Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #251 (permalink)
radioranger

I eat fish almost daily so I am interested, mostly sardines though since they are so good for you and of course easy to carry, bigger fish like stripers or blues i dont usually eat even though they swim around the docks where I work all the time, I understand sardines are pretty safe, LEDs are the way to go for me, they really save money long term, and pretty much trouble free, The two bucks i save every month on electricty from the bulbs i have now are about the most I'll save but invested about 50 to do it so long term good deal. With the cheap price of solar panels now roughly 2 $ a watt on ebay you could power up a pretty decent solar light system for your house for a couple hundred dollars or less and never worry about power failures leaving you in the dark again, pretty basic stuff,

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #252 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Depends on duty cycles. We have CFLs that have gone for five to six years, and we have those that need replacing every other year... typically bathroom bulbs that go on for just five to fifteen minutes, then go off right away.

CFLs are great. And the new ones are getting even better in terms of lumen output per watt and lifespan. While LEDs are coming down in price, I don't see them becoming very widespread unless environmental regulations basically outlaw CFL.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #253 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Another informative NOVA program:

NOVA | Secrets Beneath the Ice

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #254 (permalink)
radioranger

almost comicly my power went out last night ! I woke up of course because it was so quiet, and turned on my led flashlight and small radio, , leds rule as far as flashlights go, , getting a bunch of them . too many untrimmed trees here in CT, can even see the sky without hurting your neck looking up, all that CO 2 is making them grow like crazy! I watched the" how it's made "show on making florcesent bulbs and each bulb got a drop of mercury, so its quite a bit . at the least recycling should be easier, not a 25 mile road trip with a car full of CFLs or florescents. I should learn how to spell. too busy working on the Ranger,

Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #255 (permalink)
The PRC.

Just so you know, this is what AGW prevention looks like. This is a graph of UK gas prices:

The blue line is wholesale, the red is retail.

Note the big difference, especially the "area under the graph" - thats the difference.

So where did that go ?

Evil mad power companies money grabbing as ever ?

Nope.

Renewables subsidies.

Well, as long as the planet is (in theory) safe.

Hang on...

Hypothermia deaths double over five years - Telegraph

Old 12-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #256 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

To note... if we get enough warming and the jet-stream stops.. you'll see even more hypothermia deaths when Europe freezes over...

Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #257 (permalink)
The PRC.

Last study on the jet stream said there was no evidence of it moving at all.

Another non-effect.

To add to the growing list.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #258 (permalink)
radioranger

scare and control , scare and control, The next thing they. are going after is our water, get ready for more regulations and controls, all by un-elected people, all to feed the way overly liberal educated elite, we need more sheet metal guys and good carpenters and electricians, mechanics ETC, not research government scientists trying to justify their jobs with report after report, here in CT they passed a regulation REQUIRING this group to find 6 new chemicals every year to control or scare up about . true story . another almost funny example they were going to cut funding to the the research guys studying the west nile carrying mosquitos, so almost all of a sudden their traps appeared along the roadside, so people could now see them in use . and of course think they were doing something useful , all this in a state where a good crow could fly from one end to the other in a day or so , carrying the virus, all wasted money , one trap would work and they 're here or not, they'd broadcast on the GE controlled media about each towns findings, total nonsense. as far as the topic goes when they pass the free stuff first ,I'll listen, lighter roofs is a start at 100 watts per meter solar heat gain facing the sun, actual figure, if they dont do the free stuff it's all a money and control game .

Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #259 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
An informative video on the time lag between temperature and carbon dioxide in the past:

Something that the video doesn't mention is that we will likely see carbon dioxide be released from the ocean as temperatures continue to rise - and this is a different effect than carbon dioxide released by burning fossil fuels.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #260 (permalink)
radioranger

one thing i've never heard anyone talk about is how sea creatures mainly shellfish lock up large amount of CO in their shells, around here the shellfish population is incredible, so things might balance out that way , lots of factors, plus locked up in sea shells usually is very long term. not like a forest

Closed Thread  Post New Thread