Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Read a good post about a woman living in her Prius. She has found some creative ways to turn it into a single person RV of sorts.

Great idea for someone traveling alone and needs to travel many miles for minimal costs. I especially like the part where the Prius can start and stop the engine as needed for heating and A/C when parked.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/other-c.../living-prius/

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphDaCivic View Post
Read a good post about a woman living in her Prius.
I have seen some pictures of a Prius converted into an RV, with the rear hatch replaced with a module similar to those Toppola used in old Saabs.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I have a utility van/camper interior in my VW Superbeetle. So far it includes a 6ft rack, large Koolatron fridge, curtain rods but no curtains, speakers with 1/8" jack (working on an amp), solar panel under the backlight, and... a compass?

This would fit a Dodge as well as the VW. Basically it's an airfoil bumper to lower the stagnation point, a boattail for the rear, and a stripe in the paint to connect the two.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Replying to myself again. [mutter, mutter]

But I was looking for somewhere to post this and it is on topic. Elsewhere there is a thread about a modern equivalent to the Beetle for light weight, but this is about RVing.

Just A Car Guy: Nick made his own camper from his Honda Element (cheaper and more reliable than an old VW van)

Parallels to a VW camper include the rock-and-roll bed and double side doors; but I was struck by the side-sliding cabinet door that allows for the bike handlebar, and the outdoor sink that addresses slowmover's concern. Sorta.

As for the hybrid part, a watercooled 20hp alternator is apparently the easy way.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
As for the hybrid part, a watercooled 20hp alternator is apparently the easy way.
I'd rather use some Euro minivan such as the Renault Kangoo or the Fiat Doblò currently available in America as Ram ProMaster City instead of the Honda Element, but it doesn't seem to be so bad at all.

Anyway, maybe the hybrid setup seems to be even more beneficial in an RV since it would eventually render a genset unnecessary.

Reply  Post New Thread