Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Honda could've made an effort to differentiate it further from the Civic.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
i get Mazda vibes from this

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I liked the looks of my G1 Insight a lot better.

This looks just like everything else on the road. If you slapped a Mitsubishi or Hyundai emblem on it I wouldn't know the difference
Agreed. However, Honda trying to be different has been pretty polarizing...

That's one busy rear end.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I was just at the Honda dealer ... and eyed one up in the showroom.
Has the burning feeling in your retinas subsided?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-22-2017, 03:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
It's basically trying to be a Ford Fusion Hybrid but more aerodynamic. I'm not sure what to think.

But I do want to mention, the G1 sacrifices EVERYTHING for MPG right? I've been like switching between my G1 and G2 like every other day recently... the G2 does like drive way better... like it handles like a modern car. I must admit that as fun as a G1 is to drive, it just isn't comfortable... it's loud and with 60PSI in my RE92s it's pretty rough. The average consumer doesn't want that. I bet this new G3 Insight is going to be SMOOTH in comparison even with the G2. Stuff like that matters to the average buyer. Gotta keep in mind the G2 did not sell well.

But, (switching topics slightly) IMO, they could probably do a G2-style IMA addon for all of their cars and get everything partially electrified. The G2 has a very simple IMA system, but it works and it doesn't go bad like their older hybrid models.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
I bet this new G3 Insight is going to be SMOOTH in comparison even with the G2. Stuff like that matters to the average buyer. Gotta keep in mind the G2 did not sell well.
Of course the average Joe won't be so willing to sacrifice comfort for the sake of MPG, but it still seems quite pointless to turn the Insight into an oversized pig.

Quote:
IMO, they could probably do a G2-style IMA addon for all of their cars and get everything partially electrified.
Considering that it's relatively easy to implement, and the possibility of replacing both the alternator and the starter with a single device, that wouldn't be a bad option at all.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
I definitely don't like oversized pigs, but I also definitely don't have enough money to buy a new car ever, so HMC doesn't care about me or probably anyone else on this forum.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820

If Honda would import that, I would buy it in a second.

This unwanted sedan? Not even once it's cheap on the used market. I don't want a sedan, I don't want a big car. I miss Honda selling small, fun cars. The Fit is ok fun, but they've never even offered a real sport model (just an appearance package, basically). Where's their answer to the Fiesta ST? Or the Fiat 500 Abarth? They've got nothing. The Civic? It's bigger and heavier than the Accord used to be.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The rear end really bugs me but I'm still overall excited.

For one, I don't understand why they would go with a sedan, given its namesake's hatch heritage and the apparent direction of the American car market away from sedans (or has that changed?). I've been hoping for a long time that they would just plop the 2-Motor Hybrid Atkinson powertrain into the current civic hatchback, which seems like it would be an instant sell over the Prius/Volt/Ioniq with its superior drivetrain. (The 2-motor hybrid drivetrain is better than the Ioniq's DCT and better than Toyota/Volt/Ford's """eCVT"""s which suffer from circulating power losses in their glorified differentials.) Even if they're intent on this form factor, that kammback style roof is prime for a liftback like the old Acura RSX. I really wonder why they apparently chose not to go for that kind of liftback and its extra practicality. Would that then just invite criticism that it's an inferior hatchback, and is that still preferable to being a freaking sedan?

Also, ROUNDED REAR BUMPERS AND LIGHTS. WHY. The fake vents on the bumpers of the current Civics are there to give an aesthetic excuse to put hard edges on the bumpers for better flow detachment. I actually like them on the current Civic hatch (not type R) since they do have that purpose. Coincidentally, the hatchback gets 1mpg better highway than the coupe with the same drivetrain, even with its less steeply raked rear glass and shorter butt, and I bet a portion of it has to do with the much more rounded rear of the coupe. Fake vents might not fit in with the hybrid (sport hybrid?), but surely they could have found some other way to do those efficient hard edges. The Clarity kinda has them.

The spoiler is also underwhelming like the Accord/clarity and civic sedan. The connected taillights/spoiler of the civic coupe and hatch is a much better look imo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23219  
Old 12-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auptimist View Post
I really wonder why they apparently chose not to go for that kind of liftback and its extra practicality.
Me too.

Quote:
Would that then just invite criticism that it's an inferior hatchback, and is that still preferable to being a freaking sedan?
Maybe they think a sedan looks more "sophisticated", which is still why small sedans remain popular in 3rd-world countries like mine, even though in more upscale segments there is a move toward SUVs. It's quite weird that people would see a liftback/notchback/whatever-you-call-it as somewhat "inferior" to a sedan with an identical size. Sedans are not just less practical, but also cheaper to manufacture, so it seems like the sheeple enjoys being made a fool.

Reply  Post New Thread