Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Motor Trend's Fake Apple Car Is Extraordinarily Dumb And Dishonest

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
I believe they got a picture of it here:

Looks legit to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iCar.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	19911  
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Apple's problem is nothing will give a quick return on the amount of cash they are sitting on.
They couldn't possibly pay dividends to their shareholders, could they?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Let me imagine this the same way apple "improved" mobile phone technology...

-It'll come out 5-10 years after the competition. Add that to the Google release time line.
-It'll only do 1/3rd of the expected tasks. Don't expect it to make turns.
-It'll be the opposite way of operating for anyone who has worked with the technology before. Climb in the roof, you start it from the backseat, and there's no physical controls.
-Every common component will be proprietary. ONLY wireless charging, and ONLY with a special pad with lower efficiency than the competition: but it comes in white!
-It'll cost at least 50% more than the competition.
-It'll have 50% of the range.
-What you've always done for the past decade now has a special "app" (application) that organizes things the "right" (only) way, and keeps you safe by making sure nothing dangerous gets on there (is this an approved podcast?).
-In six months, there will be a new version with a slight body change and one added feature the competition had three years ago. Oh, and your current model just lost 30% of its value.

I can't wait to hear people talk about how amazing their new APPLE car is, because there is this screen, with a button, and when you push it...music plays! (It's only an extra $9.99 a month)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
spacemanspif (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Did that second post make you wait 30 seconds? That's a sign it posted already.

I sense a lot of hatred.

While I agree that Apple lost it's soul when Wozniak left, I think you are laying it on a little heavy. Apple has made it's way by offering people things they didn't know they wanted until they saw it.

Who has the better vertical silo? Android? Who stands between their users and the FBI?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Oh, and your current model just lost 30% of its value.
That's why I am typing this on an Apple brand computer. I thought about selling it, but gasped at the resale value. I have too much pride to sell it at that much of a loss, so ...I gripe instead.

These two memes belong here :

The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
UltArc (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

No, didn't even realize- deleted that second post.

Lol, it is frustration, not so much hate. My experience running Windows Mobile was a PC like system handheld that worked flawlessly for me, and was more capable of any of the major platforms even out now. In 2008 I was able to make WiFi from my phone at any time, anywhere, without any fees.

----This got a lot longer than I wanted, feel free to skip to the bold/italicized.

My issue is, apple is "stylish." I can not fathom how this device was even in the realm of a PPC when it came out. I remember people I knew coming up to me and showing it to me, and talking about how expensive it is, and what it could do. What was embarrassing to me, was an honorable, technological wonder. But, now other companies are trying to copy it. THIS is my issue. Apple never had long presses, just one touch for the most part. Well, Google has started doing away with it. It was very easy to hold down and the options come up, I could choose what I wanted. Well, Google has been working to remove this ease of use, and apple is bringing it to their OS...the same issue with the coloring book. Even more irritating with these hieroglyphics for junk instead of the words- last night I figured out the stupid cloud with an arrow in it meant upload...I couldn't find the fricken UPLOAD link. Ridiculous.

Apple loves these bright absurd screens. Everything is so bright, I'm not trying to land an airplane, I'm trying to save battery and use my device. Google is limiting options on customization, and turning everything into rainbows and bright colors. Every time I get an accidental or mandatory update, I see features and options being eliminated.

Honestly, I am leaning towards iOS right now. Why? Because jailbreaking the original is better than trying to work around the imitation. The only thing stopping me is the subpar materials. For example, this weekend, in the middle of nowhere, my Sprint iPhone 6+ had ZERO service. My Moto X2, also on Sprint (Republic Wireless), had decent service (not referring to WiFi, over cellular). I could pull up directions, slow internet, it worked. The iPhone gave me some BS "cannot connect to servers" message over and over. Same with iPads, and their subpar WiFi reception/range, and same from when I had a Macbook. It's amazing how a 4 year old PC, that was considerably less, and more capable, outshines a brand new Macbook. Of their phones, tablets, and computers, they are more popular, yet underperform and cost more...why?

I will admit their high points- they make their software and hardware, which makes a usually better experience from the mainstream competition. Like my Verizon X2 vs my RW X2- the VZW had some 10 or 15 applications loaded onto it, different screens for loading, and software restrictions disabling further customization. It's worse on the prepaid phones. On a "pure" Android, I would usually take that- but iOS lets me hit the home button 3 times and the screen is inverted. So it's all black, all the time. The simple and clear connection between OS and hardware works well. They have an excellent finish on their devices, and make a sleek build- but using past devices, they aren't nearly as sturdy as their competitors. I don't mean "I dropped it off a second floor balcony, and now the screen is shattered, stoopid apple!" I mean my iPhone 5Ss wire connecting the speaker to the something has loosened, and needs to be replaced- their is an impassable error screen stopping use. Short of serious destruction to a phone, I've never encountered issues like this with a phone.

I guess my point is- they go cheap in important places, but their "style" lets them not only get away with it, but pressure competitors to water down their products.

PS- Funny story, I bought a Macbook Pro Retina (I think...) and they were helping me set it up in the store. Well, I didn't want a password. I just wanted to open and go like my main computer, and my Chromebook. It mandated I have one...well, I made the password nothing. I had to re enter it, and it wouldn't accept it, and couldn't be unlocked. The apple people couldn't fix it, and had to return it and give me another one- then the guy stood there and made sure I didn't break another one before leaving the store lol. My mindset, and apples "no, this is the only acceptable way to do things" clashed within the first 60 seconds, and I may have set the record for bricking a Macbook. They were so arrogant to believe NO ONE would ever NOT do that, they didn't have a safe guard...really? It was decent for my image use, but I sold it and bought a custom Toshiba. Should have just done that in the first place.

Best Tanks:
Old 04-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Possibly having a laptop without a password is overall a Very Bad Idea?

I started with a photocopied binder of the Human Interface Guidelines in 1984. Things started downhill with the OS asking -are you sure- on ShutDown, just to appease switchers from Windows where you were never sure what was about to happen.

Mac OSX, soon to be MacOS, is a good combination of an free BSD foundation with a user interface built on top. I think it's now being polluted by IOS with it's reverse-scrolling touch interface and 'apps stores'. The scroll bars are half the width and as likely to move the whole window as scroll it.

But, I was there for the birth of the Personal PC, and the era of $25 G4 PowerMacs and $75 Mac Minis. Used Minis, which are my favorite because they have no microphone and no webcam, are all but unobtainable locally.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Since we are going all O.T. here, I'll just post this one as well. I bought a Toshiba M200 tablet PC years before the eye pad came out.
I ran Photoshop, and even my 3D software on it.
I could paint right on the screen using a stylus. It was great !
Then along came the eye pad.
The eye pad is basically an oversize cell phone. Even now, you can't run something like ZBrush on an iPad without a workaround.
The main one being having your eye pad mirror the image from your desktop computer.
So you have TWO machines going at the same time. How's that for wasteful, and inefficient !
It's a if Apple doesn't join the rest of the world, because they ....because they can.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I'm really not anti apple, I just wish they were treated more accordingly. There are positives, and to an extent, I find their stuff useful- but after those walls of text, I think I'm done haha

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread