Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
aeromod+cooling idea thoughts?

this is what I have right now.

my thoughts are as usual. grille blocks etc. but I wanted to take it a step farther and wanted to know what you guys thought.

the red would be the grille blocks. the blue would be the mustang mach1 under bumper lip
the yellow would be the air inlet (with a lip across the front the sides are flat on oem bumper and under the grille its a 45 degree angled back section)

I was thinking of cutting a slot in the 45 degree section (I can make a duct box to direct it to the radiator behind the bumper) and either open a slot in the cowl area or vents at rear of hood or fenders if better.

I plan on doing a full under belly pan. I know only testing can tell but do you think this will be adequate? and not just create more drag then before?

the upper grille is above the radiator so its doubtful its for cooling. the lower grille is only a half opening due to the bumper support blocking the lower half of it.

and also. I plan to block them with 1/4" smoked polycarb sheeting covered in mesh (to appear stock) would there be a large difference in doing this flush with outside of grilles or sunken like 2 inches like oem?

thanks in advance

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
You might get away with blocking that much in winter, but I fear it'll prove too much in summer.

If your car has a cooler for the transmission oil, make sure it still gets plenty of cooling air.

Smoother is marginally better, but probably not by enough that you'll be able to tell the difference in daily driving.
That's why OEMs block the grilles on the inside - making you wonder why they keep the grilles all together, but that's the marketing and brand image boys having their say.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

as for the cooler for atf it is inside my radiator. if it helps my honda recieved a full size radiator. same model as many V6 hondas.

I was hoping the scoop from the bottom would be enough for the summer. along with an exit for air also. due to the bottom eventually being sealed with a belly pan.

the upper grille that is above the radiator measures 29" X 5"
the lower grille actual opening is 33" X 5"
the slot I would cut in the leading edge of the bumper would measure 37" X 1.5" (could be larger but that is the limit to being done in such a way where it is un seen)

also my fenders they are hollow and theres a 6 inch space between the framerail/strut tower? the fenders are held on with 3 small standoff brackets. so from the engine bay you can see through to the inner side of the fender panel.

would something like these at the rear of the upper fender to evacuate the hot air be a drawback in aero? in both shape and the hot air?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
yellow opening

I think that your radiator is too close to the grille to allow the bottom inlet to provide enough flow.
To do this sort of restriction,you need an airtight duct as deep( front/rear) as the radiator is high,with a diverging interior nozzle designed into the duct,with no less than 1/6th radiator height inlet opening.Which would require that the nose be pushed forward of its present location.
I would not locate the slot opening elevation any lower than the bottom of the radiator core unless you've got a significant snout out there to help scoop air.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I figured I would update my progress so far.

ive made my foglight covers. to both protect and to smooth the air flow alil.

ive also installed the lower lip. its hard to photo.

now just to add a note. this is just about mow low I plan to go.
dont mind the music.

at that height my front lip should be pretty close to the ground. my wheels and tires should fill the wheelwells pretty good. hoping to see an increase in aero.

but sofar in the last 8 tanks since ive done these mods ive seen a consistent 0.7 mpg increase and I havent changed my driving style. going from 18.8mpg avg to 19.6mpg is a good start ide say.

as it gets warmer I will start to test grille blocks. 2 years older then my car the SC model had a 90% blocked grill due to its style design so I assume it would be safe to start with an upper grille block.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CRX HF - '91 Honda CRX HF
Team Honda
90 day: 68.45 mpg (US)
That's a nice looking Element