Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Honda CTX project

I've recently been making a lot of progress with eliminating stored "stuff" and selling bikes/parts, so a couple days ago I put the money gained in that process into a new(er) bike: a very clean one owner 2014 Honda CTX700D (faired, DCT, ABS). It has 10,000 commuting miles, a tall screen, a big top box and a Corbin seat.

Honda CTX700

Is the start on a page about the project, I'll let you go there and read some of my plans. I'll make updates there as things happen, and I'll mention it here when the updates are made.

I haven't gotten the first photos linked off the page yet but they can be browsed here:

Index of /graphics/FF/Honda CTX700

I'm not going hypermiling, but the things I want to do (more FF position, better aeros) should help the fuel economy on what is already a pretty miserly motorcycle. I've read all of the Vetter site info and I'm not sure I want to go the full streamliner route, but on the other hand it might be fun, and this bike will never carry a passenger while I own it.

A big goal is to keep it rideable while I make modifications. I think I've had enough projects so far in my life that came into my hands in baskets and largely stayed that way, so buying something that will let me get out and ride seemed like it might be a better plan.

cheers,
Michael

gil (04-04-2017), jkv357 (04-04-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
gil
EcoModding Lurker

The Drift - '85 Toyota Corolla GTS
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)

!Rally - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
90 day: 27.68 mpg (US)

Cinnamon - '13 Honda PCX 150
90 day: 75.86 mpg (US)
Great choice of motorcycle for your FF project. I'm riding my Honda PCX 150 at highway speeds ~65 MPH while getting 75 MPG. I have seen some CTX riders get something similar on that bigger bike. Recumbent will make it more comfortable for long rides, but have you thought of how to deal with unexpected bumps on the road, long enough suspension travel for that. When encountering bumps on my scoot I stand up, so that I wont get my back pummeled by the shock of the bump. Thanks for sharing pictures and good luck on your project, it should be fun.

GIl
Old 04-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I've got enough left over from my conversion of stuff into money to buy good aftermarket suspension. But I've got to figure out first (as I mention on the website) the minimum full-bump position that is safe and gives the leaning ground clearance I want before I can specify a damper length on the back. The CTX owners who've spent the money on Ohlins, Penske, Race Tech, etc have been extremely positive about how much nicer their bikes are afterwards. Bad roads that used to mean slowing down by 20mph now are taken at speed and with comfort and control. But I'll have to find a good compromise between long enough suspension travel and low enough ride height.

The fairly fresh Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires get very good reviews so there's no need to do anything there. Next is making sure that things that I don't want to drag don't drag and putting quality suspension on. Then I can start looking at bodywork, riding position etc.

I would have preferred the "naked" version without the integrated fairing as a starting point for what I want to do, but this is what came along at the right time at a good/fair price.

cheers,
Michael
Old 04-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I added some more images and linked things into the page so you don't have to browse them in the folder view

Honda CTX700
Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
It will be fun to have another builder working with one of these bikes from Honda's modern fuel efficient family. I hope you get a chance to ride a lot and log your tank fills here and on Fuelly so we can see what type of fuel efficiency you can get.
Is there a neutral button for the DCT that you can press while riding if you want to coast?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

There is a neutral button but I don't know if there is an interlock to keep it from being used when the vehicle is in motion and I have no idea what gear might be selected by the ECU when going back into drive/sport mode. I won't be finding out either, as I wouldn't do something like that. I think there'd be less control when the vehicle is rolling without power, at least it always seemed that way when I missed a shift when racing.

I put a short report on my first ride on the website from a mixture of mostly 30-40mph surface streets and a few short bits of highway. That mix will probably be typical for a while until I get used to riding on the street again.

We've got rain for today and the next couple days so I'll be doing ground clearance/lean angle/suspension parameter checking in the garage. I want to get the suspension ordered soon.

Last night I ordered some Honda Silver Wing maxiscooter master cylinder parts to let me move the rear brake actuation to the left handlebar so I can delete the foot pedal which will simplify relocating the footrests. Once I can get enough bodywork off (that looks to be a long process) I'll be able to measure things and order new brake hoses.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
I think there'd be less control when the vehicle is rolling without power.
I had a feeling you would fall into that camp, being a racer. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I would estimate 1/4 my 40,000 miles on my CBR250R are with the clutch pulled in and coasting for PulseNGlide and rolling the second half of the block up to the stop signs.
Rolling along in neutral would be a prerequisite to me ever buying a Honda with DCT trans. If nothing else it is handy to occasionally shake the cold out of the fingers of your right hand with the clutch in on a long ride.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for sharing with us Michael, I'm pleased we have another FF fan in the fold. I'll be watching progress with great interest.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I've got the CTX on the lift with the suspension collapsed to check to see which are the draggy bits. Unfortunately, some of them are engine parts, and the right side (muffler/exhaust pipe) is worse than the left. Once I finish measurements/photos at full bump I'll raise it until I find the point at which all parts that can't be changed clear 45 degrees, record that height, and then put it at ride height to see what has problems with a 55 degree lean angle.

I've not heard of a lot of people being spit off of CTX/NC Hondas because they grounded hard points, so it may not be a super issue, but I'd like it to be a known non-issue as much as possible. The OEM footpegs/mounts are probably not going to make the cut. A used NC muffler might help ground clearance on the right side.

This morning I bought a lightly used Ohlins from an NC700 from a person who pulled it off the bike he was selling to offer separately. The forks will still need to be dealt with.

cheers,
Michael
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I would think it would be a simple matter of electrics to disengage the DCT to coast and re-engage in high 'gear' if you really wanted to PnG. Not anything I'm into,I like the CTX as it is.

Reply  Post New Thread