Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gigi - '13 Kia Forte EX Eco
90 day: 31.64 mpg (US)

Charlie - STi - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
90 day: 23.03 mpg (US)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatchback EcoMod Thread

Hey EM folks - Finally got to a point where I could get the car I've been after for a long time now.

I'll probably be taking it pretty slow with the mods on this car. There is no roof rack and no mudflaps.

Things I know I'll do:
  • A more complete rear diffuser that reaches farther under the car than the stock plastic hint of a diffuser
  • Take out the Kicker speaker in hatch area added by previous owner - Done; minus 14 lbs
  • DCCD testing to see if any setting makes it easier to increase MPG - Doing
Things I'd like to/might do assuming I can make them look "nice" and/or "cool":
  • More complete underbody (it's not terrible from the factory to begin with)
  • Grill blocks
  • Clear covers for the fog light areas to improve flow
  • Front lip
  • Side skirts
  • Small boat tails from rear wheels
  • Somehow fill in/cover the wheels in a "stylish" way that fits in with the look of the car
  • Flush-er door handles (Lamborghini style?) - definitely outside my current skillset
  • Rear bumper corners
  • Weight reduction by taking out spare and equipment
  • Tire spats
  • Side mirrors folded with alternate mirrors added someplace
  • Stage 1 Tune
Inspirations:The car came with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40ZR18 tires on it - so LRR isn't really a thing with it right now. For sake of peace of mind and safety, I'll likely stick with sticky tires.

And pulse and glide is very fun in this car, especially in Sport # (sharp) mode.

Last edited by Eastwood; 06-23-2018 at 08:48 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome! Gkad you have seen jedi's STi. I noticed your fuel log does not have your combined average FE rating from EPA. That will be the number the log uses to calc how far above EPA rating you take this car. You might add it. I found it on the EPA site and they say it is 19 mpg combined. That means you are already beating average with a heavy stick at nearly 24. Here is the EPA link: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=32534

Totally endorse your take on doing mods for this car. It is too clean to wop with coroplast. Lol. Enjoy your ride. Subscribed to see what happens next.

James
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Eastwood (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, James! Just added the combined number.

That first tank was about 60% mostly interstate travel so I won't always be able to beat the EPA number so handily, unfortunately. City driving is definitely going to bring it down, but I'll do my best!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Thanks, James! Just added the combined number.

That first tank was about 60% mostly interstate travel so I won't always be able to beat the EPA number so handily, unfortunately. City driving is definitely going to bring it down, but I'll do my best!
Key-off at any stop that will last longer than 10 seconds or so (poor man's stop/start technology). I have been doing if for years and am still running a 1998 starter motor.

Also, do you use deceleration fuel cut off mode for braking?

[EDIT: AND BUY ONE OF THESE:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF QUICK LIKE
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Eastwood (06-19-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Key-off at any stop that will last longer than 10 seconds or so (poor man's stop/start technology). I have been doing if for years and am still running a 1998 starter motor.
+1

The less time your very thirsty motor is running, the better your economy will be. A kill switch would go a long way in this car.

That, and sticky tires are probably the lowest hanging fruit.

My previous car had large(r) displacement and very short gearing, and for that reason aero mods were practically irrelevant. Engine-off coasting could more than double my economy on some trips.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Eastwood (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So far engine on coasting in neutral has been helping quite a bit. I had lots of highway miles on my last two tanks, so I feel like my current average (23.9 mpg, 25.8% above EPA - June 19, 2018) is a bit inflated compared to what I'll get with more tanks for added sample.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
So far engine on coasting in neutral has been helping quite a bit. I had lots of highway miles on my last two tanks, so I feel like my current average (23.9 mpg, 25.8% above EPA - June 19, 2018) is a bit inflated compared to what I'll get with more tanks for added sample.
Congrats on the higher numbers. Not sure if you are replying to my post or another or none... but DFCO is not engine off coasting, if you are replying to my post. DFCO is engine on, in gear, to slow the car instead of braking. Your computer will automatically shut off the injectors when you take your foot off the gas. ...

Eastwood (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey James, wasn't replying to anyone in particular - just updating.

I mention engine on coasting because 1, I'm not quite ready to commit to something like a kill switch, and 2, my last car was an automatic so I feel much better about coasting in neutral with this manual car. It's so much nicer and seems to coast easier and farther too.

So these STi's have a cool feature called the DCCD or driver controlled center differential.

Through that, we can control the initial limited slip differential torque. The car's quick reference guide says this, "This system adjusts the torque-distribution ratio between the front and rear wheels of the center differential to suit driving and road surface conditions."

The 4 pages in the owner's manual don't mention torque-distribution between front and rear wheels (although it does mention left to right). It's language focuses on how the car responds and what each mode would be best suited to (Auto + or manually increasing the initial LSD torque is for slippery or questionable traction situations and Auto - or manually reducing the initial LSD torque is for high traction conditions).

It does mention that "A higher initial LSD torque setting gives the vehicle greater traction when driving straight ahead but makes cornering more difficult. Remember this when adjusting the initial LSD torque. In general, higher initial LSD torque settings assist driving on slippery roads and lower settings for non-slippery roads. When the vehicle is stuck in snow or mud, setting the initial LSD torque to the maximum [LOCK, if you're familiar with these vehicles] will help to free the vehicle."

My question for you guys would be am I wrong to interpret that I can use this somehow to make the car roll easier aka get better mileage on the highway and/or city? (and being safe about weather and driving conditions and sticking to the Auto and + - when the drive might be questionable)

With a minimal amount of Googling, here's some logic from a 2008 post over on the iwsti.com forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry_ed
In a straight line (i.e. on the highway), DCCD AUTO will default to DCCD LOCK. There will be more friction (it's very easy to imagine this for an AWD car that uses a viscous type center diff to keep the fronts and rears rotating at the same speed), and therefore you will have to push the GO pedal a bit harder on the highway to keep up to speed, compared to having the DCCD in OPEN. You know, because friction = heat loss = more power loss.

In the city, there are lots of turns, and DCCD AUTO will default to DCCD OPEN. So it's not that much different than just setting it manually to OPEN. It seems very obvious to me that you should see a non-negligible mpg difference on the highway and a negligible mpg difference in the city, as CRASH1973 showed...
Source Post, Source Thread.

I like the simplified logic presented in that post (might be too simplified, and I think it's effective to make the point), but I'm probably biased. However, none of the people that were arguing against being able to influence MPG through using settings on the DCCD ever responded directly after that post beyond one person that was already in the pro-use-dccd-for-better-mpg camp agreeing with it. What do you think?

Last edited by Eastwood; 06-22-2018 at 11:28 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero, sti, subaru