Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Heating water with a compost pile?...

Has anyone heard of this? I think I may have had a little light bulb come on.
I have been trying to brain storm for some time about how to make my house more “green” (a.k.a. cheap consumers bills). Well today I came up with an idea that I don’t think I have heard anyone mention. It consists of two “green” lifestyles. Composting and heating water with off grid tech. My idea, if you haven’t already figured it out... Came to me while I was watching this youtube video, see video below.
Now, I am not sure about you but as soon as I found out how hot a compost pile gets. I thought to myself... WATER HEATER! Has any one done this? I would love to hear your comments! Why isn’t everyone doing this?
From my site...
Instead of Solar

Youtube video that mad me think of it...

Any one? Would this work?

Last edited by SKIN; 05-01-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SKIN,
Welcome to the place.

The hot water from compost pile idea I tried years ago and it does work BUT there are limitations.
The first batch of water is heated but as time goes on the heating becomes less as the compost pile cools. The lower temps caused by the water flowing through and taking the heat away mean the compost activity slow and eventually stops around the tubes carrying the water.
If the compost pile is large the rest of the pile still stays at the warmer temp. If it is small it also cools and the whole pile stops turning from vegetable waste to friable compost and just rots instead.

You may have better success.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers , Pete.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

80 - '91 Toyota Land Cruiser
It should work-- compost gets hot.
Maybe the best approach is to use the compost as a pre-heater before your water hits the water heater. Otherwise, you'll need a very large compost pile to get your water and keep it hot.

I'd think that the trouble would be making a pipe system that allows you to mix/stir the compost without damaging the pipes, yet still allows good heat transfer.

Reply  Post New Thread