Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Cool -- if I didn't have to crank the starter, that would be great.

My EOC is often from highway speeds, to an off-ramp, and to a stop or below TC speed (35 mph). There are some instances where I coast down hills in TC lock speed and can key on to start the engine.

Other considerations -- a fuel injector cut switch can be installed.

Let us know what the mechanic says!

-Rick

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
RH77 - Your integra may not have a lockup feature which keeps the torque converter in constant lock (engine spinning) You'll have to drop a gear or two and find out... rule of thumb, converter locks at 2k RPM, so at 35 mph, you may need to be in 2nd gear.

I'm not sure of the implications of putting the transmission in gear in an auto while it's off... I doubt it would damage anything, but it just might piss something off, and open that black hole, or create a rip in the space-time continuum.... you never know. Again, consult a dealer. Except, in your case, go to a Honda dealer. They tend to be more honest than Acura dealers. *Acura is an american car... Honda is a Jap car produced in America*

Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
24.27 lbs per gallon Co2

Unicorn - '12 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatch
90 day: 31.9 mpg (US)
I think I'll need to bring him cookies along with the thread printout, as a thank you for his time :-)

Quote:
Hehehe... If one of your facial lacerations leaves a small scar, you'll have a SCarlett.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #24 (permalink)

OO - Yes, that would be a nice gesture. Also, consider making friends with your dealer's service techs... they can help in ways you wouldn't believe when you need that $400 OEM part that can't be gotten anywhere but the dealer.

Example - Friend needed an ECU for his '94 NSX (Honda, not Acura) (Yes, there is a difference). Dealer part, end of story. Talk to dealer, $1600, and it's not even warrantied, shipped from Japan. (That's the difference.). Also, used.

Talk to another dealer that I buy parts from when they're cheaper or better quality, I can get the same ECU, again, used, from someone they know that just put an aftermarket tuning system in his car and didn't keep the OEM part... $300. (The cost of the tuning ECU he used.).

Lesson - Dealers will mark up anything they can get away with, especially when they know you can't get it anywhere else. Make friends w/the dealer, they'll cut you alot of breaks. That dealer I know could have (and by all rights, should have) charged us $1600 for that ECU. They didn't. Because I know them, and they know me.

Second Example - Back when there was still a huge craze going on with DSM products and the "crank walk" issue, a guy who always went to his local dealer for services bought a used Eclipse, outside of factory warranty, and it was suffering from the same issues. Dealer recommended long-block replacement, and he got a turbo engine in place of his standard 4G63, except the dealer didn't install the turbo. The whole job was covered under warranty, because they knew the guy. That would have made the car a total loss had it been work that was paid out of pocket. And he got to keep the Turbo, since it was the same one for his other car. (Also an Eclipse, always dealer serviced from day one, but GS-T model.)

See how you can benefit from this type of relationship? We all like to think that it'll never happen, but it could.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Yep, my American Make Acura was indeed manufactured in Japan (along with its Honda Integra counterparts). It has truly been a role model for durability and trouble-free, efficient operation.

I can't say the same of the new '03 Mitsu Evo-8 I once had. Sub-par build quality lead to transmission alignment issues and grinding on perfectly normal shifts. They sent a tech from Japan to diagnose and repair it. They fixed it, but it was never "right". Fun car, but problematic -- lots of warranty work and time in the shop. Complimentary rental base Sebrings were a terrible replacement during the repair time. I didn't buy that kind of "performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
OO - Yes, that would be a nice gesture. Also, consider making friends with your dealer's service techs... they can help in ways you wouldn't believe when you need that $400 OEM part that can't be gotten anywhere but the dealer.

Example - Friend needed an ECU for his '94 NSX (Honda, not Acura) (Yes, there is a difference). Dealer part, end of story. Talk to dealer, $1600, and it's not even warrantied, shipped from Japan. (That's the difference.). Also, used.

Talk to another dealer that I buy parts from when they're cheaper or better quality, I can get the same ECU, again, used, from someone they know that just put an aftermarket tuning system in his car and didn't keep the OEM part... $300. (The cost of the tuning ECU he used.).

Lesson - Dealers will mark up anything they can get away with, especially when they know you can't get it anywhere else. Make friends w/the dealer, they'll cut you alot of breaks. That dealer I know could have (and by all rights, should have) charged us $1600 for that ECU. They didn't. Because I know them, and they know me.
I once had a good rapport with the local Honda dealer when I ran Auto-X in a '99 Civic Si. They modified alignment outside of specs for superior handling and swapped summer tires for free. Best car (and dealer relationship) I had...

For Teggy, those days are long gone. I do most of the repairs myself, except for body work and perhaps the timing and aux belts/pullies/water pump. I may tackle that next time. Otherwise, a local shop may get my biz. A few dealers in the area are pretty crooked.

-Rick

_
_
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #26 (permalink)

If you were closer to me, I'd gladly steal your business from them. I'm cheap, because I do it for fun, and only look to get paid what I would want to pay someone else.

I don't pay myself for coffee breaks and the like, just work performed, and 15% markup if I have to get the parts, for my run time and trouble.

Oddly enough, I have trouble building a client base no matter where I go... people would rather get ripped off knowingly than pay someone to do it in their driveway.

I love working on these import cars though... it's so easy.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
random fact about my transmission: With the car off, not moving, I can put the transmission in any gear and it will do nothing. IE on a hill it just rolls away. Now that's a static drop. I've also turned the engine off while traveling at slow speeds, as the engine output shaft drives the trans coolant pump. High speeds off not recommended by manufacture and aficionados alike. I've yet to muster the will to turn the car off while in any gear traveling at any speed. I don't think it'd end well, and I have no capital to find out.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
random fact about my transmission: With the car off, not moving, I can put the transmission in any gear and it will do nothing.
As is the case with any other transmission in any car, anywhere in the world.

Quote:
IE on a hill it just rolls away. Now that's a static drop.
Very good, you've discovered gravity.

Quote:
I've also turned the engine off while traveling at slow speeds, as the engine output shaft drives the trans coolant pump.
If you read back through the thread, you'll realize that vehicle speed does not make a difference. Try going 25 mph and using 1st range in your transmission. If it doesn't work in a second or two, you still won't damage your car, it takes several minutes to overheat the transmission.

Quote:
High speeds off not recommended by manufacture and aficionados alike.
High speeds off for EXTENDED PERIODS i.e. more than a few seconds.
Quote:
I've yet to muster the will to turn the car off while in any gear traveling at any speed. I don't think it'd end well, and I have no capital to find out.
Go test drive a car from a dealer. If it breaks during a test drive, it's not your problem. Or, you could just stop thinking that your car doesn't handle worse abuses every time you drive it, and shut the engine off while you're in 3rd range at 2500+ RPM.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
I like your thinking Christ.....hate the handle choice though (not the representation, just the choice). Yesterday I almost did shut the car off in 1st just to try it, but I was too late in my thinking for my stopping destination, and then forgot after I got out. I had mountain bikes on my mind!

and now we have snow, so I'll have to delay the test till dry roads. slick as dog poo on linoleum.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

check the thread "what's in a username". You might feel differently once you've read my post there.

Hint: I'm not religious...

Reply  Post New Thread