Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

IMAC&C aka MIMA for G1 Insight

As some of you know I've been tinkering with Honda Insight G1 IMA control over the years and the BCM gauge was a product I sold a few years ago. Well it all seems to be working pretty well as a combo over the last few few years. I've sold about a dozen to eu owners who have been very satisfied with it.
Now with Mike's agreement (18/6/2013) and the fact Mike's MIMA is discontinued I have decided to release my IMAC&C G1 device for worldwide sale.

There will not be an assembled pcb option at this time. It took me about an hour to build one so it's not very difficult. You need a fine tip soldering iron and good eyesight though as the parts are quite small. The schematic will posted shortly and the code will be provided in hex form and requires use of the simple pic programmer as used in my other projects.

The IMA control integrates with the throttle, brake, clutch signals, for input at present. It also interrogates the BCM data and uses the 5 way joybutton for user control/operation. The pcb also has inputs for the vss and map sensors but these are not used by the present code.

My present code has the core gauge functions, ima battery volts, temp, soc, amps and control over the IMA assist/regen. It has a sport/rally mode where when throttle depressed more than 90% gives full assist.

It has the 5 way joybutton cruise type modes.

Assist/Regen are controlled by the 5 way button.

It gives 40 levels/units of adjustment for assist or regen with my system.

Up = Inc Assist or Dec regen by one unit
Down = Dec Assist or Inc regen by one unit
Left = Dec Assist or Inc regen by ten units
Right = Inc Assist or Dec regen by ten units

Centre = cancel and menu mode if held down.

All the levels are held until cancelled so you don't have to have you hand on the joybutton once you have activated it.
Pressing the centre button, Brake, Clutch or engaging sport cancels previous settings.

So for instance when driving on the flat at 40mph one click right (10 units) gives me about 12A of assist which is held until i cancel it. If I then put my foot down sport mode engages, and you get whatever current the system can deliver at that rpm/soc/temp etc. When you ease your foot back off the throttle system reverts to standby/oem mode or your previous setting.

Price $105 inc p&p for bare pcb and software license payment via paypal to 150mpg@gmail.com

Questions/support etc will only be answered/given via the Insight central forum so do not pm/e-mail me with general questions as they will be deleted.

A signed disclaimer will be reqd before your order will be accepted/processed. (Details to follow)

Here are some early videos giving a general idea.

IMA Control Board with BCM Gauge V2.00 - YouTube

IMA Command & Control Video 1 - YouTube

IMA Command & Control Video 2 - YouTube

IMA Cruise Mode on the road! - YouTube

IMAC&C 5 Way Joy Switch Assembly - YouTube

IMA Command & Control Video 3 - YouTube

IMA Command & Control Video 4 - YouTube

Insight G1 A123 20ah Pack 13 Mile Commute - YouTube

Note some features in these old videos are no longer in the current code!!

Note the steering wheel mounted button has been discussed in it's own thread and is not an easy option.

Steering Wheel Mounted MIMA Controls - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

IMAC&C Gauging Demand? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Hope that helps those wanting to get some more mpg and increase the grin factor

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retepsnikrep For This Useful Post:
Cd (01-02-2015), roflwaffle (06-23-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is this just a scangauge type device, or is it MIMA (manual integrated motor control), or is it both?

Can this be used on a CVT? And if so is can it disable assist and regen. Can i manually set the SOC?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Is this just a scangauge type device, or is it MIMA (manual integrated motor control), or is it both?

Can this be used on a CVT? And if so is can it disable assist and regen. Can i manually set the SOC?
IMAC&C is a MIMA like device.
Turn On or Off Assist at will ( while retaining BCM safeties )
Turn on or Off Regen at will ( While retaining BCM safeties )

OBDIIC&C is a scangauge like device ... but with options specifically for the Gen1 Insight no other OBDII reader on the market has.... this like manually changing the IMA battery SoC ... etc... but on it's own it is not a MIMA like device.

The two are not the same thing ... they can be used together , or separately ... and if built up from the base as one unit then they are one unit ... but they don't have to be together.

Yes they can work on the CVT Gen1 Insight.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats fantastic!

I was little confused because they share some functions when it comes to the battery SOC. I definitely want one.

Does the assist or regen have to be "stepped" up by clicks of 10amps or whatever it may be, or can i get full assist at full up on the joystick, half assist halfway up etc?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sheepdog 44

I suggest read up on IMAC&C and OBDIIC&C on the insight forum.

The IMAC&C does not have a joystick it has a 5 way joybutton. So the assist/regen is in 4 defined stages/clicks. It's very simple to use.

Please post further questions on the insight forum after reading the threads as most have been asked and answered before. Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Plug & Play IMAC&C

New version coming shortly.

Avoids all the harness hacking for full manual control.

Plug & Play IMAC&C - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to retepsnikrep For This Useful Post:
Insight for life (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Sounds interesting, but what does this system do that my clutch switch and regenerative brake button working in conjunction with each other don't already accomplish (for way cheaper)?

Right now, with the clutch switch in the "on" position, on acceleration I get full assist, and on deceleration I hit the brake regen button on the shifter (ilo hitting the brake pedal) and this gives me braking power through the assist motor, along with full charging of the IMA battery the whole time my finger is on the button, and it also turns on the brake lights.

With the clutch switch in the "off" position, I get no assist whatsoever (including forced regens), and I'm able to kill the injectors and EOC to stops without the car trying to re-start itself.

If I'm missing the boat I want to get on it, but the MIMA characteristics sound a lot like what I already have installed, which you can make yourself for a couple of bucks each.

Anybody have one of these, and swear by it? Cause I'm interested if it does something awesome that I'm not understanding.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The clutch/brake switch mods are fine as a first stage. I used them as well in the early days.

IMAC&C allows you to command regen/assist at will without putting your foot down on the throttle or touching the brake.

You can command assist or regen when the car will not normally do it.

So if the car is assisting you can override that and command regen at your choosen level and vice versa.

The system helps the hyper-millers get the best out of the car as you control assist/regen not the car.

Say you are approaching a hill in lean burn and have a good battery soc. By using IMAC&C and without dropping out of lean burn you can increase assist to get you over the hill without mashing the throttle.

I suggest you review the video at the beginning of this thread to appreciate the differences. Also read up on the thread on IC it's all on there.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Say you are approaching a hill in lean burn and have a good battery soc. By using IMAC&C and without dropping out of lean burn you can increase assist to get you over the hill without mashing the throttle.
Ahhhh . . . . now I get it.

In central Florida there are almost no "hills", but there are a bunch of gentle rises all along my daily commute where being able to use assist without dropping out of lean burn would be of great benefit.

IC's usually too wordy for me to get through a long thread like I'm sure this one is, but your two sentences pretty much sold me!

Reply  Post New Thread