Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Very nice writeup - thanks!

I found a bracket near the timing marks that serves as a substitute "sight" marker, in line with the V-notch thing. You still need to eyeball it from several angles to see things line up but if you have a Gen 6 Civic you'll likely have the same bracket available.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

You did a write up on how to advance timing but what advantages are there if you +2 on the ignition timing? I'm curious? Have you seen any improvements? Do you have any before/after data to prove?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
It's a bit difficult to do good ABA testing with a mod like this, where the delay between runs and the cooling of the tires and drive train and changing ambient temps and wind would become big factors. But I thought it was associated with an mpg maybe. Felt the loss too when I went back to stock for emissions test. A 2 degree change is small, and therefore much safer. At most it will improve low rpm power very slightly, and assist pulse and glide driving technique more than typical light throttle acceleration. That's how I understood the mod. I might do it again this fall.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 08-05-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

runnabout - '95 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 43.79 mpg (US)
I had to pull timing on my 95 ex when changing the plugs, new plugs caused audible detonation. I set it at factory spec. My thought on the whole thing is that advancing timing can cause detonation, fix this by increased octane, does increased timing pay off in a % increase to cover the cost in fuel? As far as the jumper thing in Honda's the intention is the keep the computer from adjusting timing as the vehicle warms up and as rpm's change. Some on other sites say it isn't needed, but takes another 30 seconds to perform.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I would rather jump the harness and put it into service mode to make any adjustments. I was taught a certain way, Honda repair manual states the same as well, I'll stick to what I know. The only way I'll take anybodies word on car repairs is if they are willing to confirm that adjusting the timing without putting the ecu into service mode works. May be it does work on cars that don't have knock sensors or vtec but this is my ride, rather be on the safe side.

Reply  Post New Thread