Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I got my gauge... now what?

Hi guys, i finally received my gauge (which works like ultragauge) and it works like a charm.

After playing around with it for a bit, I am stuck on what to choose to show on the screen.

It has two modes, 1 is idling and 1 is driving. Each mode can display upto 6 stats. And driving mode is turned on after speed reaches 5km/h.

So, what can I set it to display to help me save fuel? I have an automatic Accord.

Currently I have it set to display
1. load (%)
2. instant fuel consumption (L/h)
3. instant fuel consumption (L\100km)
4. trip fuel consumption (L\100km)
5. fuel status (close/open loop/open loop driving)
6. gas petal position (%) <----- this is at 20% when idling, can't go any lower

so pros, please give me some advice on what to show or how to use the gauge to train my driving style and save fuel.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
See if there's another "trip fuel consumption." Have one monitoring the tankful and the other monitoring the day. I also love having actual coolant temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
for the gauge, I use 3 settings all the time and 1 is used variably. Always on is MPG, AVG, and *FWT. When you do the front blocking, it's good to have that coolant temp up at all times, especially when it gets real hot out or you add new blocking. The MPG and AVG are useful to see realtime MPG and AVG... between the two, you can usually see if something is going wrong with your current trip.

For the last spot, I usually shuffle between a few of them, pending on what I'm after. some times it's the intake air temp, especially after any mods to see how it effected my intake temps. GPH is usually pretty nice to watch, especially when coasting in idle to see where my consumption is at the moment. Big difference there between a cold start and a warmed up car!

LOD would be nice, but it doesn't seem to work right on my car for whatever reason... reads 12 all the time and never goes up above ~35. Throttle also doesn't work on my car... any other car I throw this thing on works fine, but this specific one... Ah, no biggie. Work with what you got!

Anywho, if you have a good memory, no need to write down your changes/results. I use mine for experimenting quite a bit, such as trying different techniques and routes. My memory sucks, but I can usually remember roughly what I get on one route versus another, or driving 55MPH versus 50-60 P&G. It's just great to be able to do this and not wait for an entire tank to go by to see the results!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chief Cook & Bottlewasher

Xterra - '13 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
90 day: 19.12 mpg (US)
Intake Temp (I have a WAI so I watch this like a hawk)
Coolant Temp
Battery Voltage
RPM
Current Tank MPG
Current Trip MPG
Instantaneous MPG

That's my main page. I have other pages that I can view with more technical gauges but 90% of the time that's what I'm looking at.

Reply  Post New Thread