EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   How long do your cell phone chargers last? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-long-do-your-cell-phone-chargers-last-35781.html)

Xist 10-28-2017 09:25 AM

How long do your cell phone chargers last?

I bought one last night from Best Buy and it is already doing the Not Charging, Charging, Not Charging nonsense. I have been keeping them plugged in as much as possible, unplugging the other end when necessary, and carrying the cord with it, still plugged in. I have not unplugged this cord since purchasing it last night!
One roommate said his iPhone's chargers lasted him years, but I am pretty sure the longest any have lasted in my Android is a month. It is two and a half years old. I have considered replacing the charging port, but often when I fixed my laptop, something tiny and fragile broke. I don't want that happening with my phone!

Xist 10-28-2017 09:27 AM

I have used wireless chargers, but the "fast charger" barely maintains my battery if I am actually using it, but after a couple of weeks they also started doing the Not Charging, Charging, Not Charging nonsense.

RedDevil 10-28-2017 09:39 AM

My previous phone used to last about a week on its battery, but gradually it went down to less than a day - awkwardly, in lumps and with exceptions.
Then it started resetting itself for no reason.
Also the USB connector did not fit really nice anymore...

Long story short; dirt in the connector was shorting the power bearing contacts!
One good clean and it lasted a week again. Maybe that helps you too.

ksa8907 10-28-2017 09:48 AM

A 2.5 year old phone? I would bet the battery is very near end of life (approaching 1000 cycles). And yes, dirt and corrosion will cause problems on the charging contacts, but you problem sounds like a loose wire or the charger is not powerful enough and the voltage is sagging under load so the phones charge controller shuts down.

oil pan 4 10-28-2017 10:13 AM

The cords last a year or 2.
I have not had a 120v to 5v USB power supply go bad.
If the phone turns off for no reason you probably have a bad battery.

Stubby79 10-28-2017 10:14 AM

Dunno. Use my PC to charge most things.

Oh, wait...there's the tablets. They have AC USB chargers. They've been going for years. Occasionally have to replace a dead USB cable though.

seifrob 10-28-2017 10:16 AM

Every one of my chargers outlasted their respective phones, and I never had problems with charging. I follow simple rules:
- never leave charger in AC outlet ( ?wall socket?) when not in use
- do not use (phone, walk, surf etc) while charging
- Plug and unplug softly, keep socket clean
- Full charge, full discharge
- do not bend cables

wdb 10-28-2017 10:30 AM

Mine last forever. The only thing I've noticed since I got an iPad is that the phone chargers won't charge it because it needs more oomph (that's tech jargon for amperage).

freebeard 10-28-2017 01:42 PM

My life is un-troubled by such things, but in general —with consumer electronics— things tend to fail out of the box or at the end of life after a long stretch of reliability.

Your part hadn't achieved burn-in.

If it wasn't this way you wouldn't have received a warranty with it.

JockoT 10-28-2017 01:47 PM

They always outlast the phone. Never had to replace an OEM one.