Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
I don't go as far as most EM'ers, but I've encountered some people who seem to think that it's kind of silly.

Confidently state how practical your actions are. That's all there is to it. Point out that your actions benefit you, and are clearly in your favor. It helps if you remember that you have no need to justify your own actions, nor to convince others to imitate you. You're merely serving your own self interests (fuel economy), and allowing others to pursue theirs.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
As I have become older, I have realized what it is to be cool. ( Something I'm not .)
But what cool is ..is confidence in yourself as many of you guys have mentioned.
I remember in high school the 'cool' kid that had an old junk car that barely ran and he would have to push it to get it started sometimes.
If i had the same car, things would have been totally different.
I would have been laughed at.
It was the way the guy carried himself. If you made fun of him, it didn't phase him.

I went through the period of having 'muscle cars' like the cool kids. It didn't work. I was just a geek with a cool car. ( a '69 Camaro )

I didn't have the attitude to match the car.

If you think about the title 'muscle car' versus 'economy car', it's just the way it is in real life - the guy that wants to show off his masculinity drives his 'muscle' car. And the poor fellow that can't afford anything else has his car labeled as an 'economy' car.

Even the styling reflects this. Think outside the box and think like an artist here :

Give the car a "face and a body" and you will see what i mean. Artist personify cars all the time this way :

Muscle Cars have large wide tires which appear like thick arms or broad fists - while economy cars have tiny, skinny tires much like skinny legs.

Wide tires make a car look powerful.
Small, skinny tires look weak.
Muscle cars have broad " shoulders " in the form of bulging fenders
Economy cars have rounded droopy shoulders.

Muscle cars have "mean" grilles and eyes ( the lights or the windshield )
Economy cars have tiny grilles that look like a puckering or sad face and sad or 'cute' faces.
Muscle cars have a small window area. This makes the car look as if it is squinting and looking mean.

Economy cars have a large glass area and high beltline. This gives the car a 'cute' look much like the way a cartoonist will give a girl large eyes to look cute.

Muscle cars are low to the ground and appear to be ready to pounce.
Economy cars appear to be on their tip toes and off balance. ( high ride height )

I wonder how many people have passed up buying 'economy' cars based on the fact that they are classed as 'economy' cars and therefore make them feel poor.

When i had my muscle cars years ago, I found out that if you wanted to attract attention from guys, you drove a muscle car.
Girls wanted someone that had self esteem - no matter the car.
In fact as my sister later told me, girls would rather drive home in a Toyota Corolla, because they know they guy was not going to wreck showing off.
It's not the car you drive but the attitude you carry eh ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
Kodak (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diabla - '09 Renault Laguna Hatchback
Another way of thinking:

If a dog barks at you, do you bark back?

Even if you do bark back, the dog with rarely understand anything and even if it will stop barking, it will usually revert back to barking when another person walks by.

Intelligent people will directly or politely ask you why have you done this or that and they are the ones who are worthy of your time and attention and they are the ones from whom you can also learn something worthy.

It`s your own choice in life whether you want to give any attention whatsoever to insulters, ridiculers and all those other barking people/animals/slotmachines etc...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I've had all kinds of people point and chuckle at the mods I've put on my car(s). By the time you're at the "big" ones (kamm back, big-ass air dam, etc.), you probably won't be as self-conscious about the whole thing. And you may be surprised how many people "get it" and want to actually talk about it seriously with you.
This is by far one of the best reasons that I added a tail to the car. That, and the plates that state my normal gas mileage.

I have way more people willing to pass me right away due to the tail and the plates. They see the high number and either want to check it out further, or blaze past, but not much in between.

The tail really makes the purpose of the car obvious, even though it adds only a small amount at my driving speed.

Jim.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
@Cd- I like how you explained the "style" situation, but I will comment on the Fiat 500, Vespa motorcars and the original Morris/BMC Mini. It seems that cars like this blur the line between what is poverty/uncool and cool. Every now and then the manufacturers get it "right" all the way around the block. Mix in motorsport bonafides and all of a sudden, you have a car that both extremes in the social construct wouldn't mind being seen in ( jock and nerd ).

As in life, the day that the nerd takes it to the jock and beats him despite the difference in size and power, is the day the nerd is transformed.

What people don't understand, they automatically fear, and to mask their ignorance they send insults. Too many people have a hard time keeping an open mind and being curious, so it's easier to make a mockery. If I see something unusual, I just engage the person and most of the time they explain what's up, no matter what it is.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I was a bit self conscious at first. but I did it like several others said, I started small and worked up from there. Grill block (can even do it stealthy like my lower one) http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ose-14328.html. then do a side mirror delete (I have to tell people its not there, as they do not see the absence of it).

you will get 3 reactions from people.
odd looks /giggling
middle finger (or other not nice things/ remarks)
questions

the first on I just wave back or smile for the cell phone pic they take
second one I just smile back and make sure I am getting over 50 mpg as they make a smoke cloud going by in their truck (most jerks drive a truck if male, minivans if female)

third one I answer their questions and most people think its great to save money but would not want to drive one their self.

I have gotten so use to people looking at my car as they go by that I look to see there reaction. it can make driving fun I even do it when I drive other cars and I have to tell myself that there is nothing odd about the car I am driving hence the blank looks other drivers give me when I am not driving my car.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Muscle cars have broad " shoulders " in the form of bulging fenders
I don't think that logic works in this instance. When I see cars with broad rear fenders like that, I can't help but think "LARD BUTT" :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I don't think that logic works in this instance. When I see cars with broad rear fenders like that, I can't help but think "LARD BUTT" :-)
Naw, that car has a J Lo booty

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 04-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post

Muscle Cars have large wide tires which appear like thick arms or broad fists - while economy cars have tiny, skinny tires much like skinny legs.

Wide tires make a car look powerful.
Small, skinny tires look weak.

So what does driving a car (Aerocivic) with no visible tires mean?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
So what does driving a car (Aerocivic) with no visible tires mean?
That you're in (low) drag?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
taco (04-17-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread