Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #591 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Oh, like the "Steam-o-lean" engine of Bruce Crower's? Or more like a simple water enjection? - or like a real steam engine out of a train?
On Bruce's engine "why inject water after alot of heat is gone out the exhaust valve!"

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #592 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Not sure if this has been posted yet....

eBay Guides - Hydrogen Generator Economy Device SCAMS

Lets get the facts straight. Water is H2O aka- 2parts Hydrogen, 1part Oxygen combined together. When put under electrolysis or electrosis these molecules split forming a gas known as HHO which is a very explosive and powerful gas. The smallest of sparks can ignite the gas and if stored into container which for some reason caught fire the result could be fatal. No need to get scared though, if the proper precautions are made, no danger is to be seen.

HHO is about 3 times more powerful than gasoline vapor. Meaning 1L of HHO would give your vehicle 300% more power than 1L of gasoline vapor. But feeding an engine pure hho would destroy it due to the fact timing is advanced(spark before TDC) on most vehicles but needs to be retarded(spark after TDC). Also the temperature at which HHO Burns is melting point of the metal it touches. SO...your valves and head would burn through in a matter of weeks. Also in diesel engines if you completely remove diesel from an engine the upper cylinder gets no lubrication and will wear out your piston rings FAST.

CONCLUSION!

I have tested many systems and put over $5000 into it all, I have built many different cells and tried many electronics. I have come to a conclusion that as of yet, there is no system out there worth "investing" into just yet. The reason for this is that the energy your car has to spend turning an alternator at full load is equal to running your a/c compressor full time and the fact that your battery suffers from this is even more costly. Add it all up and this "investment" isnt quite that. The cleaning of the cell and the measuring of electrolyte is also time consuming. Keeping it from freezing is also a hassle.

I have run a "Smacksbooster" cell in a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. I was able to maintain a steady 25-30% increase in economy with a MAP enhancer. If you want to build a cell, build this one, it is fairly cheap and requires no special parts best of all if you use KOH (potassium hydroxide) and distilled water it typically requires no cleaning or maintenance except for adding water. UPDATE: I have tried the Smacksbooster setup on a 1998 Subaru Outback 2.5 DOHC. My trip was from Salt Lake City, UT to Portland, OR, 1600 miles roundtrip. I was unable to get an increase in mileage at all.

Fuel magnets do not work on gasoline cars as I have tested several different vehicles. They do help diesel engines. Several people for whom I have installed my magnets, say increases of 5-20% in economy. Stay away from Fuel Master (cheap ceramic magnets).

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (01-11-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #593 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Omfg
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #594 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxc View Post
On Bruce's engine "why inject water after alot of heat is gone out the exhaust valve!"
If I remember the magazine article correctly, it was to use the residual heat left in the cylinders & heads for more power. He let the ICE do the 4 strokes normally, but then instead of going back to "intake" (from the intake manifold), he added 2 more strokes - a water injection somewhere near TDC, which would rapidly turn to steam, cool everything in the process, and also drive the cylinder down for another "power stroke". After that, another exhaust stroke to dump the steam. Thus a "6 stroke" engine - 4 "conventional" & 2 more steam.

The benefits were more power for the gas (or diesel) burned, and a tremendous cooling effect. As I recall, he believed that, when perfected, this could eliminate the entire cooling system - radiator, etc.

The "mechanical types" I talked to after reading it thought the possible pitfall might be the radical temperature changes inside the engine as the gas heated it up & then the water cooled it back down again. Will the metals and other materials be able to withstand the stresses of much higher temperature fluctuations every 6 strokes?

Then also, as mentioned previously on here, could the water tend to dilute the oil? The rings would have to seal really well, even as the steam tries to "steam clean" the oil off the cylinders each time. In the "old days of steam", I guess the whole lubrication problem with those things was pretty serious. Gotta keep moving parts oiled so they don't wear out, but the steam is contsantly trying to "steam clean" that very oil off of them. A constant battle. They were constantly oiling stuff, and I think, used a whole lot of oil, too. Maybe that would cause problems with todays "environmental rules".

But I personally thought it was a brilliant idea. Seems he said in the article the whole thing would "go quiet" for awhile as he got his patent(s) issued & found someone to take on the R & D and bring it to market. Who knows? Did it get buried? are "they" still working on it? Did they hit a hurdle they couldn't overcome? - mechanical or legal/finacial? I'd sure like to know.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #595 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I prefer to stick strong magnets in my front bumper, then get close to a semi...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #596 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Whoa - I like that idea, too!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #597 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Water Fuel Technology For Everyone. AquaTune Hydrogen Fuel Systems. - YouTube
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #598 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
More water is better!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carpool8uk.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	12248  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
user removed (01-11-2013), Xist (01-18-2013)
Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #599 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Step #4 In the 1977 mechanix illustrated magazine the university of arizona built a hydrogen asisted car. They used waste heat. It got an estimated 50% in increase in fuel economy.
http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/ep...3/zam2077a.jpg
Old 08-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #600 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Step #4 In the 1977 mechanix illustrated magazine the university of arizona built a hydrogen asisted car. They used waste heat. It got an estimated 50% in increase in fuel economy.
If I recall correctly they used ammonia and a heated catalyst. Ammonia is just another fuel so I wouldn't say there is much merit to this. It is just a shell game.