EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Introducing Miiself (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/introducing-miiself-23986.html)

kah 11-14-2012 12:29 PM

Introducing Miiself

Well, knowing for quite some time that we would be needing a car, I did a whole lot of thourough research, both on what car i should buy, and how to mod it for better fuel economy. Having decided on a small turbodiesel hatchback, and spend days on ecomodder and other tech forums planning sneeky and stealthy mods, I am now the proud owner of a naturally aspirated gasoline car... Not quite sure how it happened, you'll have to ask the girlfriend for details;)

So here it is, A Seat Mii, one of the VAG triplets (so it's basically a VW up!), a nifty little car with nice handling, acceptable performance and good fuel economy (4,1 liters/100km or 57,4 mpg(US)). I haven't really done anything to the car yet, except for alloy wheels and removed the antenna, as I want an idea of how the baseline fuel economy is before I start modding it. Currently we are on our fourth tank, so it is still "breaking-in" and we are still getting to know the car, so fuel economy is still improving. Last full tank was at 4,37l/100km (53,89mpg).

Check out the garage for the Mii Details: The Mii - 2012 Seat Mii Reference Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com

and pictures of the car in my album, if I cant figure out how to post the here. Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com - kah's Album: Seat Mii

Of the mods i'm looking most forward to, is changing the standard battery to a LiFePo4, it should save 12 kg of weight, sitting high in the enginebay, and directly over the front wheels.

Kris

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ka...-imag0317e.jpg

MetroMPG 11-14-2012 01:41 PM

Hi -

I've read good things about the Up! Reminds me of my 1st generation Rabbit/Golf (the Up! is slightly smaller).

It's not available in Canada/US, and I wasn't aware that the Up was also re-branded with Seat. (What is the 3rd nameplate variant?)

Do you have onboard fuel economy instrumentation? That's one of the first "mods" I would look into.

Welcome to the forum!

MetroMPG 11-14-2012 01:43 PM

PS - you can post images / links once you pass 5 posts. (Anti-spam measure.)

I added one of your gallery images to your first post.

euromodder 11-14-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 339894)
It's not available in Canada/US, and I wasn't aware that the Up was also re-branded with Seat. (What is the 3rd nameplate variant?)

The Skoda CitiGo.

Something you probably won't get to see on the other side of the Atlantic either.

euromodder 11-14-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kah (Post 339879)
So here it is, A Seat Mii, one of the VAG triplets (so it's basically a VW up!)

Good choice for an eco-car.
I'm eyeing an up! Ecofuel (with CNG) ;)

Quote:

Last full tank was at 4,37l/100km (53,89mpg).
Not bad while you're breaking in and still getting to know the car.

Quote:

Of the mods i'm looking most forward to, is changing the standard battery to a LiFePo4, it should save 12 kg of weight
Are these already available for use as starter batteries ??

The Miiupic trio lacks any kind of engine insulation underneath the hood.
It looks like some heat-reflective insulation might keep more heat in the engine bay.

kah 11-15-2012 03:08 AM

Thanks for the replys. I don't have any RT fuel economy instrumentation yet, but when i start modding, I will use the Torque app on my android. With the torque app, I can also keep an eye on voltage and temperatures, so that i know if i'm running safe.

I don't think that there are any LiFePo4 car starter batteries available for the public yet. The battery in the Mii is only a 44 or 47 amp battery, so my plan is to get hold of a shorai LFX36, or maybe two LFX24 in parallel. The engine is only a 0.999 3 cylinder, far smaller than the motorcycle engines those batteries were designed for. My most prudent concern is, that the continous electrical draw is far greater in a car than on a motorbike. For those interested, here' a paper on the benefits of using Lithium Ion batteries in cars http://info.a123systems.com/Portals/...y-advances.pdf (NOTE: Done by A123 Systems, maker of lithium ion batteries.

I've noticed the lack of engine isulation too, but i'm not sure if i'm going to do anything about it. The engine heats up pretty quickly, aparently because "The cylinder head has an integrated exhaust manifold, the engines reach their optimal operating temperature faster with this technical layout."

I'm pretty impressed with the FE figures we are getting already. It looks like 4,1L/100km is doable, even without any mods.

MetroMPG 11-15-2012 08:38 AM

Do you have any specific goals (economy-wise)?

kah 11-15-2012 12:05 PM

Our first goal is to beat the official FE figure of 4,1L/100km over a full tank, this should be posible without any mods. I don't really know what improvements to expect from the mods i'm planning, due to strict regulations where i live, i can't really do all that much to the car (No crazy aero mods...). But i would love to see a 1000 km tank, that would require getting over 28,6 km/liter or ca. 3,5L/100km, That's 17% better than the official figure..
BTW, I'm a former Lupo 3L driver, my parents still have it but the years have been taking its toll on it, to say the least. When we first got it, I used it for a couple of months for my daily commute, thats what got me into hypermilling! I managed to hold an average of 2,8L/100km, I also did a eurotrip, 7200 km, mostly highway driving, and came back with an average FE of 3,2l/100km..

MetroMPG 11-15-2012 12:48 PM

Definitely get some instant feedback going. It will help.

Lupo 3L: makes me envious. Did that car have a factory consumption gauge? I'm sure it must have.

The Honda Insight is the closest vehicle like that on this side of the pond - 2.5L/100km last tank (rated at 3.2L highway in Canada). That's mostly easy country road travel (80 km/h). With a few mods in place.

kah 11-16-2012 08:37 AM

The Lupo has both instantanious and average FE instrumentation.. It was very helpfull when learning how hypermile.
The Mii has a gear shift indicator, the higher spec versions have a FE guages, and if you opt for the navigation and entertainment unit, you can also access FE software with history and statistics, plus you can get all sorts of other information about the engine and car.. Would have been nice on have on the car, but that would have meant that we had to wait for up to 8 weeks for the car, the one we bought was on stock..