Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Serious suggestion for improving your overall fuel consumption? Buy an older economy car for the daily commute (spending maybe $2-3K), save the pickup for when you haul, tow, or go hunting (presumably on rough dirt).

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
baldyhunter (04-18-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Get a ScanGauge or UltraGauge. Either will plug into the truck's OBDII connector just like a code reader. The gauge will give instantaneous mpg, actually updated every 1-2 seconds. Also provides trip and tank mpg data, as well as useful information such as engine temperature, intake air temp, % load, etc.

That instant feedback is invaluable in refining your driving technique. I learned that my car - which averaged over 50 mpg last summer - gets only about 10 mpg when I stomp on it in 3rd gear. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict reduced mpg in third with foot down hard, but there's nothing quite like seeing the numbers in front of you, real time.

Good luck with it!

And you can use the same gauge in the fuel sipper car suggested above by jamesqf.

The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
baldyhunter (04-18-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
Slowing down the 65 MPH portion of your commute to 55 MPH will only cost you 2 or 3 minutes at the most. My truck gets about 20% better MPG at 55 than 65 MPH.

Study up on DWL and DWB.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
baldyhunter (04-18-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Another vote for the extra car.

Personally, I would consider selling the truck. Sounds like it is practically new and would bring a decent price.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Since you bought the truck new, selling it will probably lose you a lot of money. I would have suggested Certified Pre-Owned to save several thousand dollars on the purchase price, but you can't really do much about that now.

But really, trying to get better FE in a pickup without major aerodynamic and/or drive train changes is pretty difficult. Buy a cheap little runabout to drive to work, and use the truck only when you have to. 1988-2000 Honda Civics are like go-karts to drive and non-Si models get good fuel economy. Parts are cheap as can be. Mine's for sale.

Block the grille as much as it'll put up with. Add a deep air dam up front and build an aerodynamic topper. Skirt over the wheel wells- you may be able to attach skirts in factory holes.

Make your truck look like this...

The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
baldyhunter (04-18-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Serious suggestion for improving your overall fuel consumption? Buy an older economy car for the daily commute (spending maybe $2-3K), save the pickup for when you haul, tow, or go hunting (presumably on rough dirt).
That's good advice for sure. My problem is that I have a truck and a motorcycle now....then there's my wife's car. 3 vehicles and I'd really hate to take up the driveway space, extra insurance, and maintenance for a 4th vehicle. I know the costs will be somewhat offset in fuel savings but consider 4 to 5 months out of the year I drive my motorcycle to work. I also need a truck frequently for wood gathering (we heat our house that way) and a few other duties...and you'll see why I'm reluctant to buy yet another vehicle. I'd just like to get as much FE as I can out of this one and I'll be happy.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Get a ScanGauge or UltraGauge. Either will plug into the truck's OBDII connector just like a code reader. The gauge will give instantaneous mpg, actually updated every 1-2 seconds. Also provides trip and tank mpg data, as well as useful information such as engine temperature, intake air temp, % load, etc.

That instant feedback is invaluable in refining your driving technique. I learned that my car - which averaged over 50 mpg last summer - gets only about 10 mpg when I stomp on it in 3rd gear. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to predict reduced mpg in third with foot down hard, but there's nothing quite like seeing the numbers in front of you, real time.

Good luck with it!

And you can use the same gauge in the fuel sipper car suggested above by jamesqf.

I can really use some education here. Right now my truck has a instant economy gauge on the DIC that gives me this info and it has helped me master the idea of the coast and has helped me watch my acceleration practices. It also has a average economy feature that is pretty accurate. I honestly wouldn't at all be opposed to a scanguage. Can someone please educate me on its advantages over what I already have?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Slowing down the 65 MPH portion of your commute to 55 MPH will only cost you 2 or 3 minutes at the most. My truck gets about 20% better MPG at 55 than 65 MPH.

Study up on DWL and DWB.
Great info there! I've been trying to pay attention to my instant economy gauge at different speeds but I need to get a better picture. Is this something the scanguage will help me do? There is an alternative route to work that averages about 50 mph but has a school zone (20 mph) in it. I'd be more than happy to pick one over the other if it helped FE.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Since you bought the truck new, selling it will probably lose you a lot of money. I would have suggested Certified Pre-Owned to save several thousand dollars on the purchase price, but you can't really do much about that now.

But really, trying to get better FE in a pickup without major aerodynamic and/or drive train changes is pretty difficult. Buy a cheap little runabout to drive to work, and use the truck only when you have to. 1988-2000 Honda Civics are like go-karts to drive and non-Si models get good fuel economy. Parts are cheap as can be. Mine's for sale.

Block the grille as much as it'll put up with. Add a deep air dam up front and build an aerodynamic topper. Skirt over the wheel wells- you may be able to attach skirts in factory holes.

Make your truck look like this...

Without going into details I work at GM and this was a leftover truck...I really got a killer deal on this and actually paid what used trucks of comparative equipment were selling for. Great pics and thanks for them.
Ken
Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyhunter View Post
I also need a truck frequently for wood gathering (we heat our house that way) and a few other duties...and you'll see why I'm reluctant to buy yet another vehicle.
You need a tacoma and a trailer for that.

Check out:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ler-25485.html

Reply  Post New Thread