Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Yeah, I'm more interested in specs too, but we won't get those until the dang thing is released. Honda doesn't like to let our their info ahead of time. I'm also loving the lower price. Does anyone know about what type of IMA system it'll get? Can it be run in parallel yet?

The general shape of the vehicle is the same as the Prius because they are both efficient shapes. Great interior room, utility, and aerodynamics. I wouldn't want a regular sedan, its inferior and less efficient. Other than that, the front end is MUCH different than the Prius.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
I don't think we should get too excited, technology wise, about this new Honda. Honda is married to the IMA concept of hybrid, so don't expect anything with an "electric only" mode. I just came across this article:

Green Car Congress: Honda Provides Additional Details on New Small Hybrid Vehicle

Quote:
In addition to weight reduction, Honda is targeting a significant cost reduction in Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) components that will result in what it characterizes as the most affordable hybrid vehicle to date. This dedicated hybrid vehicle will be offered as a 5-door hatchback with seating for five passengers and will employ an exterior design concept that evokes the FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle. Along with the Civic Hybrid, the new vehicle will be produced at an expanded IMA production line at Honda’s Suzuka factory in Japan.

Taking advantage of reductions in the size of components, the battery and the internal processing unit will be positioned below the rear cargo area, allowing the hatchback design to provide adequate cargo space to meet the needs of a family. Additionally, various technologies, including a function to assist more fuel efficient driving, are being installed to achieve a further improvement of practical fuel efficiency.
Expect to see the Civic hybrid powertrain wrapped in a new body style to put the squeeze on the Prius. The Insight will have a few advantages over the Prius, but not in the fuel economy area:

1. It's new.

2. The MSRP is $3,500 less than a Prius. Although I'm sure some Honda dealers will add a surcharge.

3. The first 60,000 Insights will be eligible for the federal Hybrid Vehicle Tax Credit, which expired on the Prius long ago.

Sadly, I don't expect a manual tranny to be availble since it disappeared on the Civic hybrid after 2005.

Last edited by SuperTrooper; 09-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
This is interresting, though. I am looking forward to seeing the competition between Honda and Toyota. I figue we will be the ones that benefit.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What an effing travesty :-( Not the car itself - I suppose it's a good design for those who want a stodgy 4/5 passenger sedan that happens to be a hybrid - but calling it an Insight?

As for the similarity of the shape to the Prius, an even better example than airplanes would be birds. Ignore the colored feathers, and a robin looks like a blackbird looks like a sparrow looks like whatever other generalist bird you can think of, because physics means there's one best shape for that kind of bird to be.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
What an effing travesty :-( Not the car itself - I suppose it's a good design for those who want a stodgy 4/5 passenger sedan that happens to be a hybrid - but calling it an Insight?

As for the similarity of the shape to the Prius, an even better example than airplanes would be birds. Ignore the colored feathers, and a robin looks like a blackbird looks like a sparrow looks like whatever other generalist bird you can think of, because physics means there's one best shape for that kind of bird to be.
Yup, all birds look alike.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
i want honda to come back with the original insight, but improved. I don't need a lot of passenger room, and all the used ones are like $15,000 which is ridiculous. If they made alot of them i bet they could get pretty competitive in price $16,000 if new insight will be only $18,000.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
It looks fine to me?!? Not the original insight though, but neither was the reuse of the "nova" name.

IIRC, honda wanted a hybrid that was visually recognizable as a hybrid. And that form has good aero and utility to boot.

The original insight was definitely a cool looking car, and an outstanding performer, but it is the car that was cool, not the name necessarily.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
Yup, all birds look alike.
Now is that what I said? No, I said that all GENERALIST birds have pretty much the same shape. Maybe that's not the right ecological term - I mean birds that fill the ecological niche of living around forest edges, and eating seeds, insects, and such. They look alike because their shape is the most efficient for doing their particular "job".

Indeed, we can use your examples as further evidence. Take for instance your emu, a bird whose niche it is to run around open grasslands. Looks an awful lot like an ostrich or a rhea, doesn't it? Just as your pelican shares similar features with a flamingo or stork.

Or consider another example of form-follows-function.

This: Google Image Result for http://ukmoths.org.uk/images/HummingbirdHawkMothSF.jpg

and this: Google Image Result for http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/Yr2006/june12/hummingbird.jpg

Which is the Prius, and which the Honda copy?
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
A photo of the production version of the Insius... I mean Priut... I mean Insight! ... is up.

Compare to the concept, from the Honda mini-site for the car (Hybrid – Honda Worldwide Hybrid Technology Site)

Aside from the cosmetic differences and the wheels, note the difference in the bodywork in the rocker panels. Ride height looks higher as well, looking at the center of each car's wheels.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
The production version has the exact wheels (and apparently the same rocker bodywork) as the car we saw in the spy shots:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hots-3875.html

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread