Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Honda Civic EJ2 Build Thread

Hello everyone.

I finally have a driver's license and my first car - a Honda Civic EJ2. Various Civics and other Hondas have been my favorite cars since I was a kid so this is a dream come true.

I'd like to learn to drive safely and efficiently while gaining confidence and enjoying myself. I'd also like my car to be nearly stock but definitely not entirely. My budget is low so hypermiling and ecomodding might just be for me though I admit my interests are also in the usual kind of performance. I hope there are ways to combine these two motoring worlds.

I bought the car from a friend who said he got 29.4mpg with it. It is lowered a bit but I don't know what's the suspension, it needs right parking light replaced, the SRS light is on, it's got some rust, and I don't know when was the last time the fluids and filters were changed. Pics coming soon.

And I got blisters from the key trying to learn how to start it!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Congrats on the new vehicle.

First things first is to make sure your car is in good working order, especially since its 20 years old. I know my 17 year old Metro has a bunch of querks and issues that I'm hoping to deal with. While you're at it, make sure you air up those tires. If the car is OBDII, you should get yourself a scangauge or similar too. That will help you train your ecodriving a lot.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sure. First thing is to make sure everything is working. Only then the mods will follow. I'll fill up those tires as soon as possible. What pressure should I go for though? A Scangauge or similar might be too expensive for me right now. Also I don't know if I like how additional gauges look in the car.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
The tire pressure is really up to you. A lot of people just run what the tire says the max pressure rating is listed on the tire. Some run more, some run less.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I run max sidewall (as listed on the tires themselves).

The largest improvement in economy will not come from modifying the car, but from modifying your driving. You'll definitely want some instrumentation, to give you feedback on how you're doing, so I'd suggest getting a scangauge or ultragauge - it'll pay for itself before long.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, I've got the parking light replaced. Didn't have much time to do anything else.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Great choice on the EJ2! Older Civics are a hoot to drive.

Not sure if you'll be able to add OBD instrumentation, as it may be a bit too early model year for that. An old school vacuum gauge, perhaps? They're inexpensive.

Most bang for the performance buck -> add a short throw shifter and replace the shifter bushings with poly bushings from energy suspension. This turns a sloppy old shifter into a thing of beauty. snick-snick-snick shifts!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The 1995 Civic is OBD1. It is the last year before the 6th gen and introduction of OBD2. No scanguage or ultragauge for you. Fet a vacuum gauge and an MPGuino.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGomatic View Post
Great choice on the EJ2!
Most bang for the performance buck -> add a short throw shifter and replace the shifter bushings with poly bushings from energy suspension. This turns a sloppy old shifter into a thing of beauty. snick-snick-snick shifts!
Yes. Got mine for the Tacoma from Crawler. Shifting now is short and firm.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My friend, the previous owner of the car, has taken out the centering rings out of the front wheels so today I put a pair back in. While the wheels were off I saw that the springs were blue. That's the most I can tell about my lowering suspension for now.

As I was about to drive the car from the friends home to mine I tried to roll down the driver's side electrical window. I forgot you're not supposed to do that because the mechanism is broken. Thankfully my brother helped me put the sunken window back in place. That's one more thing on the fix-list. I'm supposed to drive with the windows closed for aerodynamics anyway right? : ))

Tonight I'm going for a drive to get used to the car. I'm a new driver and this is a new-to-me car. I really do need some practice. Wish me luck.

As for the choice of EJ2. I had two Civic models on my mind. The first is what I call the College Civic. There are these Civics around that have College badges on them. They're 1.3 liter hatches, with windy windows, no sunroof, no tachometer. I believe they're EG3. Then there are the coupes. I think they are, like mine, LSi ones. unlike the College Civics these have all the luxuries - electric windows, sunroof, tachometer. What I liked was that there seemed to be only two variations of the coupe around while there are many more of the hatch. It makes it easier to find the exact car you're looking for and I suppose it would make it easier to find a complete donor for such a car. Circumstances also play a role. The fact that my friend had this coupe made it easier for me to purchase it. And if something goes wrong I can ask him about it. Also the car is black which I liked. And I seem to dig the back end of the coupe more than the hatch now. Unfortunately it weighs more. I didn't even think about a VEi (VX in USA) because they're very hard to find around here.

Short throw shifter sounds nice. Maybe when the funds allow.

No pics yet. Sorry.

Reply  Post New Thread