking mode when they auto stop on a downgrade. That's not quite coasting.

Coasting on a downgrade in neutral (engine off or running) is prohibited in Arizona per ARS 28-895. So I don't coast on downgrades. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
In the Prius, if you position the accelerator pedal correctly you will coast without regeneration. Let up on the pedal some more and you get regeneration.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Mechanic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post

It started out as "of the people by the people and for the people"

Now it is "of the attorneys by the attorneys and for the attorneys"

regards
Mech
I forget where I read or heard this, but in Japan, there are about 10 engineers for every lawyer. In the USA, there are about 10 lawyers for every engineer. I think that says a lot.

dwtaylorpdx -

Here's a thread on an almost-ticket :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ight-3497.html

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
But you are not required to bare witness against yourself either. I don't know how they could tell otherwise.
It's -20 outside and the officer says "Sir, I didn't see anything coming out of your pipe..."

Yeah, it's much harder now than it was in the old days when you could hear a running engine from a mile away.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49 mpg (US)
The only way I'm going to get pulled over for EOC is if I hit a superlegal velocity on a downhill. And it happens.

I've noticed that engine off or on, most of the noise of a vehicle going by is actually wind and tires. The engine doesn't add much to a vehicle's sound signature at speed. And through a typical vehicle window, a cop can't hear if you're on or not.

Now, I did notice a cop do a double-take when I suddenly lost a couple of MPH and my taillights got a little brighter after finishing my glide at speed, but he didn't pull me over. I guess taillights getting "brighter" isn't enough of an issue to hassle with.

Now this is just me, but aren't you coasting, however briefly, in neutral as you go from one gear to another? Maybe I'm just shifting reeeeaaallly sllloooowwwly.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Cd (10-06-2009), Fat Charlie (03-02-2016)
Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I forget where I read or heard this, but in Japan, there are about 10 engineers for every lawyer. In the USA, there are about 10 lawyers for every engineer.
...yup! In this rosey world of ours, we've (USA) got more FERTILIZER than we got FLOWERS (note the subject appropriate 'color' coding)!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Yes, you're in neutral between gears. When shifting, rev matching on the upshift is optimal, as the syncho's don't have to have work as hard to match speed. Shift slowly and deliberately, but don't wait until you're idling again (unless that's your shift point.)

Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Draco - '89 Ford F150 ext cab shrt bed XLT Lariat
90 day: 16.45 mpg (US)
Reason I was always told eoc is illegal is because it comprimises the effectiveness of steering and brakes. That and sitting at a light the average person couldn't avoid a rearend collision, by getting out of the way quick enough with the engine off.

You can pick up a vacuum pump at a junkyard and always have the same pedal feel. for little cars manual steering is a good option. when I need to turn the wheel more than a lil I usually leave the ign off but pop it back in gear and let the wheels turn the motor bringing the PS back to norm.

As for avoiding a rearend collision, I just pay attention and am ready to go at an instant.

But Honestly I think they just dont want you to use the roads if your not burning gas that gives them tax dollars.

I was crossing the street the other day on foot there was heavy traffic and all I could smell was exhaust Imagine how big an impact it would make If engines never Idled.

Kinda makes me think of the saying Idle hands are the devil's playground.

Idleing engines are are such a gross waste. If its not moving the vehicle forward it shouldn't be on.

Last edited by CoastRider; 10-06-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
EOC is probably illegal because the average driver would probably screw it up. Don't realize the power steering and brakes are gone until they try to use them (and have likely never tried using unpowered brakes and steering before). Or turn the key too far back and lock the steering wheel. Just like most laws that are designed to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Also some cars won't do it (my van is designed to only restart in Park, it won't restart in Neutral).

Long before trying to save fuel, I commonly use neutral for steep downhills and slippery intersections in the winter. Back when more people paid attention to their driving, it was a more of a common thing. Taking the engine braking out of the equation gives a lot more control. They can write me up if they want, I'd rather not do a 180 on a steep slippery hill.

Also at a light you might be able to get away under a controlled number of conditions. Being you are the first one there, AND nobody is coming in the cross direction. I'd rather be rearended than t-boned.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You never lose power steering or brakes. You lose the assist that the power provides. The mechanical linkages are not affected, nor are the hydraulics.

I would agree 100% with the fact you could get badly hurt sitting at a light with the engine off. I have pulled ahead through a red light at least 6 times to keep from being hit in the rear end, and actually had the other driver thank me for my avoiding an accident that would have been their fault.

I tried EOC in the Echo for a week. The mileage gain for me was not worth the effort.
From 52 to 56 MPG, I was wearing out a lot of stuff for such a slight gain. There are no significant grades here that give me long distance coasting, unlike in areas of greater elevation changes where I have coasted for 3 miles.

For the .3 gallon of fuel saved in 375 miles, in my situation that does not justify the hundreds of extra operations involved, additional wear and loss of situational awareness.

Not for 70 cents every 375 miles.

A big part of it for me is the fact that I have mastered the light timing and DFCO which makes the difference much less than some might experience. I would say its very situation and geography specific.

regards
Mech
Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Old Mechanic -

I forget where I read or heard this, but in Japan, there are about 10 engineers for every lawyer. In the USA, there are about 10 lawyers for every engineer. I think that says a lot.

dwtaylorpdx -

Here's a thread on an almost-ticket :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ight-3497.html

CarloSW2
In our local phone book there are about 15 Architects listed.

40 pages of attorneys.

Thomas Jefferson wanted to limit the number of attorneys to 1 for every 1600voting citizens, which today would work out to about 1 in 10,000 population or even higher.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread