Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Hot&cold water washing machines

While reading bennelson's washing machine thread I remembered my battle for a washing machine with intakes for both cold and hot water. I've seen machines with two intakes in the US, one blue the other red. But in Poland all have only cold water intakes. This makes the washing machine simpler, so why would someone want a more complicated set-up?
Well, my washing machine intakes cold water, which usually isn't much warmer that the ground (2-5 deg C) and uses electricity to warm it to the required temperature (usually 40 deg C). That's a lot of electricity coming from the dirty coal-fired plant a few kilometers away. Now what if I had a cheap and ecofriendly source of warm water, like solar panels, heat pump, etc.? Then I need a washing machine which can handle two intakes. Knowing that such exist I e-mailed the largest companies that sell washing machines in Poland and asked about dual intakes. All of the answers were
Quote:
Our company does not produce dual intake washing machines for the Polish market.
The funny thing is that most of these companies are not small Polish factories, but large international corporations, present on many markets including the US and UK.
Only one company (can't remember which) actually replied in more than one sentence. They said (in slightly different wording) that dual water intake machines are very complicated and are in use only in backward, third-world countries like Eastern Russia and Middle Asia.
So my questions to y'all are:
(1) Do you have a cold/hot water washing machine?
(2) Can such be bought in your area?
(3) Would you call your area "backward, third-world" (unless you're in Eastern Russia or Middle Asia)?

--Adam

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
You could always feed it the warm water anyway, and hack into the machine to disable the built-in heater. Maybe put it on a switch so you can still use it if needed.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I've read that people have some kind of valve system and stand over the washer, letting in warm or cold water, depending on whether it's washing or rinsing. I could just let in the warm, but I'd be wasting warm water for rinsing. What I'm complaining about is attitude, ehhh.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread