Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I also looked for TDIs in your area and the pickings are SLIM.

Almost everything over 200k. Id recommend a TDI as well if you could find one with reasonable miles they WILL run forever. Only problem is that people DO run them forever and they have insane miles. Also with gas prices right now compared to diesel its only mehhh. If gas was 3.00 it would be a no brainer.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
I also looked for TDIs in your area and the pickings are SLIM.

Almost everything over 200k. Id recommend a TDI as well if you could find one with reasonable miles they WILL run forever. Only problem is that people DO run them forever and they have insane miles. Also with gas prices right now compared to diesel its only mehhh. If gas was 3.00 it would be a no brainer.

I don't expect gas prices to stay at $2. This is lucky and they will be at 3 sooner than you know it.

I was scared of the VW TDI bc/ i read something about the sludge in the engine and needing some foreign imported oil. A lot of the VW mechanics weren't even using the correct oil apparently.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another thread in here made me think of you.
A guy buying a salvage titled prius from a russian guy lol.
He also explains why hybrids are totaled more often. Because their value as a salvage vehicle is much more of a mystery for INS companies they just don't deal with it and figure if people see them with minor damage they will pay a decent amount at auction and they can recoup it there instead of fixing 5k in damage realizing it needs a electric motor and battery fixing that for 8k then having the battery fail in 2 and a half years since they guarantee the work for a period of years (or forever in some-cases) they dont want to "warranty" the car.

The car was declared a total loss in Oregon, Sept.10 2014. Lots of Russians here buy salvage cars from the salvage auctions and put them back together as well, there is good money in it if you do it right. I've done it myself a few times, but always found it was way more work than just buying a non-write off for a good price and doing a decent job making it a nice car to resell. But none of that matters now as you own it! A hybrid car will get written off by an insurance company easier than a regular car, as they are concerned with liability if they repair it etc, and hybrids are still a mystery to most people so I find they tend to err on the side of caution and write them off where as the same damage on a regular car would have been fixed. Good luck!

As for the cash - when I sold my '55 Chev years ago the guy that bought it was, er, "alternatively employed", and paid $10k in rolled up $5s, $10s, and $20s! I literally ran out of pockets to put all the money into. To this day I don't think I've ever had a bigger smile on my face than I did driving home from that ha ha
The Following User Says Thank You to synergy For This Useful Post:
brett701 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
I don't expect gas prices to stay at $2. This is lucky and they will be at 3 sooner than you know it.

I was scared of the VW TDI bc/ i read something about the sludge in the engine and needing some foreign imported oil. A lot of the VW mechanics weren't even using the correct oil apparently.
lol.... TDIs are very popular where i grew up (NH) and nobody I knew had any issues. And as far as sludge I think it depends on how you treat it. But at the end of the day Id say the TDI engine in older jettas and golfs are some of the most reliable engines on the road. And the old N/As are THE most reliable with many going over 400k.

Id pick a diesel over a gas engine any day for reliability. I wouldnt however pick a newer diesel because of stupid emissions equipment.

And gas prices wont stay where they are. The US production will start to slow then decline and prices will go up again.
The Following User Says Thank You to synergy For This Useful Post:
brett701 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
lol.... TDIs are very popular where i grew up (NH) and nobody I knew had any issues. And as far as sludge I think it depends on how you treat it. But at the end of the day Id say the TDI engine in older jettas and golfs are some of the most reliable engines on the road. And the old N/As are THE most reliable with many going over 400k.

Id pick a diesel over a gas engine any day for reliability. I wouldnt however pick a newer diesel because of stupid emissions equipment.

And gas prices wont stay where they are. The US production will start to slow then decline and prices will go up again.
Do you think a kill switch will significantly affect MPG on the insight & the pontiac vibe?
Old 01-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Any good?

2006 Toyota Prius
Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I like that prius. Its similar to the insight. You get better gas mileage in the pruis I say check it out. I just didnt suggest a prius due to your looks criteria and the fact that their resale value holds relatively well compared to the insight which was sold for much less new.

And a Kill switch would be more work than worth. Youd get better gains in other areas. Roof rack delete on the Vibe would help alot. Along with just pumping up the tires and driving for mileage. Your right foot has the most to do with your mpgs at the end of the day.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I like that prius. Its similar to the insight. You get better gas mileage in the pruis I say check it out. I just didnt suggest a prius due to your looks criteria and the fact that their resale value holds relatively well compared to the insight which was sold for much less new.

And a Kill switch would be more work than worth. Youd get better gains in other areas. Roof rack delete on the Vibe would help alot. Along with just pumping up the tires and driving for mileage. Your right foot has the most to do with your mpgs at the end of the day.
CAR 1
2005 Pontiac Vibe aka Toyota Matrix - Sunroof - Automatic
This car is in my sisters neighborhood. Is this a good price? What if I could buy it for $2800?

CAR 2
This car has 177,000 miles on it and is 2007. She said she took the car in on trade.. She knows that the new parts that she put on it are newer tires. 800 dollar cat converter, a new starter, a new battery, & new wipers.
2007 Pontiac vibe

She said she took the car in on trade, she has a new cat converter
Old 01-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett701 View Post
CAR 1
This car is in my sisters neighborhood. Is this a good price? What if I could buy it for $2800?

CAR 2
This car has 177,000 miles on it and is 2007. She said she took the car in on trade.. She knows that the new parts that she put on it are newer tires. 800 dollar cat converter, a new starter, a new battery, & new wipers.
2007 Pontiac vibe

She said she took the car in on trade, she has a new cat converter

I hope I don't have to put a cat converter & starter on the red Vibe if i purchase it.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Summary

Quote:

HERE IS THE SUMMARY.
I Tried to clean it up for you.

I've contacted everyone.

CAR A
Honda Insight Hybrid EX Civic 2010
I'd like to get the price down on this to $7500
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10240334...45103451714828
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10240334...45103451714828

CAR B $4995 from Breckenridge Motors
2004 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Wagon
Top choice at the moment. Hopefully can get for $4,200.
The main concerns:
What is the tire condition, newer breaks on the car?, when was the cat converter changed? Will I need a timing belt change & has it been changed?
(314) 690-2962

CAR C $3199
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Has new tires & new cat converter.
618-650-9040 must call her.

CAR D $3350
2005 Pontiac Vibe
Tires look warn.
660-827-4339 or 660-826-1434

CAR E $4000
2007 Pontiac vibe
This is a curious price. She took this car in on a trade and did repairs to it. She is looking to trade again.
She put new tires, new front brakes,new cat converter, new wipers.
It needs windshield.(That's reason it is $4000)

CAR F $4500
REDUCED ! 2009 Pontiac Vibes
2009. Seems like too good of a price.

The car has been regularly serviced, oil changes,air filter,tires rotated, rear brakes new rotors 7000 miles ago, new battery 3 months ago, alternator last year, transmission flushed 4000 miles ago. I have taken good care of the car. The only thing that doesn't work is the horn ( it started sounding funny then quit, so I'm sure it just needs a new horn) but There are no other issues or pending problems with the car. It is tight and drives down the road very good. It has the same motor and body as the Toyota Matrix so parts are readily available for the entire car. If you have any other question give me a call (217) 821-7308 (Effingham,IL)

CAR G $3400
some hail damage & paint fade
Brand new brakes
Don't know about the cat
Tires are only 5 months old
Don't know about timing belt
5 minutes from my house.

Reply  Post New Thread