Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I believe he is speaking about separating the gasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
A few years ago a retard HHO scientists Darwin awarded him self and injured 2 other people doing this.
It is true that mixing the output gasses together under pressure can result in the hydrogen reaching the point of spontaneous combustion. Hydrogen has a very low energy of ignition even if it's ignition temperature is high at standard temperature and pressure (STP). By adding pressure, the added latent energy causes the lowering of the ignition temperature. Once the ignition temperature coincides with the energy of ignition . . . Boom!

But, if you know what you are doing, things are perfectly safe. And I know what I'm doing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
With 22 million views, $0.0008 per view, this guy made over $17,000 off his video!
It doesn't matter if he knows he's spreading bs, he's figured out how to make something from nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
spacemanspif (06-29-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There is some basis for the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Thanks Chaz, that the guy! Case closed, nothing but hot air apparently.
It is just buried deep within the drivel.

Hydrogen seeding to form reactive radicals before the onset of ignition is a basic fact of combustion science. Research continues in this.

Electrolysis produces a measured amount of ozone in the oxygen stream. Research has shown that 40ppm (parts per million) can measurably accelerate the combustion reaction. Common mineral "impurities" found in common tap water can bias electrolysis to produce more ozone.

Every HHO aficionado I have contacted knows nothing of the above. Most of the detractors fall into the same lack of knowledge. In more learned circles a "wait and see" or " more work needs to be done" conclusion usually follows a heated discussion. And that is my conclusion on this subject.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
With 22 million views, $0.0008 per view, this guy made over $17,000 off his video!
It doesn't matter if he knows he's spreading bs, he's figured out how to make something from nothing.
But this is just an aside to the original question of " could there be something to this".

Old 06-28-2016, 12:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I prefer this guy:

Old 06-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Anyone trying to compress hho does not know what they are doing. A tank filled with hho is a cheap bomb.
The only thing to this will be more people killed and injured.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Rustylugnut.....You need desperately to explain something to me. We have to assume that by adding 1 part in 100 to the fuel stream, (I'm just guessing that you are disassociating a quart of water for every 25 gallons of gas) that it is going to be exceedingly difficult increase the efficiency of the ICE. You can talk flame fronts and hydrogen seeding till yer blue in the face, but Gasoline IS HYDROGEN!! It isn't some sorta nerfgas, it is hydrogen loosely attached to carbon, that's it. The air is 21% oxygen, so when you add tiny amounts of hydrogen and oxygen that you have disassociated on board your car, you are really only adding a modicum of fuel to the stream.

Now it stands to reason that if it takes more energy to split the hydrogen and oxygen than you can get by recombining them....just alone! You can't get more energy when you recombine no matter what. And since an engine is 30% efficient, and an alternator is like 70% efficient, you only are getting 1 watt of energy in electricity for every 5 needed in fuel to power you hydrogen diffusing apparatus.

How the hell are you supposed to see any efficiency gain whatsoever when it takes 5 times the amount of energy to create the minuscule amount of extra fuel that requires 80% more energy to take apart than can be derived by burning it in your engine?

Where is your disconnect from reality here? Seriously, if you cannot explain how you are supposed to overcome these very basic principles of physics than you need to just go away and quit posting nonsensical drivel.

Numbers Rusty, show us numbers about where this magical energy comes from to improve a vehicles combustion enough to see any improvement at all when you are starting from a 5 to 1 energy deficit at the outset. How do you go from 5 to 1 to improvement? Tell us where the 500% efficiency gain is JUST TO BREAK-EVEN? Then explain where the 10,000% gains in efficiency are produced by adding tiny amounts of hydrogen and oxygen to the engines fuel stream which might be seen as an actual small improvement in MPG by someone who is very carefully testing their mileage?

Fact is you can't, because physics won't allow you to get more energy out of a system than you put into it, unless you're talking about nuclear power, which you clearly are not.

And by numbers you need to provide volumetric data on hydrogen produced and added to the fuel stream along with the volume of fuel in the form of gasoline on a like basis. Then explain what fantastic phenomena occurs at these volumes, which you are able to produce, that create so much extra energy. And tell me how much electric current/power is required to produce this hydrogen, and run that back through the alternator and engine to see how much fuel is required to generate the electricity that creates the hydrogen from water.

