Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

civic with bad mpg help

Hey everybody I am glad I found this site! Now on to my problem. I had a 99 civic ex a while back. I kept it stock and in good running condition. It would give me 34mpg average. I work as a courier and have to pay my own gas so I love civics. An accident took that car away. Now I have a 00 DX hatchback. But it's only getting me 31mpg. It has all the stuff from the ex in it. Like power locks, windows, mirrors, and even the motor and tranny. It had a short ram intake and DC 4-2-1 header along with a hi-flo cat and 2.25 pipping with a RS-R muffler at the end. It is stock quiet I'm not into the loud fart can noise. I found the stock airbox at the junkyard. It didn't come with the tube that goes under the air filter and loop to the other side of the fender. But its better like this because it will suck air from the engine bay now right? I've been reading warmer air is better for mpg's. Do you think the bigger exhaust pipping could be hurting my mileage? I mainly drive on highway from San diego to Los Angeles every night. I already did the the normal tune up stuff. Cap & rotor, wires & spark plugs, 5w-20 synthetic oil, PCV valve replacement, first o2 sensor, valve adjustment. Should I change the second o2 sensor? I was told it didn't affect air fuel ratios just the first one is this true? I would think I would get better average mpg's than my old civic since its the same drive train in a lighter chassis. Maybe I'm missing something. I appreciate your help

Last edited by chito; 12-07-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
the hatchback doesn't weight much, if any, less than the coupe or even the 4 door acording to the msn.autos but the worse fuel economy is probably from the performance mods your new civic has...

does it have bigger wheels/tires than your old one? any other mods?

The cold air intake is definetely not helping and who knows what other engine mods are done to the car

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well like i said i took off the after market intake and put the stock one back on. But it's missing the tube that goes down from the filter box and loops to the outside of the fender. So its sucking air from the engine bay. I actually got some 14" enkei rims on it that only weigh 12lbs. So its the same size as stock and lighter. Could it be the second o2 sensor or exhaust making me loose mpg's?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
i'm not sure...the intake sucking air behind the engine will probably do better than by the fender because it's getting warmer air than it would be by the fender

Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I thought a lot more guys would know about civics of this forum. But everybody seems real quiet.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
I am by no means an expert, but from what I understand the larger exhaust is likely hurting your MPG, however it's probably not a huge amount. The lightweight rims are always a bonus. I wouldn't worry about taking in intake air from the engine bay, as GRU said, having a simple warm air intake should be working in your favor.

How is everything else mechanically? Brakes dragging, running rough, etc?

Do you have basically the same driving that you did with your EX? Simply a different route or type of driving can have a pretty serious effect on your fuel economy.

Since your car is a 2000, I would recommend getting an UltraGauge or Scangauge II. If you search the forums here they have been discussed a lot, and everyone I know who has gotten one has seen instant improvements in fuel efficiency.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tire pressures? Alignment? Dragging brakes?

-soD
Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Possibly it has a si trans in it? And just do a compression and vacuum test on the car. Check vAlves.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Don't look for one solution; look for several. It could be the exhaust, or it could be a bad O2 sensor (if it's really bad), or several other things contributing. When my 1998 DX upstream o2 sensor failed, the results were really bad for FE. But it's also worth thinking about the car shape. The sixth gen coupes have a coefficient of drag of 0.32 and the hatch (yours) has a 0.36 because the back creates so much turbulence. That difference is costing MPG for certain. Beyond that, in general, performance mods like the CAT and the headers and the exhaust you have will result in decreased FE, or at least that's the consensus wisdom here. It makes sense too when you realize that their purpose is to increase flow to increase power by increasing fuel burned, right? Or wrong? Could also be tires. Are you running sticky performance tires or new tires? Low rolling resistance, or even good solid used tires with a modest amount of tread wear would be better on the fuel.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Now that you mention the drag co-efficiency, I noticed the hatch didn't feel as stable on the highway as my coupe did. The tranny is definitely an EX. It has the same gear ratios as my coupe. 00 si trannies are for B series motors so it wouldn't bolt up to my engine and they have super short gears. The tires are new. Nothing fancy about them just the plain stock size. I replaced the second o2 sensor(down stream) this morning. Now I'm off to the junkyard to find a stock exhaust system. I researched it a little last night. I found an article out of an import performance magazine that had a 99 ex with 60mm exhaust. The car actually lost power & torque between 2000-3500 rpm. The dyno sheet showed it didn't get the power back until after 4000rpm and then made more hp at the top of the rpm range. So you guys are right again. Thanks for your input. A can scan gauge is now on my christmas list. Please feel free to make more suggestions. Wish me luck at the junkyard.

Reply  Post New Thread