Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwimbo View Post
For now, I/we have two cats, if you're into that sorta thing, you can check them out on Instagram @18livesofganda (G & A, for Georgie & Albert)
I have a (presumably) Fox Terrier/Miniature Pinscher mixed-breed dog since July 2012, but when it comes to cats all my attempts to raise kittens failed and they died in short timeframes.

Quote:
Mini-Replica is more likely the route that project will take.
... and by that, I mean I'd be expecting to cut most of the floor out and replace it with a DIY ladder-frame. Not sure if I'd make it FWD, RWD, or AWD, yet ... I guess that depends on the budget when I get there. I'm biased to RWD, but I've had all the car-based options in my lifetime(I say that because I have only ever had 2WD trucks).
I'd be all for a track-able caged setup too, but that would push it out of some of the other criterion that I'd like it meet for an around town car.
FWD would be cool for tradition, while RWD would be eventually the easiest to do not just due to parts availability but also eventually allowing you to clear the original engine compartment in order to increase leg room on the front seats. You know, could eventually resort to the rear unit out of those Toyota and Lexus hybrid SUVs, or maybe try some hub-motors. IIRC there was a version of the smart ForTwo turned into a hybrid by Brabus which relied on hub-motors integrated to the rear drum brakes which were adapted instead of the stock disc brakes - sounds like a step backwards when it comes to braking technology, but sure it was a clever space-saving measure.

I'm just not so sure if cutting a stock classic Mini would be a good idea at all, due to their historical value. But anyway, even though hybrids haven't been my cup of tea (die-hard dieselhead who nearly had physical altercations with hybrid enthusiasts when younger), maybe you eventually feel inspired to convert one into a hybrid and shoehorn the drivetrain out of a Prius C into that. At least it would still have an ICE, and since there were classic Minis fitted with automatic transmission it wouldn't feel so weird at all if you took it to classic car shows

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uck-34935.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...wap-33459.html

Quote:
The couple I've seen, or worked on, around here were of the Austin variety. I haven't had the opportunity to find the differences between the originals and what I believe was a Mexican-manufactured vehicle(VIN said it was a 1997 for the one I worked on).
'97 were still British. I don't know if the Mini had ever been made in Mexico, but there was Venezuelan version with a locally-made fiberglass body which had British subframes attached to.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
djwimbo (08-11-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread