Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
The original solution was a vacuum actuated clutch. Take foot off gas, clutch disengages. Step on gas, clutch engages. One foot operation.
But the need for a vacuum provision made it unsuitable to certain engines, mostly Diesels and some newer gassers that are resorting to direct injection and getting rid of the throttle plate, and the electronic controls fitted to those vacuum-actuated clutches is still quite complex and not so easy to work on the field. Anyway, when I mentioned cars with manual transmissions adapted for disabled drivers, I was actually refering to full-mechanical devices, such as this hand clutch lever fitted to a split-window Kombi by its owner who had the left leg amputated.

Quote:
Then automatic transmissions came along and became the preferred solution in the US. That did require shifting the gas pedal over to the left side for those who lost their right leg. I got my driver's license with a left foot accelerator.
There are some right leg amputees in my country who are using hand controls for brake and accelerator, since it's cheaper than a vacuum-operated clutch control and much easier to install. Even some truckers are resorting to this.

Quote:
My dad knew an amputee that drove a motorcycle.
Whenever I saw anybody with a disability riding a motorcycle, it had been converted into a tricycle. The only exception to that is my dad, who has a left leg disability but still can drive vehicles without adaptations, even though now that he's getting older he's starting to consider getting an automatic for his next car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
The original solution was a vacuum actuated clutch. Take foot off gas, clutch disengages. Step on gas, clutch engages. One foot operation.

Then automatic transmissions came along and became the preferred solution in the US. That did require shifting the gas pedal over to the left side for those who lost their right leg. I got my driver's license with a left foot accelerator.

My dad knew an amputee that drove a motorcycle.
That's pretty similar to the old Borg-Warner overdrive boxes, no?

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
That's pretty similar to the old Borg-Warner overdrive boxes, no?
I'd actually rather relate those auxiliary overdrive units to the dual-range feature of the transfer cases in 4WD vehicles, even though shifting between the ranges on a transfer case usually requires the vehicle to come to a stop (even when they're able to shift between 2WD and 4WD on-the-fly).
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Something tells me that the US automotive industry wasn't thinking helping amputees drive. It wasn't 'till the 1990s that we passed a law requiring wheelchair ramps and the like, and people still fight that "overregulation".

The carcos were just thinking about selling to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
ecocruze (06-19-2017), ThermionicScott (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Something tells me that the US automotive industry wasn't thinking helping amputees drive. It wasn't 'till the 1990s that we passed a law requiring wheelchair ramps and the like, and people still fight that "overregulation".

The carcos were just thinking about selling to idiots.
Sure the accessibility issue was not a priority for the auto industry in the '40s and '50s, but at least Oldsmobile had advertised that automatics were easier for wounded WW2 veterans and the polio victims to get them fitted with hand controls, since it didn't require any clutch control.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Sure the accessibility issue was not a priority for the auto industry in the '40s and '50s, but at least Oldsmobile had advertised that automatics were easier for wounded WW2 veterans and the polio victims to get them fitted with hand controls, since it didn't require any clutch control.
I vaguely recall that GM-Olds advertising.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:48 AM   #37 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
I vaguely recall that GM-Olds advertising.
Oldsmobile offered it as the "Valiant" hand controls. The vehicles fitted with them could get even vacuum-booster for the brakes before it became mainstream.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...6/3739371.html
Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
The worse mpg is coming from them designing them to get worse. It's in the gear ratios. Try to tell me an automatic is more efficient when a computer is in charge is a lie. Idc if you have a 9 speed auto or whatever they are coming out with now vs a 6 speed manual or even a 5 speed doesn't matter to me. I will get better milage than the automatic​ as long as the final drive is the same. If a car is marketed as a manual having lower milage highway than a automatic they have different final drive.
Just woke up so hope that doesn't sound mentally challenged
I think there is some truth to what you are saying. It was nearly impossible to find a version of my truck in 2007 with a manual. Only 10% of production. Then, the 6-speed's gearing placed 6th at a 0.79. My dogmatic's 4th and 5th are 0.75 and 0.67. I smelled a rat then, and still do.

Today you can't get a half-ton pickup with a stick. Only something with a diesel in a 3/4 ton. Sigh.

Maybe we need to put together tranny swapping businesses...

EDIT. Consumer demand will make the change happen, or it won't. As long as people buy auto trannies, we'll be stuck with that or with our old vehicle, or with a conversion.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Here in the UK most cars are manual. We are now getting a few more automatics with the popularity of CVT (spit) and DSG (broke again has it?). Luxury cars, after years of offering automatics as an option, are now only automatics (Jaguar XJ, BMW 5 series), though the XE and XF offer manual as does the BMW 3 series.
After 25 years of driving manuals I bought an automatic (very cheap and knew its history (family member selling it). That was me hooked. I then drove automatics for the next 26 years then bought another manual. Much prefer an automatic in modern traffic conditions, especially city driving.
Here in the UK, if you pass your test in an automatic you are only allowed to drive an automatic. If you pass your test in a manual you can drive either.
I sat my PCV licence (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) so I could drive coaches. It was for automatics, a Class B licence, meaning I could only drive coaches with an automatic transmission, but that was all my company used in our area,

Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Don't you need to distinguish what type of auto transmission you are talking about?

The Honda NC/CTX700 motorcycles offer an option of the Dual Clutch Transmission, which on my 2nd gen bike has an econo "Drive" mode, a "Sport" mode and a Manual mode, or you can perform a manual up/downshift while in the automatic modes. The transmission is a standard 6 speed, not a CVT or a torque converter, only the clutching/shifting is controlled, so I don't see how it could give any less mileage than the same gear box being shifted with a foot lever and a hand clutch lever.

cheers,
Michael