Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to pumafeet10
How to Accelerate?

This is something that i have posted about a few times and find my self very conflicted. I have seen the advice from Wayne to accel slowly and then once up to speed and your are ready to Fas the to pulse at higher lod to get back to your target speed. The higher lod during pulsing i don't have a problem with.

I have a 2000 Honda civic hatchback that is almost gutted on the interior i have a carbon kevlar hood so my weight is def below average civics, and its 5spd, my tires are at 70psi and lastly the car has a full lower grille block which is on the inside of the grille which im not sure is causing problems or not? Right now according to my scangauge I am doing 60.3 MPG for the tank which is awesome, but for some reason i feel like I can do better.

So how should we accelerate, what rpm,lod and Tps ? For me i try to do about 65-76 lod but that is only like 25-30 at most on Tps , thats when I pulse after fas'ing.
What about when we are coming from a stop or just getting up to your speed where you want to start fas'ing?

Not sure if I am leaving something about but I drive slowly up to speed and its working but have seen some people with different results contray to what i am doing???

so whats the concensus??? Let the Great Debate Begin

David

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Here's my take with the old set up on the crx: crxMPG - Gas mileage never looked so good » Acceleration and Fuel Economy Tested

I guess my results disagree with wayne's...but according to a lot of people he's god so we should ignore everything else!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
That is a very interesting read SVOboy. I figured slow and steady was the way to go, but Jack rabbit while EOC won out. I need to try this some time, makes sense more time to coast with a fast pulse up and long coast down.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I plan on redoing the test with the new engine in, that's about two years old, but I was pretty meticulous so I trust the results.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumafeet10 View Post
, my tires are at 70psi
What kind of tires are those, semi retreads. 70psi that is crazy. Must be good tires to hold that kinda pressure.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to pumafeet10
SVOboy, it was your post that i had read and had seen a few other people have the same results. which keeps me thinking but also the frugal person i am i don't want to go out and waste gas.

I am wondering if from the more rapid acceleration what my values on my scangauge should be, as in should i accelerate at 75 on the tps or with say 75 on lod? i know its different for everyone and one prob is i don't drive my car really at all during the week since i try to bkie everywhere i go locally.

My tires...well from people such as wayne and others one here and cleanmpg.com and from my research 70psi really isn't that crazy, especially from the research i had done on what it really takes to blow up a tire.

If you want better mileage, longer tread life, and a better handling car keep your tires psi high. Start at max sidewall psi and go up in small increments till about 70 some people have done more but thats where im at right now.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
If you have a SG, just do a little testing! I doubt you'll ever find the ideal, but at least get a good idea and stick with it.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Whoa, 60mpg in a Civ? Nice! But I am a bit concerned with the 70psi tires as well. I mean, that puts the HYPER in hypermiling.

(I drive an automatic so I'm not sure how much you may get out of the followin...)

As for accelerating I was doing slow-n-go since driver's ed but I (finally) realized I was getting killed on the FE just to make my gears shift (I'm in an automatic). First heard about BSFC maps here and was intrigued. Got into the habit of accelerating around 70-75 load once I had my scangauge and I have noticed some differences especially in immediate MPG. The same stretch of road that I usually got 36-37mpg on, I started to see 39-40mpg once I did some load pedalling. Slow and go is good in general, but if you have the tools to see how far (and how hard) to gas, I say go for it.

Once I get to my ideal gear, my preferred settings are:

TPS: 15-16
RPM: < 2000
MPH: 40-50

At highway speeds, this has been my better configuration:

TPS: 16-17
RPM: < 2500
MPH: 50-55

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumafeet10 View Post

My tires...well from people such as wayne and others one here and cleanmpg.com and from my research 70psi really isn't that crazy,
I am not doubting you, but my brothers valve stems blew apart at the seams at 60psi. Just be safe no life is worth 1-2 mpg. Just my .02 not trying to be a tool.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I am not doubting you, but my brothers valve stems blew apart at the seams at 60psi. Just be safe no life is worth 1-2 mpg. Just my .02 not trying to be a tool.
I'll agree...exceeding the maximum by over 50% is pretty foolish. You wouldn't climb a 100 pound rated ladder to clean your gutters, would you?

Reply  Post New Thread