Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #61 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I want to get a drone or take high-quality panoramic pictures of the Page area and environs. I have taken a few dozen pictures and three 360° ones, but I have hardly uploaded anything because we do not have the Internet yet. Supposedly we used our data with a couple of days left, although my sister says we have 9GB rollover from last month.

There was a big eclipse when I was a kid and we took a box left over from Dad's latest bookcase and made a pinhole camera. The local news station showed people that made much bigger ones.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 AM   #62 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have been here for five or six months. My coworkers are nice, although I have not made any friends. I absolutely love the kids and it is always sad when my students meet their goals and I need to stop wasting their time. Let it go and all of that. I have visited zero parks, monuments, or anything, I drive to Mom's house after work on Friday, and I drive home Sunday afternoon. Mom always acts happy to have me around. I spent my entire Christmas break there. We hardly did anything, but I spent the first week studying for the GRE. I still wished I could stay longer. I keep hoping that an SLPA job opens up near Mom because I am tired of driving ten hours each weekend! That really only leaves Saturday to do projects, and I could never maintain this if I get into grad school.

Yeah, about that...

I submitted everything before the deadline for the program I wanted, but they did not acknowledge some of it until it was too late. If I did not get in this year, I would start retaking speech classes through them, but school started the next day. I will take classes this summer and in the fall.

This job pays great, but it seems that I cannot afford the full student loan payment, around $500. With deductions my paychecks are the same as my old job, where I averaged thirteen hours a week, but I see about four times as many kids, and have all of the time I need at my desk to work on activities and paperwork and I just walk back and forth inside the school, instead of fighting traffic for two hours a day, dealing with cancellations, no-shows, and attempting to make up lost sessions.

I think I was waiting for my cash to flow in the right direction before signing up for NorthPointe Bank's Ultimate Checking Account (which paid 5% interest on up to $10,000). Unfortunately, they stopped offering that back in November.

I transferred my credit card to one with a 0% introductory rate and I have been using that while accumulating money in my checking account. I could have made about $60.86 in interest!

It looks like Consumers Credit Union is the next best, they offer 4.59% on up to $20,000! The interest is actually tiered based on your activity. You can earn 3.09% for
Quote:
Complete at least 12 Debit/Check Card point-of-sale purchases (transactions must be made without using your personal identification number (PIN) to count toward the minimum of 12 and must post and clear your account as a credit transaction on or before the last day of the calendar month)
You use your debit card as credit? If you spend at least $500 each month in any number of transactions they give you 3.59% and the 4.59% requires $1,000 a month (in any number of transactions).

$500 student loans, $395 rent, $80 car insurance, and $25 food?

Hey, if I can find enough 0% introductory balance transfers and I keep up this for twenty months, I will make an extra $918 a year! :P

Somehow I feel like I need an alternative long-term plan. Once I took the GRE I talked to the SLP that works for the only speech agency in the area. I applied and tried to follow up through e-mail. Whenever I go to call something comes up, but that would pay better than anything else I could do. If I picked up five clients a week I could finally start paying off my credit card (or at least have enough money available to do so, but earning 4.59%), purchase groceries besides oatmeal and beans, and maybe start fixing up my cars.

You guys have a great night!
Old 01-25-2018, 02:32 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'd go with a credit union over a bank on principle.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #64 (permalink)
Not Doug

It seems like credit unions actually want to help people, instead of only wanting to make money off of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-25-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #65 (permalink)
Not Doug

I am finally signing up for the checking account with the highest interest rate I can find. Apparently Mango has been around for at least a couple of years, but I just found them. They have some complicated setup where if you create an account, set up direct deposit, and then spend at least $800 a month, not counting transfers, they give you 6% interest on up to $5,000. The blog where I found it did not seem impressed. You can try to make sense of it here: https://www.mangomoney.com/what-is-mango/ This sounds similar, but I do not understand either, just that if you play your cards right this place promises 5% on up to $5,000, but redditors claim to receive 5% on balances over $5,000. It sounds too complicated to be worthwhile, but you can dive in here: https://www.insightcards.com
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I wouldn't use an online-only account. When there's a problem, it's nice to be able to go to their office and talk to actual humans. As happened to me yesterday: tried to activate the new ATM card by phone, which failed with no indication why. Stopped by the office, and they fixed it in a couple of minutes.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #67 (permalink)
Not Doug

Bank of America tried pushing me into an on-line only account. I forget how I avoided that, but now I live two and a half hours from the nearest branch, and the only time I could stop by would be on vacation. Bank of the West is the biggest bank in town. I am not familiar with it, but it has more than 600 branches and offices in the Midwest and West. There is a Wells Fargo ATM, a National Bank of Arizona branch (more than 50 locations! All in Arizona!), an Altier Credit Union (with four other locations, including near my old house), and a Coconino Federal Credit Union, with three whole locations!

I was looking at Consumers Credit Union last night, but do I spend $1,000 in purchases each month? That is 40% of my take home pay, so around 40% of what I spend. I mentioned student loans and rent, but neither of those would count. I need to look at my expenditures and see if I can maintain that.

Altier Credit Union has a Cassava account, or something. I kept seeing that name when I was looking for the best-paying checking account, but none of the Cassavas were the best. Altier offers 2% on up to $5,000 as long as you make you make fifteen debit transactions a month that settle.

They are smart, though!

Quote:
Altier CU reserves the right to disqualify multiple small-dollar POS transactions made in sequence during the qualification cycle for the sole intent to qualify for the rewards.
Do I want more interest on a larger possible balance or do I want the convenience of following the employees home and mowing their lawns?

Decisions decisions!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Personally, I think interest on a checking account is irrelevant. I only keep enough in mine to cover the month's bills, moving it as needed to/from savings and/or investments.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #69 (permalink)
Not Doug

How much do you earn in savings?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Savings? A few dollars a year. Mostly I keep money in savings so I don't have to take it out of stocks if the market takes a dip - as it did the last week or two. Investments - things I actually expect to make money on, over time, are low-cost mutual funds, mostly index funds. I use Vanguard for IRA money, T. Rowe Price for stuff that's not tax-sheltered, but there are other good companies. Average return, over decades, is around 7.5% per year, but you have to be prepared to weather bad years, like '08-09, and let good years like the last couple even things out.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-17-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread