Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
It's the other drivers fault.

We all know that hypermiling would be easy if it wasn't for the other drivers on the road! I have always had a bugbear about the poor or non existent use of indicators/turn signals by many other motorists but since starting on my quest for better fuel consumption figures I am doubly aware of the impact these lazy/thoughtless drivers can have on my quest for better numbers.
Here in the UK roundabouts are the norm, so much so that they are starting to paint them in the road at every suitable location and almost all new roads are having them built in as a matter of course. The benefit of roundabouts is the allow free movement of traffic with little need to stop, as long as drivers use their signals. There is nothing worse than having to stop for another vehicle who then takes the road that you are on, without signalling. And poor lane discipline (some roundabouts have marked lanes on their approach) doesn't help.
This morning I had to stop for a driver who was sitting astride the lane for going round the roundabout and for going off the roundabout. He wasn't signalling. You've guessed it. He turned into the route I was joining from.
Okay, rant over.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
I think our city planners must have been talking to yours. They have decided change some major intersections and several minor ones to roundabouts. It won't be so bad when their done, but now we have major road construction and people trying to learn how to drive through them, both at the same time. pretty bad right now.
I think our rules are a little different for negotiating them though. I've heard yours are worse to drive through than ours. Here you don't change lanes in the roundabout and you can exit from the inside lane. Just have to remember to yield to traffic on your left.
Still, no one uses their signals here either.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 06-29-2017, 03:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Roundabouts have been a part of UK motoring for ages (1909 saw the first one built) and they are built as new roads are laid down. A recent innovation are mini roundabouts which, where conditions apply are just painted in the road. Sometimes they have a slightly domed centre.

Roundabouts on major and multi-lane roads usually have painted directions and fancy lane markings. An outward spiral. If you get in the marked lane to begin with you never need to move out of it to take the correct exit.
Drivers in the UK are brought up with roundabouts, so there should be no excuses!
What they have had to do, on busy roundabouts on main arterial roads, is install traffic lights. The drawback of roundabouts is they need similar traffic flow on each leg, otherwise some routes struggle to get a fair crack.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
The problem with roundabouts and signalling, is you can't rely on the driver to turn when they signal. If they accidentally left the signal on, and you pull in front of them, you would be at fault if there was an accident. You have to assume a car will not turn until they actually do.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Yes. I normally like to see the indicator go on. Or if they are signalling before I see them, I will only proceed if they can stop in tons of time if I am in the wrong. If they are signalling in error I have no qualms about making them lift off. No guns here! Obviously the speed and size of the vehicle makes a difference. I would never dream of pulling out in front of a fast approaching vehicle and a large truck would make me think twice. With today's busy traffic you cannot wait until there is no doubt. With the preponderance of roundabouts here in the UK, you would never get anywhere.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
I've read, in your roundabouts, you have to change lanes in the roundabout and exit from the outside. Is that right or am I mistaken? In the ones they are putting in here there is no lane changing in the roundabout. There are only two full lanes in the roundabout though with right turn lanes on the outside.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 06-30-2017, 03:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
This is typical of the main road roundabouts we have around here.

As you can see, the lanes spiral out from the centre. It is just a case of getting into the correct lane on approach (usually well signed, with lane markings to confirm the route you wish). If you do have to change lanes you should only ever have to go in to the centre, so you just have to merge into the newly starting lane, and as you are already in the centre you cannot have anyone alongside you.
If you do find you are in the wrong lane, and the traffic is busy and it is unsafe to change lanes, a good driver will just take the wrong exit, turn round, return, and have another stab at it.
Most roundabouts are just single lane all the way round, so you never have another vehicle alongside you.

Reply  Post New Thread