Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #761 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Linky please.
Now just how do you expect me to link to a library? Or do you think all knowledge can be compressed into a few Wikipedia pages?

Quote:
The historian in the videos above stated "catastrophic climate change" as the reason which must have been a natural change in the climate for some reason or other.
I don't do videos. If you know of a transcript, I'll read it. But - just as a general question, not arguing specifics yet - why must this catastropic climate change have been a natural change? Why could it not have been caused, or exacerbated, by human activity? We have numerous examples of this on smaller scales: the changes in Greece, Italy, Sicily, the Oklahoma Dust Bowl, etc.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #762 (permalink)
The PRC.

Ok. That remains a maybe at best then.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #763 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Guy Callendar Called it 75 Years Ago | Climate Denial Crock of the Week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ILgBzfOJmOI

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #764 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Guy Callendar Called it 75 Years Ago
Is this really news ?

Guy Callendar was an excellent scientist who improved upon the work of John Tyndall and Svante Arrhenius into the study of greenhouse gasses including CO2. It is worth noting this from his Wikipedia page

Quote:
Callendar thought this warming would be beneficial, delaying a "return of the deadly glaciers."
You also have to consider his perspective in wiriting this - the early 20th century just 75 years after the world ended the Little Ice Age (LIA).

The basic physics is not in dispute. Move on.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #765 (permalink)
The PRC.

A presentation by Rupert Darwall on his "History of Global Warming"

It may take a while to be processed by YouTube - I'm off to bed...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #766 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
The Hockey Stick Lives: New Study Confirms Unprecedented Recent Warming Reverses 2,000 Years Of Cooling | ThinkProgress

Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #767 (permalink)
The PRC.

The Marcot et al is "not robust" (their words at RealClimate) so that "scary" ski jump graph is invalid, this obviously hasn't penetrated Climate (lack of) Progress yet.

PAGES2k seems to recycle a lot of papers which have been challenged, junked, and even in one case withdrawn due to major error (Gergis et al 2012). (EDIT - retraction notice here).

If I was in someway suspicious of some scientists I could potentially think that it was made up to get these dead papers into the next IPCC report - not that they would do that of course, unlike before.

Did you notice this one from Antarctica ? Not so scary either.

Or this one on lower sensitivity again ?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #768 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
The post on Think Progress Climate is not about the Marcot et al study; though it confirms it.

Quote:
Now a team of 78 researchers (from 60 institutions) in the international network PAGES (PAst Global Changes) has “published the most comprehensive reconstruction of past temperature changes at the continental scale” over the past 2000 years. Their Nature Geoscience article (subs. req’d) concludes:

The most coherent feature in nearly all of the regional temperature reconstructions is a long-term cooling trend, which ended late in the nineteenth century. At multi-decadal to centennial scales, temperature variability shows distinctly different regional patterns, with more similarity within each hemisphere than between them. There were no globally synchronous multi-decadal warm or cold intervals that define a worldwide Medieval Warm Period or Little Ice Age, but all reconstructions show generally cold conditions between AD 1580 and 1880, punctuated in some regions by warm decades during the eighteenth century. The transition to these colder conditions occurred earlier in the Arctic, Europe and Asia than in North America or the Southern Hemisphere regions. Recent warming reversed the long-term cooling; during the period AD 1971–2000, the area-weighted average reconstructed temperature was higher than any other time in nearly 1,400 years.

No “worldwide Medieval Warm Period or Little Ice Age.” Another denier myth bites the dust.

Quote:
Standardized 30-year-mean temperatures averaged across all seven continental-scale regions. Blue symbols are area-weighted averages, and bars show 25th and 75th unweighted percentiles to illustrate the variability among regions; open black boxes are medians. The red line is the 30-year-average annual global temperature from the HadCRUT4 instrumental time series relative to 1961–1990, and scaled visually to match the standardized values over the instrumental period.
Quote:
As you can see, the 30-year mean temperature is already at the highest level in almost 1400 years, and this is just the 1971-2000 average. The 1982-2010 average is higher yet again on this scale.

And so we have the hockey stick, which countless studies have now vindicated — though as the top chart makes clear, within a few decades the hockey stick will soon look more (and feel more) like a brick wall.

You can find everything you could want to know about the new study, “Continental-scale temperature variability during the last two millennia,” at the PAGES website. Here are the “primary conclusions” from the FAQ:
Quote:
(1) The most coherent feature in nearly all of the regional temperature reconstructions is a long-term cooling trend, which ended late in the 19th century.

- The regional rate of cooling varied between about 0.1 and 0.3°C per 1000 years.

- A preliminary analysis using a climate model indicates that the overall cooling was caused by a combination of decreased solar irradiance and increased volcanic activity, as well as changes in land cover and slow changes in the Earth’s orbit. The simulations show that the relative importance of each factor differs between regions.

(2) Temperatures did not fluctuate uniformly among all regions at multi-decadal to centennial scales. For example, there were no globally synchronous multi-decadal warm or cold intervals that define a worldwide Medieval Warm Period or Little Ice Age.

- The period from around 830 to 1100 CE generally encompassed a sustained warm interval in all four Northern Hemisphere regions. In contrast, in South America and Australasia, a sustained warm period occurred later, from around 1160 to 1370 CE.

- The transition to colder regional climates between 1200 and 1500 CE is evident earlier in the Arctic, Europe and Asia than in North America or the Southern Hemisphere.

- By around 1580 CE all regions except Antarctica entered a protracted, multi-centennial cold period, which prevailed until late in the 19th century.

- Cooler 30-year periods between the years 830 and 1910 CE were particularly pronounced during times of weak solar activity and strong tropical volcanic eruptions. Both phenomena often occurred simultaneously. This demonstrates how temperature changes over large regions are related to changes in climate-forcing mechanisms. Future climate can be expected to respond to such forcings in similar ways.

(3) The 20th century ranked as the warmest or nearly the warmest century in all regions except Antarctica. During the last 30-year period in the reconstructions (1971-2000 CE), the average reconstructed temperature among all of the regions was likely higher than anytime in nearly 1400 years. However, some regions experienced 30-year intervals that were warmer than 1971-2000. In Europe, for example, the average temperature between 2

Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #769 (permalink)
The PRC.

The Unthinking Progress post included this graph from Marcot

Except they redated a load of cores, this is what happens if the original dates are used:

PAGES2K has issues too. It's only real role is to be presented in the next IPCC report which is due this year. The IPCC need something to reboot the panic which has wained.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #770 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Really? How is it that the IPCC is "panicking" the Arctic ice forcing it to melt?

Closed Thread  Post New Thread