Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Experienced UAW Mechanic

In stop-and-go driving, tall gearing is not the right answer. In fact, deeper gearing is more likely to help.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

what do you mean by deeper?
Old 09-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
On my Talon I have total control over my transmissions shift points and line pressure. My stall converter is a custom built tight converter for good mpg but will stall to 3500rpm for racing. I have done some testing and as long as I don't go under 1800rpm at light load up shifts the fuel mileage won't suffer. The transmission temps stay cool at this light load, but as soon as I start having to go to medium load the fuel mileage suffers and the temps start climbing at a fast rate. Also line pressure stays low at light load so this also improves FE. Now in heavy traffic where people are in a hurry and riding my ass I will shift it at 2500 rpm mid load to keep up with traffic flow. The same applies to a hilly terrain. At this point it keeps the torque converter in its efficiency range and keeps transmission temps down.

Is there any fuel mileage app you can get to do the proper testing for instant FE readings?

Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Experienced UAW Mechanic

In the world of car enthusiasts, a rear axle ratio of 2.14:1, as an example, is a high, tall, top speed, Bonneville, MPG, economy gear good for letting a turbo pull against it, for cruising the interstate at 90 MPH. On the other hand, a gear more like 3.73:1 is short, deep, low, acceleration gearing, or for off road 4x4 guys, a newbie gear. For those guys, a 5.38 gear is deep.
Some later model cars come calibrated for good mpg when cruising at full throttle at idle in 17th gear, but generally that doesn't work outside a laboratory. Working the engine hard to pull an economy gear from repeated dead stops is no way to save fuel. Get a vacuum gauge, drive for the highest reading at all times.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

@pgfpro unfortunately my car only comes with nissan consult 1 and no obd2 connector. so my ultragauge wont work sadly. mpguino is the only hope lol

@cosmick thanks for the insite hmm one thing I will change is the owner placed a really large tire (235/55/r18) and acceleration really suffers will revert it to stock and a thinner one hopefuly this helps with FE

Reply  Post New Thread