Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
You might also want to check to see if you have any kind of low level allergies which could be sapping your energy.
I know how you feel seasonal allergies, every season. Never used to be like this, I think it is from spraying Rhino Linings (isocyanates)

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 37.05 mpg (US)
Ankit, I dont know much about ecomodding, but I do have some good experience with issues of health. I am 36 and after 20 years of being a typical sedentary american who eats only lunch and dinner, I decided to get back in shape this year, and I found the secret to completely fixing your metabolism by making it normal. I wont bore you with the details, but this is how I turned my health around in a nutshell:

1.) no matter what, eat a breakfast of some kind that makes you FULL, I mean so full you dont want to finish. Oatmeal is good for this, and an egg, and peanut butter on bread... note that I sad AND not OR. Make breakfast the biggest meal of the day, NOT dinner.

2.) In addition to breakfast, eat 5 more half meals instead of 2 more big meals. This keeps your metabolism 'stoked' like a fire, and essentially you are eating the way babies eat... you know, those healthy, happy little people?

3.) UP the protien intake... this means more chicken and more lean beef and more fish and more cottage cheeese and more milk... boo-hoo all those things are so hard to enjoy right? LOL wait, did I just say to eat MORE and not eat LESS? Yes, yes I did. We dont eat enough protien in our diets, we instead eat tons and tons of starchy filler. Up the protein, and you wont want the bread and crackers any more. Also with lean meats you will get a satisfying amount of fat in your diet, eliminating the need for starchy fries and cookies and chips to fill that void... yes we do need fat and even cholesterol in our bodies to transfer blood sugars and protiens. Dont starve yourself to lose weight... it WONT work!

4.) COMPLETELY eliminate all sweetened drinks... PERIOD. HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is the number one reason we all suck. Dont be a slave to it any more... Find an unsweetened tea you like, and make it the only drink you drink other than milk, black coffee, occasional red wine, or water. Dont be fooled by a jug of corn syrup that says its healty fruit juice either!

So there it is, go one week at a time, adding one of the above to your routine... I PROMISE you will feel like a million bucks during the second month, and you will never miss the old stuff.

Good luck and get some exercise too! Cheers!

Last edited by hondaworkshop; 09-02-2008 at 08:57 PM..
Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
ankit -

When I was a young whippersnapper I had the stamina to function on 4-6 hours of sleep for extended periods. The caveat was that I could make up for the lack of sleep on the weekend. Now those days are long gone.

Today at age 42 I need 8 hours to stay healthy, but I rarely get that much, . Too many sub-8-hour days just wears me into the ground. I think my wife needs closer to 9+ hours to have a good day. Every metabolism is different.

I don't want to know any details, but are there other stress factors going on in your life? When I had tough times, I learned to deliberately use lots of sleep to get through them. Maybe your body is just trying to deal with the stress by saying "I'm tired and I want to sleep on it".

Healthy food (especially breakfast) will definitely make a difference. I usually go on Robek's/Jamba Juice binges to try to get through the day when I am getting worn out.

IMO hondaworkshop just said some good stuff.

Hmmmm, I never had allergies in the past, but maybe I have some today. This thread may have helped me more than you, or just fed into my hypochondria, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
I'll start with a good breakfast tomorrow morning (as opposed to cereal and milk OR maybe a banana). I'll see where I go from there and research metabolisms on the internet or whatever. Thanks guys.

I definitely can't really make up for sleep on the weekends but I'll try to get that schedule down pat so that my weekend sleeping schedule doesn't mess it up for the week. I still get 7.5-8 hours of sleep on the weekends but not enough to make up for the draining week.

No extra stress that I really know of, I guess the college application process is in the back of my mind. But that is probably about it.

I guess I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
im 17 and i sleep like 9-9:30 hours a nite when it is good, everyday.
it may be getting up early, when i have to get up early i am tired, no matter how much sleep.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I second the thing about the protein. Sugar (like a poptart) gives you a quick high then you crash. Protein is a more balanced energy.

Im one who functions better at night too. Doesnt matter how early I may go to bed, when the sun comes up is when I get tired.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
Well somewhat amusing thing happened. I told my mom about this and she said she used to have the same problem when she was young. Maybe it is something that only drugs can cure since it might be genetic. But I'm going for protein and breakfast for a couple of weeks and then see where I am.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Danger Ranger - '01 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4
90 day: 14.52 mpg (US)

Moms car - '05 Ford Freestyle Limited
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)

Mistress - '10 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster 883 Iron
90 day: 42.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to meemooer
well from my own experience, and 2 cents.
Depression [not saying you have it] affects your sleeping patterns and how well you sleep at night. Allergies, as mentioned, does drain your body from energy.
Do you do anything fun,or are you a work/school all day everyday type ? I noticed with myself that i don't feel nearly as tired for a few days after going out and having some fun. Doesn't matter if it's partying, just hanging out with friends, or going somewhere, anything out the ordinary effects how i feel for a few days. I guess it's just the way my mind and body work.
Just thought i'd throw that out there
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Some people require more than 8 hours. If your body says sleep, then sleep.
I'll disagree -- I could sleep for 12 hours a night, but I feel better and I'm more productive on 6.5. Everyone is different, though -- so...

Have your doctor draw some blood and (if they're good) run a panel on Thyroid, Monospot, Blood Count, Chemistries, etc. Otherwise, patterns may indicate Depression/Anxiety.

Do you take a multivitamin? Sometimes miscellaneous vitamins or minerals are a missing link in this situation.

RH77

_
_
Old 09-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
21, i sleep about 5-6 hours a day... i feel just fine

are you dehydrated?