Here's a handy link to the Wiki page on the electrolysis of water to help you get a start.
Here's another handy link to determine the megajoules of energy in a gallon of gasoline (you'll need to know that in order to figure out it'll take at least 1.5 gallons of gas to perform electrolysis on a quart of water.)

Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have argued this point with you in other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Rustylugnut.....You need desperately to explain something to me. We have to assume that by adding 1 part in 100 to the fuel stream, (I'm just guessing that you are disassociating a quart of water for every 25 gallons of gas) that it is going to be exceedingly difficult increase the efficiency of the ICE. You can talk flame fronts and hydrogen seeding till yer blue in the face, but Gasoline IS HYDROGEN!! It isn't some sorta nerfgas, it is hydrogen loosely attached to carbon, that's it. The air is 21% oxygen, so when you add tiny amounts of hydrogen and oxygen that you have disassociated on board your car, you are really only adding a modicum of fuel to the stream.

Now it stands to reason that if it takes more energy to split the hydrogen and oxygen than you can get by recombining them....just alone! You can't get more energy when you recombine no matter what. And since an engine is 30% efficient, and an alternator is like 70% efficient, you only are getting 1 watt of energy in electricity for every 5 needed in fuel to power you hydrogen diffusing apparatus.

How the hell are you supposed to see any efficiency gain whatsoever when it takes 5 times the amount of energy to create the minuscule amount of extra fuel that requires 80% more energy to take apart than can be derived by burning it in your engine?

Where is your disconnect from reality here? Seriously, if you cannot explain how you are supposed to overcome these very basic principles of physics than you need to just go away and quit posting nonsensical drivel.

Numbers Rusty, show us numbers about where this magical energy comes from to improve a vehicles combustion enough to see any improvement at all when you are starting from a 5 to 1 energy deficit at the outset. How do you go from 5 to 1 to improvement? Tell us where the 500% efficiency gain is JUST TO BREAK-EVEN? Then explain where the 10,000% gains in efficiency are produced by adding tiny amounts of hydrogen and oxygen to the engines fuel stream which might be seen as an actual small improvement in MPG by someone who is very carefully testing their mileage?

Fact is you can't, because physics won't allow you to get more energy out of a system than you put into it, unless you're talking about nuclear power, which you clearly are not.

And by numbers you need to provide volumetric data on hydrogen produced and added to the fuel stream along with the volume of fuel in the form of gasoline on a like basis. Then explain what fantastic phenomena occurs at these volumes, which you are able to produce, that create so much extra energy. And tell me how much electric current/power is required to produce this hydrogen, and run that back through the alternator and engine to see how much fuel is required to generate the electricity that creates the hydrogen from water.

Here's a handy link to the Wiki page on the electrolysis of water to help you get a start.
Here's another handy link to determine the megajoules of energy in a gallon of gasoline (you'll need to know that in order to figure out it'll take at least 1.5 gallons of gas to perform electrolysis on a quart of water.)
What you are speaking of is the simple viewpoint of the HIGH SCHOOL student. If I remember right, you came from a nuclear technology background so it should not come as a surprise to you that there are specialties in engineering .

I refer you to a book called "Combustion", by Glassman and Yetter. It is used in many undergraduate/graduate courses in combustion science. In the first part of the book the discussion centers on the complexity of combustion. Octane (C8H18) does not simply thermally de-polymerize and go directly to the combustion ashes of CO2 and H2O. There are many pathways and side reactions that the de-polymerization can take. This takes time. Thus you have a flame front and flame speed. One reaction pathway may release heat which is robbed by another pathway. A plethora of smaller chain molecules may exist at some point all competing for the energy or releasing energy as it may. This takes time. Yes, you can simply take the heats of formation of C8H18 and CO2 and H20 and get the total heat of combustion, but that is only part of the story. Time is the other. During de-polymerization, highly reactive radicals such as H+, OH- , OOH, HOOH and so forth are created. Their existence was theorized decades ago and only in the last decade has instrumentation and detection techniques allowed us to verify them. These radicals are important in that they "rip apart" the long chain hydrocarbons into shorter species. By adding a small amount of H2 and O3 before the ignition point free radicals can be formed via the heat addition of compression, radiation and turbulence since the energy of dissociation for H2 and O3 is quite low. This rich cloud of active radicals is now ready to pounce on the long chain hydrocarbons and release even more hydrogen and form even more radicals in a domino effect. The seeding of the fuel mix with these radicals "railroads" some of the side reactions resulting in a faster flame front. No more energy is created in this reaction, but the combustion TIME is shorter. If you have an engine that needs 30 degrees of ignition lead to produce a required amount of torque, it means you are wasting 30 degrees of pressure rise for that power stroke. If you can accelerate the flame rate and now only need 20 degrees of ignition lead, you are wasting much less of your pressure rise and can use it in the productive down stroke. You can now use less fuel.

