Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
In the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, at least, there's no mention of coasting or neutral.

Quote:
I would agree 100% with the fact you could get badly hurt sitting at a light with the engine off. I have pulled ahead through a red light at least 6 times to keep from being hit in the rear end, and actually had the other driver thank me for my avoiding an accident that would have been their fault.
Nice work! Seriously.

Quote:
loss of situational awareness
I'd suggest situational awareness might actually be higher for someone doing EOC - once they're practiced at the purely mechanical steps involved, since s/he needs to evaluate the traffic environment more effectively to know in advance when the technique is appropriate to use or not.

Definitely increased hazard when just learning it however (as is any new driving task).

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I was driving a K2500 with a big V8 and a slushbox last week. I was getting about 10mpg, so I made sure to hypermile. I EOC'd up to a stop sign, and then saw there was a police roadblock, checking inspection stickers and whatnot. So I cringed, fired up my silly-large clattering V8, and started to think of excuses for my blatant EOC. I'm sure the officers noticed, but they didn't say anything to me about it.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I don't find anything in PA Code Title 67 or Title 34, Vehicle Code, General Law, respectively, that would even make mention of operating while in Neutral or coasting w/ the engine off.

The only mention is brake service systems. The minimum requirement is that parking brakes be sufficient to retain a vehicle agaisnt freewheel coasting while the vehicle is parked on a 20% grade and transmission disengaged (neutral).

Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,120 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
I was driving a K2500 with a big V8 and a slushbox last week. I was getting about 10mpg, so I made sure to hypermile. I EOC'd up to a stop sign, and then saw there was a police roadblock, checking inspection stickers and whatnot. So I cringed, fired up my silly-large clattering V8, and started to think of excuses for my blatant EOC. I'm sure the officers noticed, but they didn't say anything to me about it.
" But officer, it keeps dying on me ( looking frustrated ) This is the third time this week that this piece of junk has done this. I'm gonna have to get the dealer to fix this. " ( snicker snicker )
Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I had no clue that was a law

in 2006, I had just pt a 2wd subaru on the road, changed belts, had to remove the crank pulley. I knew they were underpowered, so I fixed some timing errors, added some cold air.
Out on the highway, thought it was peppy, so I floored it, already at maines typical 80mph stampede of the north, and the belt pulley came off. engine idled, I coasted for several miles. Some kind of inertia was happening. I never figured it out, and know I will never see it again. it slowed down by 10mph over 15000 feet up and over a hill and around an exit corner. anyway, I am so glad I didn't get criminalized over it...I will always remember it as genius in action.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
In the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, at least, there's no mention of coasting or neutral.
Quote:
Careless driving
130. Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 41.
Given the definition of due care:

Quote:
Due care refers to the effort made by an ordinarily prudent or reasonable party to avoid harm to another, taking the circumstances into account. It refers to the level of judgment, care, prudence, determination, and activity that a person would reasonably be expected to do under particular circumstances.
If coasting in neutral or with the engine off is deemed unreasonable under the circumstances, coasting could be considered careless driving. It might be stretching it, but given that most people consider coasting in neutral dangerous, let alone eoc, I could see someone getting a ticket for that.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Tas - I think, in that case, one could use the EV/Hybrid defense, stating the availability of Forced Auto Stop and the ability of the driver to essentially apply Neutral Coasting during FAS.

One could also use the same kind of defense as prima facie speed limits in the US, wherein one could use relative safety during speeding as a defense, if one could prove that they were doing so in a safe manner. (Yes, in Texas, you could legally do 150 in a 15, get ticketed, and prove you were doing it safely (good luck), thereby getting off the ticket altogehter. This also applies in other states, but I'm not sure about which ones.)

So, of course, the term "safe" is relative to people's beliefs, but I'm sure it'd work for a defense, in either case.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Any of you hear about a FAS switch?

Click it and the gas engine is off, but the other 12v systems (including steering) is on.

On the MIMA installation on the original Honda Insight, the slightest tap on the accelerator restarts the engine.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Mechanic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
In our local phone book there are about 15 Architects listed.

40 pages of attorneys.

Thomas Jefferson wanted to limit the number of attorneys to 1 for every 1600voting citizens, which today would work out to about 1 in 10,000 population or even higher.

regards
Mech
It's funny you mentioned architects and attorneys in the same post. Maybe 20 years ago I went to an architecture seminar in which architects were trying to figure out how to maintain relevance. The problem was and is, there are too many per capita :

How architects' incomes have fared in the United States | archsoc.com
Quote:
By the mid-2000s, architects were as common as ushers and lobby atendants (source: OES 2006).
It may be that the feeling of malaise in the occupation has little to do with economics, and more to do with the sociological bloating of the occupation. Too many graduates competing for the same share of the pie.
In the seminar they cited a similar turn-of-the (previous) century quandary that lawyers were facing. Their answer was to state that their "skillzz" were universally applicable to other professions. The idea was, you could get a lawyer's degree and then go do something else, like be a politician or a manager. The architect's argument was that they had "universal" skillzz too, but weren't figuring out how to apply them outside of architecture.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Given the definition of due care:
I think it's likely that in order for an officer to be applying the law under "due care", you must have done something pretty seriously wrong to have attracted attention. In which case, the officer is probably right to apply it.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread