Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #71 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 55.15 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 25.53 mpg (US)
The turbo is the only aspect that worries me. I do very little engine off coasting. Drives me nuts my trip doesn't add in the distance yet the odo does. So my first few tanks we're probably in the 50s due to the 3/4 mile EOC I was doing every day and think I will go back to. I hardly use any power to get up to that speed for the EOC so turbo doesn't do anything. Problem is only time I hit that spot is at night on my way to work. Lights off for a few seconds going 50 mph down a hill gets the hairs raised a bit haha. But I figure I did that EOC every drive to work for over 650 miles would equate to 18 miles missed out on. Roughly speaking that is 1.5 mpg increase since most fills are around 11 gal. Have to use the odometer. Anyways the game display for best 25, 50, 500 miles still tracks the mpg for EOC so why doesn't the trip meter work? Going to look for more places for EOC but avoid doing after heavy throttle. I'm sure your turbo is built sturdier then the Cruze popcan turbo lol. Not sure what psi yours runs up to but that plays a huge effect on how much heat is generated. I suppose I rarely break 5 psi boost so shouldn't have much heat build up at all.

Last night had 16 miles at 43 mpg due to standing water on the roads during nasty small storm. Started when I hit the highway and ended when I got off. Mother nature isnt in my favor that was 28 miles at under 50. This am was clear and netted 55.5 on drive home not counting EOC. Torque app doesn't record when engine is off either so can't get totally accurate.abot 1/2 mile coast on a 13.1 mile commute will add up. 1.25 miles of EOC for about 26 miles of driving 31.25 miles if all things else stay the same add those miles to last tank. Would bump me up to 61.8 mpg.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #72 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

Green Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 62.31 mpg (US)

Wife's Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Base 315K miles
I would recommend calculating your fuel economy by how many miles you have driven on a tank and divide it by how many gallons you can squeeze into the tank. I fill my car in the same stall at the same filling station so I know it is getting filled the same exact each time. If your car is angled on a hill it can vary how much fuel you can get into it and thus why you should use the same stall each time. Then you will know how accurate your measuring device is. Mine happens to be over 99% accurate, so your engine off coasting won't matter because the tank doesn't lie if filled the same each time.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 55.15 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 25.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
I would recommend calculating your fuel economy by how many miles you have driven on a tank and divide it by how many gallons you can squeeze into the tank. I fill my car in the same stall at the same filling station so I know it is getting filled the same exact each time. If your car is angled on a hill it can vary how much fuel you can get into it and thus why you should use the same stall each time. Then you will know how accurate your measuring device is. Mine happens to be over 99% accurate, so your engine off coasting won't matter because the tank doesn't lie if filled the same each time.
Ever deal with an artificial limiter on a gas tank? I have over 2 gallons of wasted space in my tank if I don't top off by trickle filling for 10 minutes. Not fun when you have places to be and **** to do.
Anyways what I was saying is the trip computer doesn't add any distance when EOC. I need to use odometer and subtract to figure out how many miles I have actually driven. I do typically fill up at same pump everytime. So I can try to trickle in my usual extra gallon.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #74 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

White Lightning - '05 FORD FOCUS SE ZX4
Team Ford
90 day: 35.23 mpg (US)

Wife's Speedy - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier V6
90 day: 21.89 mpg (US)
That is odd, the few times I EOC at less than 10mph down a hill for testing purposes, the trip odometer still calculated on the car, and the obd gauges went up also....hmmm

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Old 07-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 75.32 mpg (US)
It might depend on the car. When starting to coast in EOC I switch off the engine by key and 2 seconds later start ignition again, because breaking and blinking light should work. In these two seconds my odo doesn't count. I compared odo, ScanGauge and GPS. Now I know that my ScanGauge counts all while my odo is about 5% less. For counting my MPG I use what ScanGauge tells me always at fill-ups.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #76 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.01 mpg (US)

Tiptoe - '03 Honda Civic Hybrid
Team Honda
90 day: 50.45 mpg (US)
When you EOC, are you coasting with the ignition OFF but the key still unlocked? Obviously unlocked, or you'd be a news item. Sorry, facepalm.

But my car with the ignition OFF, the speedo and odometer (both parts, trip and main) don't work. So I turn off just long enough to shut the engine down, then key back ON so the odo registers. I've never seen an odometer that split how the trip and the main worked, but I have never owned a Chevy either so my exposure is limited.

Take it easy
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 75.32 mpg (US)
Hi elhigh,
as breaking light only works with ignition ON I do the same as you. After that the machine stopped I switch on ignition again and am coasting with ignition ON.

I'm using two odos, the built in and my ScanGauge is counting too. While the built in odo stops counting while ignition is off my ScanGauge goes on showing speed and counting the miles.

Reply  Post New Thread