EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   How do we get manual transmissions back in the US? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-do-we-get-manual-transmissions-back-us-35261.html)

ecocruze 06-14-2017 04:37 PM

How do we get manual transmissions back in the US?

Here I am with the Cruze when I really wanted a full size car. Problem that made me arrive at the Cruze is I wanted a manual transmission. Now the real problem is I have 3 kids and can't fit 3 car seats in the back of the Cruze. Wouldn't it be great if everything came with a manual transmission option. The majority of vehicles in Europe come with standard equiped manual transmission. Why is the US not the same. Lazy fat people don't want to shift?
The other thing I keep seeing is that automatics are somehow achieving higher fuel economy than the manuals. If you go to Europe they have different transmissions in the cars than sold in US. Is it really big oil or women else trying to keep us away from driving manual cars? Sorry but with same top end gearing and reasonable gearing set up in between any person with experience driving a manual should be able to get better milage.

gone-ot 06-14-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze (Post 542869)
Here I am with the Cruze when I really wanted a full size car. Problem that made me arrive at the Cruze is I wanted a manual transmission. Now the real problem is I have 3 kids and can't fit 3 car seats in the back of the Cruze. Wouldn't it be great if everything came with a manual transmission option. The majority of vehicles in Europe come with standard equiped manual transmission. Why is the US not the same. Lazy fat people don't want to shift?
The other thing I keep seeing is that automatics are somehow achieving higher fuel economy than the manuals. If you go to Europe they have different transmissions in the cars than sold in US. Is it really big oil or women else trying to keep us away from driving manual cars? Sorry but with same top end gearing and reasonable gearing set up in between any person with experience driving a manual should be able to get better milage.

In no particular order:

1) Manufacturers only have to EPA-TEST one tranny.
2) Manufacturers only have to SELL one tranny.
3) Most (80-85%), but not all, customers BUY automatics.
4) Manufacturers SELL what's most PROFITABLE: autos bring in $.
5) Forthcoming Robot Cars prefer Auto- over Manual transmission.

19bonestock88 06-14-2017 04:46 PM

I 100,000% agree with you there... Only things that are stick anymore are econoboxes and muscle cars... The high end super cars are all becoming automatic (Porsche GT3RS no longer available in manual) and mid size cars are seldom available in manual trans... My last car (the Altima) would have been great with a manual, but finding one factory equipped is like finding hens teeth, and that model was available in manual... Nothing bigger than midsize is stick at all, and midsize sticks are very rare anymore...

ThermionicScott 06-14-2017 05:21 PM

I don't see it happening without a bunch of consumers deciding that they want one. I've resigned myself to enjoying them while I can...

oil pan 4 06-14-2017 05:26 PM

Looks like you have to install it your self.
GM never made a 3rd Gen F body with a six-speed manual.
That doesn't mean you can't have one.

ar5boosted 06-14-2017 05:53 PM

As described above it's a Consumer democracy. Too many numbo's choosing what you don't like. Wait.. I'm a numbo :-)

Don't feel pressured by the numbo's.

Do what *you* want.

I have a manual car (celica) upgraded with a motor from an Automatic car. I have an Automatic car (Scenic) upgraded with a motor from a Manual car.

A guy at week just came up to me the other day and was telling me he's converting his GM Frontera from Auto to Manual because the Auto's are too sucky/expensive to repair.

Get a car you like, do what you like to it. If you want Manual, go manual.

btw-people want Auto because they change more smoothly and they can be lovely things - but I'm a numbo and what would I know. :-)

Frank Lee 06-14-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

See, if you would have stopped at two you wouldn't have this issue.

darcane 06-14-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

We don't have manuals because new car buyers don't buy cars with manuals.

Want them to come back? Go buy a new car with a manual. Convince 300,000 of your closest friends to do the same.

My large sedan has one. But it's not eco, and it's not new.

ecocruze 06-14-2017 08:09 PM

One of the main problems I see is when people are looking to buy a car they can't find a manual trans in the car they want so they settle for automatic. I mean my mother would drive stick yet if she could have found a Jeep that was manual within 100 miles. Same goes for my Dad. So I would say availability is a main issue. Mid size cars should have option at least. Guess we can factory order and say hold the tranny I'm putting my own in lol

Stubby79 06-14-2017 10:05 PM

It's another reason I have little interest in most modern cars. The first and foremost reason being that almost all modern cars are deathly boring looking, when they're not downright ugly. The only ones that are decent too look at are rather too expensive sports cars.