Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I've seen it described as 'we'll have to make the windows opaque because every intersection will be like a circle-8 race, and nobody got time for that.'

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
Run on the Hiways down here so Dot musta agreed to crash stats already on them.
The mini trucks are getting imported to be used as a tractor, so they're granted exemption for some safety rules. Then it comes to each state to title them as a roadworthy vehicle or not.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:52 AM   #53 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
In n "Elegant" formation, it would be a Great thing, or even Curtis LeMay formation...All defend All, the risk to All is minimal. Damn, no Browning .50's allowed, well so much for the LeMay formation. If everyone would GO on Green at the lights, that would help!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #54 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Hmmm... as evidenced by the peloton in bicycle racing, wherein dozens of riders ride wheel to wheel every race for miles without incident, flocking is a pretty smart way to use the road and conserve energy. Also more egalitarian, as the lead car changes more fluidly, allowing equal distribution of savings.

Well... it works until someone falls down in the middle of the pack. Still single point of failure.

If cars were much more intuitive to drive, or if drivers were better, we could conceivably drive in such close proximity on the highway. We do it while walking, instinctively... we do it while biking or skating... hell... in big groups on motorcycles, people do it as second nature... why not while driving?

A radical rethink of how we design cars could yield extreme benefits in terms of fuel efficiency and passenger capacity on roads, without resorting to full automation or a removal of human autonomy.

But if automation is good enough to support flocking without making the driver feel like they have no control, that's good enough for me.
Sounds like the Daytona 500, it's ALL great, until one person screws up.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Car trains and trailers

The idea of a car train is interesting but practically speaking, a trailer is what most SUV and Pickup truck owners actually need for the occasional cargo hauling. The problem is most people can't back up a trailer to save their life (it is a skill). The trailer is so much more cost effective than hauling around a larger than needed vehicle.

Somewhere I saw a link to someone's automatic self castering trailer (in reverse only) but I didn't pursue the link. I've pondered how to do this (without grocery cart wheels) for a trailer APU for a pure EV on the occasional longer trip. Practically speaking it has to be simple and idiot proof (at least for the std deviation idiot). Anyone have any ideas or links to such a trailer. I'm not talking about the one wheeled wheelbarrow sized trailers that are occasionally seen. A Google search for "castering trailer" yields a lot of patents I need look at.

Back to the original topic, physics is the only important thing, all else is opinion. Cab over designs are practical but deadly in a collision. Life in most of the world isn't as precious as in the US and western Europe (so far). The occupants are trading utility for the risk of dying in a crash. Keep that in mind if you have or drive one.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #56 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
All they're really getting is a slight maneuverability advantage in tight quarters.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
All they're really getting is a slight maneuverability advantage in tight quarters.
Cab-forward or single-wheel trailer? Both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri_TX
...self castering trailer (in reverse only)...for a trailer APU for a pure EV on the occasional longer trip.

A powered, castering wheel at the extreme rear could need an Arduino chip or some fancy analog computation to preclude unwanted surprises.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #58 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
A powered, castering wheel at the extreme rear could need an Arduino chip or some fancy analog computation to preclude unwanted surprises.
Instead of directly-powering the wheel, the trailer could hold a portable genset
Old 03-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
[QUOTE]

Freebeard,

You misunderstood me. I was asking about trailers that could be backed up so that NO special skill is require, i.e. the driver could back up without any more skill than the vehicle they're driving.

Afterwards, I did a Google search and there is a company in Florida that sells trailers with self castering wheel(s). They have a single wheeled trailer if that's all you need as well as multiple wheel versions. All have the problem of the trailer deck being high to clear the castering wheels.

I have some ideas of how to make trailer wheels self castering without the wheel having to swivel around like above mention company in Florida. The problem is that it requires power to activate motors to change the wheel's trail in reverse and then again then you want to go forward. Most trailer connections only need to power the various lights (brake, turn, running, side markers). Like the trailers from the company in Florida, dual ball hitches would be needed.

The idea as I said in my original post, is to have an APU for an EV for long(er) trips without the penalties of carrying around a gas motor all the time like the Chevy Volt.

-- Teri
Old 03-29-2014, 03:07 AM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
You misunderstood me. I was asking about trailers that could be backed up so that NO special skill is require, i.e. the driver could back up without any more skill than the vehicle they're driving.
Oh,OK. Make it triangular so it doesn't swing wide on tight corners. That's a problem with the single-wheel trailers.

There's a lot of single-wheel, dual-hitch trailers; and they all tend to have that high deck.

Here's a mockup I did with some parts that were laying around. I was thinking about something else but it shows a drop frame.

If you have electric power and signal to the trailer you could use an electric rack to counter-steer against the front wheels. It might be useful all the time, not just in reverse. There's going to be more wiring for the APU, right?

Reply  Post New Thread