All the above takes place in an engine that is in detonation. If your fuel mix is heated via intake turbulence, absorptive radiation from the engine mass and then by compression heating, you may just have produced the conditions for thermal de-polymerization to start BEFORE the ignition spark as free radicals are formed from the oxygen in the air, traces of exhaust gas and trapped active radicals from crevices in quench zones. If your conditions are sub-detonation, you can push the combustion in that (detonation) direction by seeding of hydrogen or ozone.

So, how much HHO is needed? That is not a simple question because all engines and power regimes are not the same. But, the best engines to respond to HHO addition are the same ones that want to detonate. Iron blocks with iron heads and high compression along with high swirl intakes need the least amount of HHO to see effect. I have built and tested to some degree, a 2.4 liter iron block and iron head engine that had a Siamese intake/exhaust configuration that heated the incoming air and thus the engine could run at very lean (28:1 AFR) and could produce useful power levels (20 hp) at cruise (1500 RPM) by using a 22:1 compression ratio. This engine was to power our AutoXprize entrant. By adding an exceedingly small amount of HHO, a reduction in ignition lead time as described above was seen. Thus a measurable fuel savings of a few percent could be gained depending on variables. So how small an amount? 1:750 - 1:2000 ( HHO:air). Since the engine cruised un-throttled, that means you would need only 1 liter per minute of HHO to only several hundred cubic centimeters per minute.

So how much electrical energy is that? I'll leave that to you. That is simple high school stuff.

Start with a Coulomb. Divide that into the moles to produce 1 liter of HHO gas then convert that back into amperes and apply your alternator efficiency. I've skipped some steps but I'm sure you can fill them in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
Logic (08-18-2022), pgfpro (07-01-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I feel a disclaimer is in order.

Just like Aerohead defends and corrects posts associated with the subject of aerodynamics , I feel inclined to defend and correct posts related to the subject of combustion theory. By simplifying the subject, I may do a disservice and skew or err. However, my position is simple and clear. I do not support the HHO salesmen who make unsubstantiated claims and outright fallacies. At the same time, the simple rebuttal of "science says HHO can't work" is itself false. I have repeatedly outlined theories and text books that support the possibility that HHO could have an effect if certain variables are met. Also, ignoring the effect of the other component of HHO, ozone, is ignoring a large portion of the effect. SWI and NRL has determined exceedingly small amounts of ozone accelerate combustion. This effect should not be ignored in discussions if dialogue is to be complete.

I have tried to reply to some of the most brutal and abusive dialogue ever put out by members of this forum. It is seemingly allowed by the Moderators. ChazInMT is only one of many. His failure of understanding is simply that of education. But, his hubris is one that permeates this forum. If you do not have an understanding of a subject, why do you argue?

Last edited by RustyLugNut; 06-28-2016 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Addition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
Logic (09-01-2022), pgfpro (07-01-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Under very special conditions, like your extreme lean burn engine with heated intakes running stationary, a minute addition of hydrogen and ozone may have a measurable benefit.
As it apparently solves a problem with that process.
We never have found any proof that it works on an engine under 'normal' conditions.

You can lash ChazInMT for having a high school students viewpoint.
That just indicates it is time to ride this beasty back to where it belongs - the corral, where this subject has already been discussed over and over again.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
t vago (06-29-2016)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread