Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Welcome, TX_Dj!

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mega - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab Dually SLT
Team Cummins
Last 3: 20.68 mpg (US)

Akane - '11 Honda CBR250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 51.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Suitably advanced engine timing and some aero work is really going to be "the thing" for highway deadhead miles.

Great start!

Thanks.

On the 22.7 mpg return trip from the hills, I was running smarty revo #0 w/ tq1 tm4 rp2 sl55... Was looking for advanced timing (with the tm4) and better atomization (with the rp2) and less power overall and a brick wall limiter on speed to avoid temptation. It worked, netting me more than 2.5 mpg additional over my last run.

As for aero, a better air dam has been on my to-do list for some time, but I don't think I'll be messing with it until I get a replacement bumper. My bumper does need replacement, and I'll be going aftermarket with a baja/prerunner style so I have the least amount of additional aero drag (but some, because I do want something to protect the grill). So that way I'll only be building one air dam instead of building twice. But, the more I think about it, building again when I get to the point of buying that new bumper I'll have already had some trial and error and experience building one.

Last night, I spent most of the evening obsessing and sketching designs for an automatic louvered grill which would open just enough at any ambient temp to let the truck maintain 190-200 degrees, blocking off the rest (and blocking entirely for faster warm-ups.)

Don't know if I can pull it off, but the more I look at it, the easier it looks to be done on a stock-style grill vs. the "big open mouth" style that's on the truck now.

2011 Honda CBR250R (brand spankin' new)
Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Cummins

Motorcycle
After spending a few days debating with myself, I just ordered an UltraGauge EM... It's less expensive than the ScanGauge-II, seems to have all the same features and a larger display, and autodetects all the supported gauge configurations without having to enter codes. Time will tell if I made the right choice...

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Dj View Post
Thanks.

On the 22.7 mpg return trip from the hills, I was running smarty revo #0 w/ tq1 tm4 rp2 sl55... Was looking for advanced timing (with the tm4) and better atomization (with the rp2) and less power overall and a brick wall limiter on speed to avoid temptation. It worked, netting me more than 2.5 mpg additional over my last run.

As for aero, a better air dam has been on my to-do list for some time, but I don't think I'll be messing with it until I get a replacement bumper. My bumper does need replacement, and I'll be going aftermarket with a baja/prerunner style so I have the least amount of additional aero drag (but some, because I do want something to protect the grill). So that way I'll only be building one air dam instead of building twice. But, the more I think about it, building again when I get to the point of buying that new bumper I'll have already had some trial and error and experience building one.

Last night, I spent most of the evening obsessing and sketching designs for an automatic louvered grill which would open just enough at any ambient temp to let the truck maintain 190-200 degrees, blocking off the rest (and blocking entirely for faster warm-ups.)

Don't know if I can pull it off, but the more I look at it, the easier it looks to be done on a stock-style grill vs. the "big open mouth" style that's on the truck now.
I have one of those grille designs roaming around in my gray matter as well. I built custom boxes and running boards, side trim for my truck out of hardwood and marine ply, the bumpers and grille are next.
On a mechanical note, I installed my new injectors a few minutes ago, and fired it off. Sounds great, can't wait till tomorrow to check and set the idle, look for leaks, etc.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Big Blue - '05 Dodge Ram 2500 QC SB SRW
Team Cummins
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)
TX_DJ,

Welcome! Although I make a bunch of high mileage, high mpg runs; I do use my truck for *work* runs, as well. Including this past fill-up that included a couple of sheetrock loads and a full load of firewood to a friends house. The overall fill-up netted ~15mpg. Welcome to the team!

Upgrades include:
5" Turbo-back exhaust
Banks 3.5" Ram Air Inake Manifold
K&N Air Filter (stock box)
ARE Cab high bed cap or SolidFold Tonneau
Quadzilla Max Mileage Tuner
Michelin LTX M/S2 (LRR) Tires 235/80-17
Bully Dog GT (Gauge/Tuner)
Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan
aFe Exhaust Manifold
Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Cummins

Motorcycle
Thanks Luckey, As we can see from my fuel log, I've not always been too mindful about FE in this truck, and it got worse as my injectors started dying. I was pleasantly surprised to see my FE was no worse with the high performance programs after I added all the extra stuff and swapped my injectors... and even more pleased to see real FE numbers when I was trying to achieve them. Best with the old injectors was a hair over 20 on a long run. First attempt at the same trip after all the changes was 22.7, so definitely heading in the right direction.

This week I'll be experimenting with reduced "PoD" on the full performance program, seeing if I can get reasonable performance with its power reduced by that method, as it is leaps and bounds more drive-able than the Revo sw0. If not, I'll see if TNT-R has a sw0 as well, I don't know that it does... but swapping from Revo sw0 back to stock, reprogram the programmer, put TNT-R sw7 back on, and reverse takes about 45 minutes each time I do it... not very handy for when I need some power in the truck.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I also have a dodge cummins but mine is in a 1 ton chevy crewcab dually ... i had an aux overdrive (gear vendor) behind the five speed o/d dodge tranny w/ 3.73 gears and my engine ran 975 rpm @ 65 mph and i got over 33 mpg oith straight diesel ... unfortunately you have a newer diesel that has electronic unit injectors ... you cant do much more than chip those and make turbo mods to gain effeciency ... I can however vouch that a larger air cooler does wonders ... my engine is a 93 and had had a very small air cooler ... i put a 02 cooler in my chevy and i gained about six mpg putting the same engine from the dodge to the chevy .... i then put hydrogen into the intake with a homemade hyd generator at about 5 litres per minute and then got 127.5 mpg ... tested fillup to fillup ... (306 miles used 2.4 gallons diesel )
On another note I am a full time diesel mechanic by trade and i also installed a 2.2 litre diesel engine into a 19920 toyota four runner and i got over 45 mpg with just straight diesel ... i have to overhaul the engine before i can do any further tests on it but i expect that once i have the aux o/d unit in it and add on the hydrogen i should get over 200 mpg ... based on the exponential increments i saw with my dually p/u ... if you want to by a suv and a new turbo diesel i would be glad to do the conversion .. i have some custom made tools ... one of a kind ... just for making custom adaptors and conversions .... this four runner is a nice vehicle ... and drives great ... it will pass almost anything on the highway ... even the fuel stops ...lol
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

when you block off your air flow you will lose FE due to AIR to AIR effenciency loss ... air flow is critical to fuel economy with an air to air aftercooler ... if you want to reduce air flow you would have to move your air cooler to a different location and then install elect fans ... i dont think its worth the trouble
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Its been my experience that when you cover your bed or drop your tailgate you lose FE .... the reason behind this is that you develope a high pressure pocket in the bed of your truck ... the tailogate catches air ... yes ... but you get the same amount of pressure against the rear of your cab ... resulting in push ... with a a greater surface area .... this actualy means that your best effenciency is with tailgate up bed empty...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I also have a dodge cummins but mine is in a 1 ton chevy crewcab dually ... i had an aux overdrive (gear vendor) behind the five speed o/d dodge tranny w/ 3.73 gears and my engine ran 975 rpm @ 65 mph and i got over 33 mpg oith straight diesel ... unfortunately you have a newer diesel that has electronic unit injectors ... you cant do much more than chip those and make turbo mods to gain effeciency ... I can however vouch that a larger air cooler does wonders ... my engine is a 93 and had had a very small air cooler ... i put a 02 cooler in my chevy and i gained about six mpg putting the same engine from the dodge to the chevy .... i then put hydrogen into the intake with a homemade hyd generator at about 5 litres per minute and then got 127.5 mpg ... tested fillup to fillup ... (306 miles used 2.4 gallons diesel )
On another note I am a full time diesel mechanic by trade and i also installed a 2.2 litre diesel engine into a 19920 toyota four runner and i got over 45 mpg with just straight diesel ... i have to overhaul the engine before i can do any further tests on it but i expect that once i have the aux o/d unit in it and add on the hydrogen i should get over 200 mpg ... based on the exponential increments i saw with my dually p/u ... if you want to by a suv and a new turbo diesel i would be glad to do the conversion .. i have some custom made tools ... one of a kind ... just for making custom adaptors and conversions .... this four runner is a nice vehicle ... and drives great ... it will pass almost anything on the highway ... even the fuel stops ...lol

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
cummins, diesel, dodge, efficiency, ram