Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Nice animated icon, hvatum!

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
Nice animated icon, hvatum!
ty

I think regardless of the amount of oil left, most people here agree that we need to be going over to non-CO2 power sources now. Whatever the cost of burning oil is, we can't afford the cost to the environment.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
I've read that most geologists believe ~3 trillion barrels of oil existed on the earth during the modern age. As of 2004, ~900 billion barrels of oil had been extracted. Peak oil is supposed to hit at 1.5 trillion barrels. We are probably in or are going to hit peak oil by 2012.

As you can see, there is a lot of oil left, apparently enough to last us another century...except humans are greedy. The reason oil is going to run out in our lifetimes isn't supply, but ever increasing demand.

Oil will always exist, but it won't satiate the world's ever growing hunger. You can't consume 3% more energy every year forever, especially not on fossil fuels. Well before oil runs out, it will become economically ousted.

As far as converting your truck to electric, you might want to shift your thinking. If you want to be a "slave" to electric companies, as you expect might happen, then stay on course. Otherwise, I'd rethink why you need a 3085lb vehicle to move a 180lb object...

An obese man running out of food money may think economics is the issue, while the wise person would understand that it is gluttony. Alternative energy is a solution, but it is not the answer.

- LostCause
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
I've read that most geologists believe ~3 trillion barrels of oil existed on the earth during the modern age. As of 2004, ~900 billion barrels of oil had been extracted. Peak oil is supposed to hit at 1.5 trillion barrels. We are probably in or are going to hit peak oil by 2012.

As you can see, there is a lot of oil left, apparently enough to last us another century...except humans are greedy. The reason oil is going to run out in our lifetimes isn't supply, but ever increasing demand.

Oil will always exist, but it won't satiate the world's ever growing hunger. You can't consume 3% more energy every year forever, especially not on fossil fuels. Well before oil runs out, it will become economically ousted.

As far as converting your truck to electric, you might want to shift your thinking. If you want to be a "slave" to electric companies, as you expect might happen, then stay on course. Otherwise, I'd rethink why you need a 3085lb vehicle to move a 180lb object...

An obese man running out of food money may think economics is the issue, while the wise person would understand that it is gluttony. Alternative energy is a solution, but it is not the answer.

- LostCause

Im 168. lol

Doubt it is economical to spend the $$$ needed to go electric. I am going to reduce how much gas my truck needs and get out my old bike to ride for those short trips to walmart

College is almost over so the bike will get a workout.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Apparently there is 200 years worth of coal that can be converted to oil profitably at any price over $50/ barrel.

I think we need to be looking at all solutions, with electric being one of the better ones and eliminating the waste as our best one.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Liberti

Coal is not the way to go.

- LostCause
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not saying that it was, but combustible liquid fuels will be needed and available for a long time to come.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
They will be. Check out BtL for high quality synthetic fuels from waste biomass. Adding more Carbon isn't the way to go IMO.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoFodder

Jetta TDI - '00 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
Coal is not the way to go.

- LostCause
That looks bad, but it's frankly not very worrying. I'm much rather have a few square miles of that massive areas of the Amazon being used to plant rape seed or what have you. What's more worrying is that all the carbon from that coal there is ending up in our atmosphere.

Coal is not the way to go, but it is the way we are going.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Liberti

I'm confused as to why people want to turn every square inch of the earth into productive land. I don't understand the motivation to turn rural land, into surburban land, into urban land, into a metropolis. Who actually thought that quality of life is increased by maximizing population density?

Why don't people understand that increased consumption only leads to increased desire? Historically, things that have increased our productivity have decreased our free time. Like any addiction, more is needed every day to satisfy the desires of yesterday.

We are headed for coal for the same exact reason we keep popping out millions of babies every week. People are not willing to sacrifice for the common good. It's called the ego, which unfortunately is more powerful than common sense.

Let's turn this:

Into this:

At least the dinosaurs had a meteor to kill them off...we have to settle for stupidity and greed. I've grown cynical, literally...

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 04-30-2008 at 10:14 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread