Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Efficiency freak

Frugolf - '96 VW Golf wagon
90 day: 40.36 mpg (US)
Intake manifold heater

Cold starts suck! One good solution is a block heater, but that doesn't work for the drive home (no outlet at work). A Prius-style Thermos for the coolant would be cool, but that's complicated and requires a mighty big Thermos (or several of them) if you want to heat the entire engine quickly, and the system would probably need to be under pressure.

How about only heating the intake manifold? I read that condensation of fuel on the cold manifold passages is one major reason for high gasoline consumption when cold. Indeed, my manifold has a small electric heater as standard equipment, but that's too ineffective. I'm thinking of something like a bag (hot water bottle) contacting (lying on top of) the aluminum manifold. This hot water (not under pressure) would be stored in a Thermos overnight and pumped into the bag right after a cold start.

Somewhere I read about a warm air intake. Is this for quicker warmup or for improved steady-state efficiency? What's the heat source?

Thanks!

You ever notice that birds pulse & glide, too?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I would think you would have much better results by dumping that hot water directly into the engine as coolant.

On modern cars with fuel injection there isn't much time for the fuel to cause condensation and cool the intake manifold. Thats IF the fuel even touches the intake manifold. Most designs have the injetors mounted in the head, so the fuel is injected after the manifold.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearleener View Post
Somewhere I read about a warm air intake. Is this for quicker warmup or for improved steady-state efficiency? What's the heat source?
For me, the warm air intake is both for warmup and FE. The air is sourced near the exhaust manifold -- in Winter, this helps keep the intake air within ranges that are more efficient, and gets that sensor input better suited for the ECU's decision for most efficient operation. I've found my engine to operate most efficiently at 90-110F IAT. Nearly all manufacturers (and sometimes between different models) react differently to this mod. It takes some testing...

As far as heating the intake, I'm not sure if that would net you significant gains, as the rest of the vehicle's components have to 'warm-up' as well...

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread