Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How do you spend downtime at work?

I do speech therapy at a school and the way the schedule worked out, I do not see any students today. I may end up doing Continuing Education Units just to stay busy, but I have already done about twice as many as I need.

The problem is that I am an Assistant and it seems that I could see all of the student and my supervisor would still be overwhelmed with paperwork and assessments that I cannot do. I was unable to sign up for college classes for this semester. I have been trying to register for summer school, but my counselor is ignoring me. Once that achievement is unlocked my plan is:

1. Sign up for eight summer credits.
2. Order all of my textbooks.
3. Read and take notes on all of them.
4. ????
5. Profit!

Yesterday I spent a while on speech blogs, but I am not sure where to start in order to understand them. I do not think there is a Grad School to Simplified English translator. I have shared a few useful things I found in blogs here. I describe them in a sentence or two, while they use five paragraphs. Speech blogs are like that, too, so it is exhausting to skim the buzz talk and "so cute!" exclamations for actual substance.

I have seen all of my students. My notes are up-to-date. Progress reports are not due for a month. I have reviewed all of my students and created new activities where I thought it would help. There are other projects I want to complete, but I cannot do them at work. All of them require programs that I have at home, but cannot install here. One is making Go Fish cards (my students are K - 2nd) with characters from Winnie the Pooh doing different things. Many of my students do not know how to say "Pooh is eating honey" and that seems more fun than the resources we have here.

I am going to try to find some SLPs that I can harass for advice. Unfortunately, it seems like the best place is reddit, which is blocked on school computers.

Saving the world with $0 Billion is hard!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I work in IT.

Supposedly I don't have any downtime at work; there's always a long list of things to do. Realistically, I look for useful bits and pieces on eBay, things like, "why did I never consider these Chinese make fuse piggybacks, and I don't have to fabricate these myself?" Or, "Wow, nobody knows what to do with all of these hyundai lithium batteries".

I update my to-do lists - pay rent, do taxes, already fixed that leaking sink but didn't cross it out.

I glance at tech forums to see what's new that I should be aware of. It makes no sense to buy a bunch of laptop at work, for instance, when a new generation of processors is hitting the market in a month.

I chat with my girlfriend... probably more than I should.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
How do you spend downtime at work?
If I had a job, I'd consider this a honeypot.

As it is, I don't feel like I could do justice to a jerb, because I'm glued to the screen watching the efflorecence of the zeistgeist.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I've been in IT since I was 16 and have found varying degrees of free time, from a whole 13hr shift of not a single call, to my recent situation of providing IT service to all of North America, mostly making notes about the issues I won't have time to work on, and filing it into the abyss of my queue.

Back when I had a lot of time, I was on all the dating websites. The idea that I would randomly meet my wife at work or some other chance encounter seemed absurd. The odds of finding a great match go up by casting a larger net. I spent a lot of time chatting and met a few good matches from around the US. Several long term relationships resulted until finally I met the one. Met my wife on OKcupid, the best concept for a dating site that there could be (check out their analytics).

So, for a single guy who would rather not be single, I'd say browsing profiles and creating an interesting profile is a good use of slack time. It was about 5 cumulative years of online dating before I found my last date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
As it is, I don't feel like I could do justice to a jerb, because I'm glued to the screen watching the efflorecence of the zeistgeist.
I guess the key to a jorb for you would be to find more entertainment value in the work than the continual spray of mostly useless and often misleading media.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-01-2018, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Eating some snack, drinking something (mostly non-alcoholic to avoid getting in trouble), and if there is a dog on the premises it usually gets overly attached to me (quite common in the cropdusting aviation businesses) and takes some of the downtime.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I guess the key to a jorb for you would be to find more entertainment value in the work than the continual spray of mostly useless and often misleading media.
I feel like I'm living everybody else's future — no job and no taxes. I hope 'media' doesn't include Youtube. Open tabs:
Nautilus-X - A Real Spaceship At Last — f r a g o m a t i k
Terence Mckenna - The Human Nature Of Reality — REAL SPIRIT DYNAMICS
Would You Have the Courage? — Bill Whittle
In technical support a popular option was flight simulators. Oncet I had my feet up and my head back as I was waiting for someone to reboot their machine. Suddenly, I woke up! It was probably no more than 5-10 seconds, but I had no I idea. So I said "What do you have onscreen right now?", and they told me, and life went on without a lot of drama.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
There;s always something to do at work. Especially since the other departments don't bother doing all their work most of the time. So there's no real excuse not to keep busy...I spend much of my time coming up with more work for my underlings. It's when they're all busy and I'm not motivated that I find, er, "creative uses" of my time. Which usually means searching online for answers and ideas related to whatever project I'm obsessing over at the moment.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
There;s always something to do at work. Especially since the other departments don't bother doing all their work most of the time. So there's no real excuse not to keep busy...I spend much of my time coming up with more work for my underlings.
That's a good point. Well, even though it sucks when other people don't get involved with the projects that were supposed to be at their responsibility, it's not a bad idea to get one step ahead in anticipation for the unavailability of their help in some critical circumstances
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Back when I had a lot of time, I was on all the dating websites. The idea that I would randomly meet my wife at work or some other chance encounter seemed absurd. The odds of finding a great match go up by casting a larger net. I spent a lot of time chatting and met a few good matches from around the US. Several long term relationships resulted until finally I met the one. Met my wife on OKcupid, the best concept for a dating site that there could be (check out their analytics).

So, for a single guy who would rather not be single, I'd say browsing profiles and creating an interesting profile is a good use of slack time. It was about 5 cumulative years of online dating before I found my last date.
Met my GF on OKC as well, long distance but we visit frequently, and I can't imagine having met anyone who is a better fit without the aid of that site.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Hey! It has been a while since I told stories about my crazy exes!

Dictabird: Gather 'round, everyone. I'll tell you the tale of an unsophisticated man caught up in a treacherous web of power, deceit, and lust.
Cavemen: Ooh, yeah.
"The Flintstones," 1994

I have tried many dating sites over the years. I am still single.

"The fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars, but in ourselves."
"Julius Caesar," 1499 AD or something.

Eh. Maybe some dating sites are at fault, but still.

I think I actually like OKCupid, although somehow I keep forgetting about it. I deactivate my profiles when I meet someone and think we have something. I had not been on OKCupid in a while and the last time that I went to reactivate it I was under the impression that they had simplified their name to Cupid and changed all of the things that I liked about them.

Since I reopened my account a couple months ago I have allegedly received a hundred messages, but I cannot read them without paying. They send me up to three messages a day, mostly asking me to subscribe, for "only a dollar a day!"

As far as I can tell, every one of those messages women have allegedly written me have been spams from the website itself. I told it to only notify me when members messaged me, but it did not change anything, but once you guys mentioned OKCupid, I went back, and I reactivated the right account.

I happily deactivated my Cupid account. If they bother me again I only need to hit the spam button!

There are two whole women in Page!

Reply  Post New Thread