EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Hood Insulator (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hood-insulator-24110.html)

YeahPete 11-26-2012 10:14 AM

Hood Insulator

So I noticed I had no under hood insulation. I have a bunch of holes where it seems unsulation would go, but no insulation there.

Anyone know what materials I would put under my hood to help insulate it from the cold. Where would I get such materials?

Gealii 11-26-2012 10:48 AM

well you could try a junkyard and find the factory insulation or you could just try this http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post339884

YeahPete 11-26-2012 03:10 PM

I might try to find a decent junk yard. Not many near where I live. It will be a drive.

As far as that super fast warm up. I read that thread. I did not give me any solid ideas. Just want to insulate my hood for not to protect my paint as my car turns 10 yrs old.

Mainly looking for a nice insulating material maybe to buy from home depot or menards, maybe even order it. I saw some people had insulation that looked like foil, not sure what that amterial was. Looked easy to keep clean as well.

groundflyer 11-26-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeahPete (Post 341894)
So I noticed I had no under hood insulation. I have a bunch of holes where it seems unsulation would go, but no insulation there.

Anyone know what materials I would put under my hood to help insulate it from the cold. Where would I get such materials?

I got some from this guy not over priced and was shiped the day I paid
EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more

PaleMelanesian 11-26-2012 03:39 PM

Whatever you use, make sure it can handle the heat! I once tried using a tar-backed aluminum roofing product and it melted right off the hood.

ajjct 11-26-2012 03:54 PM

try summitracing.com insulator mat its 4"x6" part #tru-blip11406 price 24.95 it will protect against heat up to 400 deg. . its what i used and my car is 24yrs old

NoD~ 11-27-2012 01:56 PM

I ended up cutting some cardboard out, then putting a layer of double-bubble foil insulation under that, then a layer of duct tape where any electrical components would touch. It doesn't warm up much faster, but it does keep the engine warmer longer while parked on cold days.

ctgottapee 12-07-2012 04:01 AM

There really isn't much one can do to insulate the hood for engine heat retention.

The foil products R value is relative to the heat passing through and off the side with the foil facing an open space. The foil doesn't 'reflect' heat, it prevents emissivity (coming off). Heat from the engine is going the other way. In fact you are basically insulating against heat gain from the sun hitting the hood and radiating into the engine bay.
The R value of the heat going upward against the foil bubble stuff would be less the R 1.
And then when the vehicle is moving, the air flow is going to push that heat.
As well as the hood being metal and contacting other points of the car (conduction).

Apart from sound deadening, it is really futile.

A foil topped hood (outside) that is kept clean would turn the hood into an insulator as long as you reduced the contact points of the metal hood with the car or used a different hood material.

WesternStarSCR 12-07-2012 06:18 AM

I just saw a How It's Made episode on Roxul brand of insulation, made from 'rock wool'. It can handle high heat and is water proof as well. Anyone try that, as it seems if it strategically secured under the hood, it has great heat retaining and sound deadening properties. I have no clue on cost or availability but they melt slag, coke and salt rock to melt it and spin it into fibers.

Frank Lee 12-07-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctgottapee (Post 344006)
There really isn't much one can do to insulate the hood for engine heat retention.

The foil products R value is relative to the heat passing through and off the side with the foil facing an open space. The foil doesn't 'reflect' heat, it prevents emissivity (coming off). Heat from the engine is going the other way. In fact you are basically insulating against heat gain from the sun hitting the hood and radiating into the engine bay.
The R value of the heat going upward against the foil bubble stuff would be less the R 1.
And then when the vehicle is moving, the air flow is going to push that heat.
As well as the hood being metal and contacting other points of the car (conduction).

Apart from sound deadening, it is really futile.

A foil topped hood (outside) that is kept clean would turn the hood into an insulator as long as you reduced the contact points of the metal hood with the car or used a different hood material.

I disagree. Clearly the space is insulatable. And I want it to not get much hotter when it's moving, the desired function being to retain heat longer when parked.