Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

How old to start kids on bikes

I've been devouring some good biking info from Sheldon Brown's site, and he's of the opinion that the earlier the better for youngsters to start bike riding--even saying that at 2 1/2 the kid will be ready!

My son is 4 and my daughter will be 3 in a month, and I thought it would make the perfect Christmas gift to get them both a bicycle. I just don't want to rush them and have them fall and be scared of it. I'm pretty sure my son can handle it, but it will be a travesty to my daughter if I don't get her a bike as well. She wants to do everything he does (and does a great job at it too!)

Anyone actually do this in practice and have luck with it?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
There is a "bicycle" without pedals called the strider that apparently kids as young as 2 years old can learn to ride, because it doesn't have pedals you sit on the seat and kick it along, both feet on the ground, so it helps build confidence and gets them learning the feel of balance.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
I can't remember where I learned it but, a great way to start kids on a two wheeler without training wheels is to start them on a (very) slight downhill. Make sure the seat is low enough for them to reach ground flat footed. Have them start off walking the bike with big strides done the hill. After they do it a few times have them try holding their feet of the ground. Work your way up to putting them on the pedals and pedaling. They catch on really fast.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My boy was 3 when I taught him to ride a 2 wheeler. I held the seat and ran behind him while he pedaled. It took about 4 hours before I could let go of the seat. It took him 5 hours to realize I wasn't holding on anymore and he fell flat. He got right back on and and started pedaling again. Confidence is key. Yours and theirs. My boy is now 7 and this summer he cut his teeth on a small dirt bike. Start em as young as they and you can handle

Reply  Post New Thread