Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Interior Side Veiw Mirrors??

I have a 99 honda civic LX. Great car, only problem: THE SIDE VIEW MIRRORS ARE HUGE! I'm wondering if anyone has tried to put their side view mirrors on the inside?? I must say, I got the idea from looking at aerocivic..its not original:/
But forreal, if anyone has a link to premade ones that I wouldnt have to spend days fabricating that would be great! Otherwise, if you have one, direct me to a link for smallish mirrors I could use for such a purpose

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '92 Nissan Sentra XE
90 day: 37.59 mpg (US)
I tried putting mine on the inside which did not work well I could never get the correct angle in my car, yours maybe different though. But what did work is I got a blind spot mirror and mounted it on my rear-view mirror and then I was able to see around the entire back of the car with just one glance at that mirror, again my car had lots of side windows which helped also. They are cheap so worth a try in your situation and I suggest carefully testing parked with some bikes or helpers to see that you can see correctly.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The blind spot mirror is an interesting idea! I'll have to try that one!
My car has pretty good visibility and I ALWAYS look behind the car when I backup, the only time I really use the mirrors is to avoid running over peoples grass..

What did you use to cover the exposed area on the outside? I was thinking of just cutting a peice of wood to the shape and sealing it well. Possibly covering it with some 3M carbon fiber wrap so it would have a decent look to it..
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Yes, this has been done by several folks here on EM, and they often end up with a convex mirror which gives a better angle, but has the disadvantage of distorting the view, making objects look farther away than they actually are.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
ryan5895 (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How much of a reduction in drag might I be looking at here? Basically, would it be worth it to do it?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5895 View Post
How much of a reduction in drag might I be looking at here? Basically, would it be worth it to do it?
If you search, you can see the percentages people have found. I believe MetroMPG has some really good numbers on there.
I personally refuse to delete my mirrors. I use them all the time, and while it's possible to get by without them, every moment your head is turned completely around is another moment your peripheral vision can't see what's in front of your car. Who knows what split-second change might happen ahead of you when you're not looking.
That being said, I would appreciate it if my car's mirrors were quite a bit smaller. I feel like many cars have unnecessarily large ones.. so smaller external mirrors might be a possibility too.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm going to try making my cabin with a clear shot (clear as in, not opaque and not getting my shoulder in the way) from the inside side mirror to straight back. Since we have to look through a sheet of something anyway (light path from behind the car, bounced off the mirror, through the side window, to the eye) I'm hoping I won't lose clarity by changing the order some (from behind the car, through the side window, bounced off the mirror, to the eye).
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
OP, see this thread.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Bullet - '92 Nissan Sentra XE
90 day: 37.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5895 View Post
The blind spot mirror is an interesting idea! I'll have to try that one!
My car has pretty good visibility and I ALWAYS look behind the car when I backup, the only time I really use the mirrors is to avoid running over peoples grass..

What did you use to cover the exposed area on the outside? I was thinking of just cutting a peice of wood to the shape and sealing it well. Possibly covering it with some 3M carbon fiber wrap so it would have a decent look to it..
I used bondo sanded it and painted over it with a can of black to match the rest of the trim. But the carbon fiber would look cool I think.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Function over form!

S14 - '95 Nissan 240sx se
Sports Cars
90 day: 19.89 mpg (US)

S13 - '93 Nissan 240sx base
Sports Cars
90 day: 25.42 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vrmilionzx
They're overpriced, but i've considered something like this (ST Machine Pig Spotters), mounted to the existing mirror spots. I'm currently considering a project using some spare side mirror as "organ donors" to make smaller profile mirrors...that still work.

Reply  Post New Thread