Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
*Faints* Oh me Oh my!!!

LOL. Dude - I doubt there are too many people here who would fault you for doing what you can with what you have!

The truth is, (I just discussed this in short with Wonderboy yesterday) - You're doing more good by doing what you can with what you already have than buying a new car and throwing away what you're already working with.

Sure, you're not the highest-mileage-getting six gun on the scene, but neither am I. The difference between us and many others in the world is that we're doing good, while they're talking about it.

Another quote I make all the time: Quit complaining and start changing.

At least you're trying to maximize what you have. I've gotten flack on other forums because I'm concerned about getting better mileage out of my 3500# minivan... "I should get a more fuel efficient car if I'm worried about economy that much." I hear that alot. I couldn't agree with it more, honestly, but it's not fiscally or economically responsible for me to throw away my perfectly working van and get a more fuel efficient car.

Instead, I'll just keep pushing myself to get better mileage in the van, and keep pushing the point with other people as well. Maybe some day, I'll mod the van and get better fuel economy than a Prius. Maybe. Someday.

Until that day, I guess I'll do what I can, with what I have.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Oh, I shop at Whole Foods and other stores that support local/organic farmers, as well, and buy from a couple local stands as well...
Me too, but that's because I like food that tastes good, not because of my politics. Same with the garden & compost pile.

But this association of politics with cars & fuel economy has always seemed completely bass-akwards to me. I mean your liberal is supposed to be the one who likes spending money, no? While your conservative (of the fiscal variety, at least) is stereotypically supposed to pinch every penny until Abe starts crying. But when it comes to cars, there's your left-winger in his fuel-sipping Prius, while the right-winger thinks he has to blow gallons of that $4 gas out the tailpipe.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'll admit to the firebomb in post #29.

Perhaps my humor is a bit warped but I quoted BS (Dust to Dust) and replied with a similar infamous reply.

Civil discussions have never been plentiful enough, but my post is a response to debates getting away from "may the best idea win" to spitting matches and other shamless tatics.

Last edited by Chuck.; 09-10-2009 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Perhaps in the interest of safety and environmental preotection, the OP would consider a ban on the deadly dihydrogen monoxide. I mean, it kills hundreds of people a year...
I got in alot of trouble (threatened expulsion) at school for playing this prank... I posted signs about how each water supply in the school contained dihydrogen monoxide, and how a very small quantity could kill a full sized adult if inhaled... I mean, how bad could it have been to warn my fellow students and faculty?

Ok, in all honesty, it did cause quite a problem at school... but I think threatening expulsion was going a little far.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:

I guess I'm just trying to say that sweeping generalizations about folks can really get in the way of decent and reasonable discourse...
Right on.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Since this thread is clearly no longer going anywhere useful, I'll close it. It's been pointed out enough how flawed the study and the ideas represented by it are, so we really don't need to fight about politics, which isn't what this site is about. There are plenty of internets out there for those of you would would rather cast stones at each other than improve your fuel economy.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread